So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, the "guy that played Admiral Kirk" had two "helpers", Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens who had written many excellent novels for years, and had worked on the so-called "Shatnerverse" novels with William Shatner. These novels document Kirk's resurrection and life in the 24th century.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

According to interviews that Shatner and the Reeves-Stevenses have given, it's a pretty full collaboration; Shatner develops and writes Kirk's story arc and dialogue, the R-Ses mainly do the rest, but then they go back and forth and revise each other's work, and Shatner has the final say.

Shatner's collaborator on the Tek novels was the well-known SF author Ron Goulart. I'd imagine the working relationship was pretty much the same there, aside from Goulart being uncredited.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished both A Game of Thrones, and ST: Myriad Universes: Shattered Light. The last story in SL, Honor in the Night, was the best story in the collection. I really enjoyed the characterization of Baris and Darvin. Lots of interesting twists in this one. My Rating: 9/10.
    It took me three tries and several months to finish the book, but I am very glad I did, the book was awesome. While it is a little more graphic than the books I usually read, the quality of the characters, writing, and world build were more than enough to make up for that. My rating: 9.75 out of 10.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I think your second paragraph there is meant to be about A Game of Thrones, but it's a bit unclear.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished Indistinguishable from Magic. I have to say that I didn't really like it much. I might come back later and elaborate when I have more time.

Next up, DTI: Watching the Clock.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, yeah it was. I was in a hurry when I wrote that.

7. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    :lol:

:techman:

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

So, I went and read the review thread for Indistinguishable from Magic. Pretty much all the reasons I didn't like it - small universe syndrome, choppy scene changes, scientific concepts well beyond my comprehension - were thoroughly covered there. Though no one seemed to have mentioned the moss zombies - that was the point where, if I hadn't been so close to the end of the novel, I would have given up.

One thing I DID like? The name of the Split Infinite. To boldly create new spatial anomalies!

Slightly off topic, last night I watched William Shatner's Gonzo Ballet on Netflix. I can't decide if it was completely absurd or completely brilliant. :guffaw: :techman:

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently have read several of the older Startrek novels TOS Mutiny by Robert Lawrence, DS9 The Never ending sacrifice by Una McCormack and Ds9 betrayal by Lois Tilton.

10. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Royal Pains: First, Do No Harm by D.P. Lyle last night. It was thoroughly enjoyable and the characterizations were spot on.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin.

11. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just started reading "The Ghosts of Cannae" by Robert L. O'Connell. An excellent history (so far anyway) on the Battle of Cannae.

12. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

Finally finished 'One Day' by David Nicholls on the weekend. I have to say, it was wildly manipulative in the end- I don't regret reading it, but I very much resented the author arbitrarily pulling the strings to get a sentimental reaction out of me.

As soon as I put it down I quickly moved on to 'Prospero Burns' by Dan Abnett, the fifteenth (!) book in the Horus Heresy series. As this is the 'flip side' of the previously excellent 'A Thousand Sons', I am very keen to get my teeth into it.

On my eReader I have been churning through 'A Singular Destiny' by KRAD- while I am enjoying it (especially Sonek Pran- what a character!), it certainly doesn't have it's hooks into me the way other TrekLit books have done, seems a bit meandering and aimless at the moment, and I'm only 50 pages from the end so it doesn't have much time left to focus.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I decided to star DTI: Watching the Clock, and once I finish up here I was also going to start the Discworld Death novel Reaper Man.

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Started Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn again. Must be about 15 years since I last read it.

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Dale Brown's Whiplash: A Dreamland Thriller

16. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm about to start on The Red King after having just finished reading the last 15 chapters of Taking Wing in about 3 hours or so. I also finished Watching the Clock at about 4:30 or 5 this morning.

17. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Started Mission Gamma: Cathedral last night and already got through 150 pages! It's really well done, but then, I'm a big fan of Martin & Mangels as writers. That said, I do think it took too long to get to the "point" when it's stated on the back cover very plainly. As ever, the station-board stuff grips my interest far more than the Gamma material, though I think this Gamma story might be the one I liked the most. (If the Vahni from Twilight are one of the best "alien" aliens.)

I'm also currently reading The Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947. It's pretty good, if I find the author assumes a level of familiarity with mid-16th/17th century history I don't really have. As well, I am a bit frustrated by the stream of consciousness-esque style of the prose. While I'm generally a fan of non-linear storytelling. Having a chapter start in 1701, jumping ahead 23 years just to discuss a coronation not occurring and then jumping back to 1648, without clearly differentiating between the Wilhelms, Friedrichs, Friedrich Williams and Johannes, can get annoying.

18. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I finished 'A Singular Destiny' and did very much enjoy the ending (it does actually come to a pretty good point)- have now started on 'Losing the Peace'.

19. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Diplomatic Implausibilty right now.

20. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Finally made a big dent in ST novelverse pile.

Am currently on David Mack's Warpath. I think what follows are Fearful Symmetry & Soul Key and then I'm caught up on the pre-Destiny DS9 novels. Is that right? Nothing after Soul Key in DS9 novels prior to the big changes in Destiny?

After I get caught up on DS9, I may go right to Destiny. I already know about the big Voyager related plot point in Before Dishonor. I just want to get caught up to Typhon Pact (the ones that feature DS9 characters plus we have David George's duology this year too).

Once I get caught up to current TNGverse Trek lit, I'll go back and read a few of the pre-Destiny TNG books like Before Dishonor, Articles of the Federation, Battle of Betazed... essentially I have most of the books between Diplomatic Implausibility (which I read back in the day) and Destiny yet to read (Footnote: There were so many "Time To" books I only picked up the last one. Was it ever collected? Are the whole "Time To" books recommended?)

Plus I still have all the Lost Era books to read including Buried Age and Terok Nor (but I can read those anytime as they're set in the past).

Whew.... that's a lot of trek read'n onthe horizon, but I'm excited.