"Fringe" Blind Buy?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Nardpuncher, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

What you describe as science fiction is more properly known as science fantasy. Rod Serling described the difference this way: "science fiction makes the implausible possible, while science fantasy makes the impossible plausible."

2. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Well worth it. Great show.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Most hardcore science-fiction fans know lots of things about science, and very little about fiction.

4. Ensign_Redshirt

Ensign_Redshirt Commodore Commodore

I like the show, but as you can see in this thread, it isn't exactly everybody's favorite. So there's a 50/50 chance that you might be disappointed. Are you man enough to take that risk? :hugegrin:

As for the "bad science" accusations: Pretty much every Sci-fi show (or movie) has bad or weak science. This includes Star Trek, Star Wars, and Doctor Who. Fringe doesn't particularly stand out for me here... neither in a positive nor a negative way. It never claimed to be a documentary, so I don't see what the problem is. Good science is something you'll only find in literature anyway. Maybe that's because many science fiction authors actually have a scientific background. However, most TV or movie writers simply remember that they once read or heard something that sounded pretty "cool". And then they're trying to use it somehow for their next episode. That's how it works.

But yes, it never ceased to amaze me how Fringe is never afraid or ashamed to do the most outlandish, far-fetched, or ludicrous scenarios. They must be smoking pretty hard stuff sometimes. :lol:

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I'm digging this up because I finally bought the first season and am almost finished it (just saw the one where Olivia finds out she was dosed wit cortexiphan when she was young) and really like it.
    I've already heard about the alternate universe so I'm looking forward to that stuff. I'll be heading out to buy season 2 tonight.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I couldn't get into this show, but a lot of people seem to love it. I was the same way with Lost.

7. MichaelDornFan

MichaelDornFan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fringe is one of the best (if not the best) TV shows currently on...

...But I fully recognize that it took a while to get really good, and that the first ~1.5 seasons are a bit on the dull side. So I can definitely understand how some people had trouble getting into it and gave up. But just about every episode since the end of the 2nd season has been excellent.

8. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You completely lost me there. TF2 more plausible than Fringe. :confused: They are equally rediculous, I should think, but with one major difference. Fringe is far more entertaining. The reason to watch Fringe isn't actually for the fringe science of the stories, but it's the characters that make the show shine.

9. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

This is me as well. Fringe has become a great show, but it doesn't get that way until the last parts of Season 1 and doesn't get consistently great until midway through Season 2.

10. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm thinking it might be JJ Abram's best effort.

11. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

It's true. There's only a few episodes from the 1st season that I thought were really excellent, most of them from the last half, but season 2 and (so far) 3 have been superb.

12. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I've heard this a few times and that's excititng for me as I'm 2 episodes away from finishing season 1 and really enjoyed all I've seen so far and it's nice to know I have even better stuff to look forward to!

13. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Possibly but given the slim pickings as it stands when it comes to contemporary programming that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement.

The series is just so uneven--standalone suck, characters with the exception of Walter aren't that interesting, wacky science deus ex machinas. The only interesting thing about the show is the mythology. Just name all the great episodes and they are mythological episodes--"The Arrival:, " The Safe", "Grey Matters", "August", "The Man from the Other Side", "The Box", "6955 HZ" to name a few.

And I don't see how you can say the show has been excellent this season--it has been uneven with the odd numbered episodes being pretty mediocre. And S2 had a really bad choppy start and there was a slight peak in the middle then followed by a lot of stalling until the season finale.

14. label

Since I can't remember the last time we've had a stand-alone (sometime mid-season 2 I think......) you should be good to go this season. :) (and I agree for the most part, the stand-alone's did tend to be sub-par, especially early on)

I used to agree with you, up until this season. Even Olivia, who was about as much fun as watching paint dry in Season 1 has been dramatically better to watch, especially if her experiences in this season change her. However, while I've always loved Walter, I'm really starting to enjoy Peter and Olivia alot more than I used to be able to.

Sure, it's science fiction that's not looking to justify it's wacky science just like the X-Files.

I wouldn't personally say it's the "only" thing that's interesting, but I will agree it's far and away the most interesting thing. Fortunately for you and I and others who like the mythology, the show has pretty much abandoned all pretense of being a self-contained episodic show where anyone can watch whenever they feel like it to an almost strictly serial endeavor where the main arc is almost always in the episode to some degree.

15. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd disappointed this is a necro thread. I was ready to run to Wal-Mart and buy X-Files.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

They probably still do. I know they're all still on Netflix, and you can buy the first season new on Amazon for about $13.

And apparently... Fringe Season 2 has done so well this Christmas that it's sold out on Blu-Ray.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I want to try out "Fringe," but I am so sick of shows that "take a while to get going." Why should I have to sit through 5, 13, 22 episodes of crap in the hopes that it will eventually get better?

18. label

In this case you don't have to "hope" it'll get better, you've got a bunch of people telling you it will get much better. ;) Look at this way.....ST: TNG and DS9 both had pretty stinky first seasons and look how both of those shows turned out.

Also, I wouldn't say the first 13 episodes or so are "crap" (though there are a couple of stand-alone's that are pretty bad)......most are just derivative, and have somewhat boring lead characters (except for Walter & his cow!) and not would I would consider great entertainment. That being said, there are some that liked it from the get go and just thought the show got better and better so you may be one of those.

Me personally, I didn't think the first 3/4 of Fringe's first season was Mutant X (cringe-worthy) or even Andromeda (mediocre/bleh) bad.....it just wasn't anything I hadn't seen before and neither Olivia or Peter were holding my interest very well. They clearly spent a lot of money on the show from the get go and there's some pretty clever stuff from the beginning.

I mean, at this point you're guaranteed 3 full seasons of the show, 2 of which most people agree are very good seasons. I mean, other than some time what do you really have to lose?

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've also got a bunch of people in this thread saying it doesn't get good, that it's boring, that the science doesn't make any sense. There is nothing to guarantee that I will like it once the mediocre first season is over.

I tried getting into Supernatural, which had a really mediocre first season as well. It wasn't bad, but as you say, it wasn't anything I haven't seen before. I'm so tired of that form of storytelling on TV shows. I don't have the patience for that anymore. Either dive right in or don't bother.

I'd rather use my time doing something else.

20. label

Well, I went back through and I think I counted 2 (or so) people who didn't like the series, even past Season 1. No show is going to please every person, but how many of them are ranked #2 in the top 10 shows on TV right now by a major publication:

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20326356_20452083_20889231,00.html

I'm not saying I agree with that list 100%, just that the show is getting some pretty major critical recognition this year.

Also, I'm not a scientist so I can't say objectively whether the "science" makes sense or not and quite frankly, I'm not sure why anyone would care in a Science Fiction show is the science is plausible or not. I watch shows like Farscape and Lost where the science most definitely is not plausible or likely and that's never stopped me before. As for whether you'll ultimately enjoy it........I think you will, knowing your tastes like I do, but it is true that the first 3/4 of Season 1 is nothing to write home about. Then again, very, very few shows (except for Firefly) are that good out of the gate.