We have lost TrekBBS moderator Mallory.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Bonz, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

D: D: D: D:!!!
    Rest in Peace Mallory!

Cancer, you're really, really, really getting on my nerves! *rage*

2. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

That's just wrong. He was one of the best guys around here. I will miss him. :(

:mallory:

3. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Mallory was an ever present reminder that behind every username on this board there is a real person leading a very real life. Some of those people are facing some very difficult problems. Some of those people are absolutely incredible. Mal fitted in both categories. His courage and unwavering good humour in the face of adversity was an inspiration; this board, and the world outside it, is the poorer for his passing.

4. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

:(

Very unfortunate to hear. Mallory was always a fair mod, and a great poster to boot, so I'm saddened to hear this. RIP. :( :mallory:

5. Lanzman

Lanzman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So long, brother. :(

6. Vulcan Princess

Vulcan Princess Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't interact with him much, but I enjoyed his posts and I loved his avatar. Mallory will be missed. :mallory:

7. Bears Discover Fire

Bears Discover Fire Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

RL had me away from the BBS yesterday, so I just saw this.

I didn't know Mallory too well, and thus did not know that he had been battling cancer, but his level-headed, wise presence on this board over the 9 years I've been here made him an always reassuring fixture of sanity this community. His 'saving ensign mallory' avatar was ever-present in these parts to the point that it and he seemed woven into the whole cloth of this place, and without him, I don't think TrekBBS will be the same. To say he'll be missed is just not adequate.

RIP to a great mod, a great poster, and by all accounts, a great man. :mallory:

8. The Lady Eve

The Lady Eve Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Mallory was such a great guy and mod. It was moving the way he dealt so matter-of-factly with his illness and I thought he had beaten it.

Even while fighting his cancer, he was also very funny and upbeat; he kept running for various offices in his state on a write-in ticket. Just because. We had a great time in the Vices' Lounge encouraging him and coming up with loony campaign ideas. Orac Zen posted an old thread about this last night. It was one of those threads that makes you laugh and cry at the same time.

R.I.P. Mal, you dear, brave man. :mallory:

9. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

This is very sad, especially hearing about a fellow member of a community we're all a part of. Although I didn't know him well, I always liked reading his posts and insights. He will be missed. My condolences to his family.

10. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of all the souls I encountered in my travels, his was the most ... human.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

12. Asyncritus

Asyncritus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm never quite sure; it changes too often.
    I am really saddened to hear this. Mallory joined the board just a few months before I did, and then joined staff just a few months before I did. He was one of the people I enjoyed the most, of all those I have gotten to know on-line.

I almost got the chance to meet him IRL, once, when his work had scheduled him to come to Europe, but then the trip didn't work out. We both said, "Oh, well, it will be another time."

Now there won't be another time. :(

RIP, Mallory. You will be missed.

13. Asyncritus

Asyncritus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm never quite sure; it changes too often.
    Please do so.

Oh, and thanks to frontline and T'Bonz for informing us over at Wordforge. Those of us who don't come to TBBS all that often, but still like to think of ourselves as part of the board in some small way, appreciate it.

14. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didnt interact with him either but his username was familiar. Im so sorry . :(

15. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This really sad news. My condolences to Mallory's Family and friends.i enjoyed reading his posts. he will definitely be missed.:weep:

16. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

BBS has loss one of its own but he'll never be forgotten :mallory:

R.I.P Mallory

17. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Same here. I'm still at a loss for words regarding his passing, though I had suspected it was coming for a while. Just to read about what he'd been through with absolutely bo complaint is awe inspiring. The man had courage and class.

18. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

I didn't even know he was sick :(

Best wishes to his family

19. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

This bears quoting. Travel well, Mallory. Thanks for sharing some precious time with us. :mallory:

20. Quo Vadimus

Quo Vadimus Vice Admiral Premium Member

Oh wow, I had no idea. He was always a nice, funny fellow. He will be missed. :(

Last edited: Oct 17, 2010