Voyager again, for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by NightJim, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I was thinking of "The 37's" last night oddly enough, though I've not seen it in years. There's a scene where all the ancient survivors have been thawed out, and the focus is on Earhart and Janeway (I think it's Janeway) as a tricorder or something is activated. One of the non-speaking extras directly behind them, a burly bearded guy (Memory Alpha calls him a Scandinavian fisherman), overplays his reaction to the device by jerking his arms slightly, drawing attention away from the main actors. If I'd been the director I would have fired him on the spot, he ruins the scene for me.

2. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I'll be honest, I didn't notice. There's two scenes I can think of, the most obvious is when Earhart is holding a tricorder, opens it and she and the guy behind her are both shocked when it starts making noise and lighting up. There's another one with Kes checking them all medically, so maybe it was that one.

3. Melakon

It must be the first one I'm thinking of. The problem I have is he upstages the foreground action, drawing attention to himself, which a good background player shouldn't do.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I would have been happy with a Rigel VII style painting shot. Something to see just what kind of city they did build, to let the choice the VOY crew show us what they left behind.

And what if half the crew had wanted to leave? If enough knowledge and skill had left that Voyager was seriously compromised?

5. Melakon

After renting a '36 Ford truck for the stage and space scenes, renting a Lockheed L-10 Electra, getting it to the location, and the ship landing/takeoff sequences, there probably wasn't enough money left for a matte painting of the city.

If the crew had decided to stay on the planet? Janeway would have had to start a coffee plantation.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Surely they saw that stuff lying around the props department AND THEN wrote the episode.

7. teacake

That would excuse Catspaw nicely.

8. Melakon

Well, maybe for the truck. Not sure if Paramount would have still owned one of the planes by the time of the episode. Was the studio prop department still pretty extensive then? It was the same type of model Earhart actually flew.

9. Guy Gardener

10. Melakon

Well your Paramount listing got me to thinking. There was a big Earhart movie with Rosalind Russell called Flight for Freedom in 1943, by RKO. RKO's studio later became Desilu, which was later absorbed by Paramount. So yeah, they might have still had the Electra in storage.

11. Guy Gardener

it's why there was so much pressure for to input Time traveling Nazi's into every episode because they have the sets, costumes and props to out fit the hell of any script where it's Stormtroopers (The ORIGINAL kind of Stormtroopers.) vs. phasers?

12. Melakon

Some of those Nazi uniforms were probably the same ones from TOS' "Patterns of Force". Hail the fuehrer!

13. Guy Gardener

Hell, they used some of the same Nazi's as Voyager when Enterprise treaded through this niche.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0091227/

"Dude, if you stole any props or stuff from last time, would you mind bringing them back since we're running a little dry around here for authenticity."

14. Melakon

Yeah, Boehmer sounds like an okay guy judging from comments and interviews, unfortunately his biggest roles seem to have been on Star Trek.

15. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :lol:. I wouldn't have minded some sword & sandal planets but I guess they sold off all the togas and legionnaire armour.

16. teacake

Didn't you hear lurok? Stargate won that ebay auction.

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    :guffaw: I had same thoughts.

Also - when did our forum get so boring? If it wasn't for you and Guy (and few others) I'd slit my wrists. I miss possum and froot. Even R. Star!

18. teacake

R Star HAS RETURNED!

I just saw him. Unfortunately he's chest deep in the VOY bashing threads which also answers your question about boringness.

Oh and froot and possum.. tumbler has eaten them.

19. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

Initiations

A pretty bland episode. Nice to see the Kazon, but I can't help but feel that after Caretaker that they maybe should have been presented a bit more of a problem for the crew. It's big fight, Seska defects, then Chakotay accidentally stumbles into an initiation right. At least the final twist of how the kid passes was a decent-ish.

But more Chakotay faith babble to surround the episode. Clearly only to get him in the shuttle to get events moving. But the logic is a bit off. He needs solitude, but that goes wrong, then at the end of the episode it's okay for him to do it in his quarters?

First Shuttlecraft destroyed
    Since this is now season 2: 74 years to go.

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But picking apart all the flaws in Voyager is a never ending adventure. Each time you always spot new ones!

Nice to be loved though! :)