La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Listened to some of The Enemy Within. What a great episode score that is.

2. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

Enemy Within as the first one I listened to. :-)

Friday's Child was the second. It's fascinating how much it sounds like a hybrid of Amok Time and Paradise Syndrome.

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"LaLa Land Employee3" informed me today that mine is on its way Down Under. I'm leaving Australia for the USA on the 23rd, so I strongly suspect the parcel and I may miss each other, and it'll have to sit here till I'm back a month later. Sigh.

Totally agree!

4. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

T'Grinch (T'Bonz) is a she.

Also a moderator, I believe.

5. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Worth every dollar. Its rare to have decades-long dreams come true, so this is a 100% win! :)

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got the set last night. I was listening to season 1 disc 5 and season 3 disc 5. This collection has some awesome stuff in it. So far the CDs do not show up with track names when trying to import them into iTunes, and grace note doesn't recognize them yet.

I really like the booklets that come with the set. The only thing I don't like about the set are the damn cases they used for the CDs, what a pain in the tail they are.

-Chris

7. Racer_X

Racer_X Commander Red Shirt

Well, the USPS tracking status for my set was "Out for Delivery" all day yesterday, but was never delivered, and now the tracking says "Delivery status not updated" - and a quick Google search for this phrase indicates that it's not a positive sign. Hopefully it's just a minor problem, and my set will be delivered today, or I'll be an unhappy camper.

What's really frustrating is that I successfully receive multiple UPS & FedEx shipments on a weekly basis, but the only two shipping problems I've had this year have been with the Post Office - and ironically, both times it was for items purchased from La-La Land Records! Do they have bad mojo or what?

Why any company continues to use the US Post Office for their shipping is beyond me....

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm halfway through Disc 2 now. The bad news is, there's a lot of tape hiss on these early ones (I didn't notice as much on the samples from later scores). The good news is, at least I'm not developing presbycusis yet.

Another sense in which the audio quality is maybe a little too good -- I'd never realized how much vibrato there was in the flute performances in "The Cage." At first I thought there was something wrong with the disc making it sound warbly. I wasn't sure until I heard some more sustained notes from different instruments. It's going to take some getting used to.

I don't know if I ever noticed this before -- in "To Catch a T.," when Pike is strangling the Keeper and he transforms into a scary monster and there's this screaming shock/horror trumpet motif accompanying the change, the four-note phrase the motif is built around is the same as the first four notes of the Talosians' theme. Which makes perfect sense, of course, but I can't believe I never noticed that (or maybe I did but I forgot since it's been so long).

Another thing I'm not sure I ever consciously registered: in "Some Corpse" from "Where No Man," which I suppose was for the Mitchell-Dehner sickbay scene where he feigned death, the motif is nearly a reprise of "Vina's Theme," with a couple of extra notes added.

"The Man Trap" has never been a favorite score and it's never going to be. It's interestingly avant-garde, but very repetitive. Still, it provided a number of the most familiar tracked cues from season 1, particularly the act-outs. And it's an interesting companion piece with "Where No Man." They and "The Naked Time" are all based on Courage's second-pilot theme (and his "Captain's Theme" which makes its first appearance in the "Decision" cue in WNM) rather than the main title theme that all the other scores use heavily, so I guess you could say the three of them form a grouping; but WNM and TMT are particularly close in sound and style.

But "The Naked Time" is definitely my favorite Courage score from the pilots and season 1. I'm looking forward to listening to it.

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

In SFF they a Hobbit Anticipation thread and a Hobbit grading and discussion thread, so there is precedent for that. It's fine by me.

She is actually the Head of the Entire Board. She's our boss.

:techman:

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She should get this box for "review purposes". :D

I always assumed it was tracked. I've run into a couple of those now. Mostly with Steiner. A little with Fried.

Amen.

I love that theme. WNMHGB is my favorite. But boy, if he went for "lonely" with Where No Man Has Gone Before he went for ABANDONED in The Man Trap. It's bleak!

11. Dalen Quaice

Dalen Quaice Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

TAPE HISS! Why was this not removed in the restoration?? I didn't notice any on the mp3 samples.

12. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

(pout) Ordered mine mid-late last week, I think, and it still hasn't shipped.

13. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I know exactly who she is. It doesn't change the fact that she came into the thread simply to say she wasn't buying it because of the price, feigned surprise that others were indeed buying it and then disparagingly referred to the set as a "hobby item". She contributed nothing to the discussion, so what would you call that type of behavior? It sounds an awful lot like trolling to me.

Back to the set....I've never once been bothered by any sort of tape hiss on this set. In fact, I was amazed at the quality of those first two discs of Courage scores and the sound quality. And it's something we never would have removed. We wanted the sound of the original tapes to shine through. It's another reason why we didn't add any pseudo-stereo effects to the mono material. What you're hearing it what is on those original tapes.

Neil

14. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The tape hiss is there, but if you remove too much tape hiss, you destroy the detail in the recording.

I don't think it's that severe, to be honest.

And apologies to T'Grinch. :)

I'm definately forming favorite scores with this set.

"Charlie X" has a ton of interesting cues, as does "The Enemy Within".

There are cues in The Enemy Within that reminds me of "The Devil in the Dark". I also get that "Devil" vibe from the final cue of "The Corbomite Maneuver", with Clint Howard's theme.

The Ruk material from "What are little girls made of?" is definately a hilight too.

I could go on talking about hilights and pretty much dump the track listings.

When I'm done ripping and tagging (WMP, using CD-Text as a starting point, filling in bklanks and organizing per episode/season etc.), I'll probably create a CDR of one or two "tracked" scores, with main and end titles, and some Audacity edits. Just for the fun of it.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I was talking to BoredShipCapt'n who said he "believed she is a moderator." I was simply clarifying who she was.

16. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not hearing any hiss. The only tracks that don't sound perfect are The Doomsday Machine. And there's a good reason for that, I'm told.

Well, I'm about to start Disc 15. It's been a heck of a ride. Now I'm going to have to go back and try to remember what I liked most.

I've been thinking about "tracking". The two that spring to mind that I might want "full" scores for are Balance of Terror and The Ultimate Computer.

I have not been as bowled over by season 3 as I was expecting. Enterprise Incident is good. Too much George Duning is too much. I adored Metamorphosis and like Return to tomorrow. But yikes, it's a lot!

Tagging: I'm debating putting the episode title into the track name. I've decided against breaking them into albums per episode. (Well, I though I had. It's suddenly sounding like an ok idea again...) Sometimes it's hard to figure out the episode just by looking at iTunes or my iPod.

17. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

I got mine yesterday - ::happy dance::

This set is brilliant! I am blown away by the quality.

Kudos to those that have completed listening to all 15 CDs. It's just soooo much to absorb, I have no idea where to start! I've just listened to a few Season 1 tracks (The Cage and City on the Edge...), plus a few alternate takes.

18. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What had been the most revelatory to me are the 2nd season cues I thought were composed for specific episode but were in fact library cues by Alexander Courage. The "Fight On Captain Theme" was, I always thought, composed for Mirror, Mirror. The opening credit cue in Catspaw was another one. Mainly because they don't sound at all like Courage's work to me. Also some cues by Mullendore I thought were Steiner, and so on. Amazing what I'm learning. It's just odd to have the score to Mirror, Mirror without the fight music in there. I guess having certain cues left off the rerecordings were good clues.

The sound is fricking amazing! I have no issues with The Doomsday Machine, it's just great to finally have that complete. All of this music! It's also funny how come cues come on and I don't think of the original episode it was written for; instead I think of the scene I associate with it in a later episode. The tracking on Trek was always good, and when we get Apollo's giant theme, I don't think of that episode, I think of seeing the rocket in Assignment Earth.

Love, love, LOVE this!

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else having trouble with the track titles not showing up in itunes still??

-Chris

20. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Blame Gracenote for not updating. All of the titles were submitted over a week ago, before the set was even on sale. If you have a Mac, get this: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=cdtexttocdinfo The discs are CD-Text encoded and that will get the info off of them.

If not, copy and paste will be your friend.

Neil