Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Not to mention 2K, 4K and 4K Ultra (UHD) becoming emerging video resolution standards for the next decade and beyond. Even if they do pony up for a 1080p treatment within the next couple of years, it will also quickly become quaintly obsolete in the new order...

Way to stay firmly behind the curve, Paramount/CBS Video!

2. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Compared to a detailed area like Engineering, this officer's lounge is a breeze...
    [​IMG]

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Oooh! I thought of another location. I know it's more likely attributed to the 1701-A and your effort has focused on the refit, but I always loved the nautical feel of the lounge in TFF, with the big main ship's wheel. I got the impression that it was their version of "Ten Forward" (I think they even redressed the TNG set for that), based on the direction the stars were moving at warp, despite the fact that the filming miniature had no matching windows that would indicate its actual position. That movie sucked in so many ways, but it had a few tiny nuggets in it that were quite inspired, and that was one of them, IMO.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

All I can think of is "will you...PLEASE...sit...down."

5. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

...and when Spock finally sits you can see that the furniture might look OK but was rather impractical. He reminds me of the times parents have to sit in their child's classroom seat on parents night...

6. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

You do see the B/C Deck Lounge interior briefly during Spock's arrival- window shapes are correct I think

7. Donny

8. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why not have the bulkhead with the screen on the starboard side only, with an opening on the port side to enter the other area? A panel of darkened glass could retract into the bulkhead to give access. We don't see much of the port side in the movie anyway, since Kirk, Spock and McCoy spend the entire scene on the starboard side.

9. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aren't these also the same windows used for the rec center and would make more sense to put it somewhere else near that set? (I'd imagine you could re-use it for that set as well.)

edit: Never mind, just caught up with the rest of the thread and you're going to composite the two designs (Probert and Johnson) together.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  10. kennysmith

kennysmith Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

YOU ARE THE FIRST PERSON GOT IT RIGHT, THE PERSON WHO IS IN THE OFFICE OF CBS DON'T LIKE STAR TREK. HE WILL NOT LET OTHERS TO MAKE NO MORE MOVIES.

11. Donny

I agree, it would make sense to move this particular lounge towards the Rec Deck since it shares the same type of window. But on second thought, those square shaped windows do not really appear anywhere else on the outside of the ship but the Rec Deck's 8...so there's another problem.

I really want to give this retractable viewscreen bulkhead a try before I abandon it. I've done some preliminary tests, and it's going to be a neat effect. The lights in this lounge will dim as the bulkhead retracts, and the light from outside the ship (a faint blue glow) will flood into the lounge through the windows overlooking the nacelles. I'll post a video once I get it all complete.

12. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Where does the faint blue glow come from? If the warp engines, shouldn't it be more of a purple color?

--Alex

13. Donny

You're right. Faint purple. ;)

But I'm gonna play around with the lighting. It may not be blue. Could be a different color, coming from a nearby star or planet, depending on where I decide to have the Enterprise when I release this project. If I have the ship as depicted in warp, the light will be faint blue-purple.

14. Tralfaz

Tralfaz Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have a bookmark to your site Donny and am always checking there for updates to your work. Which, I have to say is absolutely brilliant. Engineering looks great, as do the other portions of the ship you have done.

15. Donny

Thank you, all of you...for all of the kind words. The feedback from everyone involved in this thread keeps me going!

16. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Nice work. And I thought the fire extinguisher was a neat touch.

17. Donny

Obviously I have to add some more things, but here's a little tease of today's work:

[​IMG]

18. Dr. Stantz

Dr. Stantz Ensign Newbie

By moving Shane's design back and to the left a bit it could work:

[​IMG]

or
    [​IMG]
    (I know it Proberts sketch but i modified it to be closer to Shanes/screen version)
    [​IMG]

19. Donny

Wanted to throw out a couple more shots before I take a break for the weekend.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jesse1066

Jesse1066 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Officer's Lounge looks like a great place to sit down with a book for a few hours. While off duty, of course.