Norway-class Navigational Deflector?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Captain_Amasov, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does anyone know where the navigational deflector array is supposed to be on the Norway-class? From this image taken from "First Contact", it looks like it is situated at the top of the ship behind the bridge section. However, there doesn't seem to be any detailed references for this vessel.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I actually looked up as much information on the net about the Norway-class as I could for a fanfic, and pretty much everything I found placed the navigational deflector below the bridge as shown.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  3. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

The photo you linked to does bring up another question, though...on the Akira-class, what are those those things about halfway up the outriggers supposed to be? They look kind of like pop-up radar dishes...

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were never identified as anything specific. They WERE eventually modeled into the NX-01, where they are described as "Warp core output transfer junctions". BOTH of these were directly inspired from the engine superchargers on the P-38 Lightning. Here:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/nx01.htm

As for the Norway's detailed specs, good luck - it was a low-res model (even for the day) that was subsequently lost. Very little true information exists as there wasn't that much thought put into the design in the first place - which naturally led to a lot of fan speculation over the years. I'm a big fan of the Norway having some sort of variable-geometry nacelles, perhaps an analog or precursor of the Intrepid class. The Norway's nacelles look almost as though as they are on rails and can slide forward and back; some think that the nacelles struts themselves can angle up or down. It's highly doubtful this was ever built into the 1996 model, but it would be great if someday the original designer would remember if that was the intent.

Mark

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

On Flare Forums where Mark Nguyen and I post, member "MattC" claimed to have a copy of the Norway mesh (I don't know if he posts here as well, either under that username or another one). I believe him because at one time he had a wire-mesh model of the Emmette from Enterprise, way before Doug Drexler ever showed the CGI model on his blog. He was supposed to post it at Flare, but he so rarely posts there that nothing ever came of it, and it's been years. But he would be the best (and possibly only) person with detailed info about the Norway.

6. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I remember when he posted the "Emmette"! It was always fun to get tidbits like that.

7. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Thanks much! :)

8. Captain_Amasov

Captain_Amasov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that was what I found too. Thanks for the replies though guys. :)