Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Yeah and I agreed about that in a previous post I made. I was explaining the purpose of the book...not the logic of the book it's self, or the mass publishing of it.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

now at the end of the show where clarke bumps into lois and say pardon me miss lane what was that all about they know lois and clarke are married right. all so what was with clarke showing her the new rings? other than the last bit set seven years from now the hole thing was awesome can't wait till the box set comes out I am preordering mine most deffinitivelly. and what was the hole deal killing tess off for. another question. if they don't do a spin off the could do several movies like B5.. maybe once a year or something to fill in the seven year time frame.

3. Admiral_Young

^ "Smallville" is dead dude. Warner Bros has "Man of Steel" in the works, there is no need for a Smallville film or DTV's. Lois and Clark weren't married during those seven years. That was made quite clear. I also thought Lex made it clear why he killed Tess.

4. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

That... Was... Just... So... Fucking Bad! I can't find anything even remotely redeemable about it. So Lex is back and he's a clone? And all his memories from the last ten years have been erased, so why would he turn out evil in the end? He wasn't evil at the start of Smallville, he ends up that way by the experiences over the course of the series, so erasing that why would end up that way? It makes no sense!!

And the one certainty over years was that in the end we would see him in the suit, even if only for a minute. But we didn't even get that, we didn't get to see him in the suit, it was just distant crappy cgi.

So what was the whole point? I'm at a loss for words! It was like they decided to actually go out of their way to tell each and every viewer that they were morons for watching and here's a big FU!!!

I've never seen a show have more disregard for their viewers. Good riddance Smallville! Rot In Pieces!

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Using a character to read or tell a story has been a framing device in movies plenty of times and they always have the problem of the story-teller, or the book, knowing things or saying things outside its scope of knowledge.

That looked like a standard thickness comic-book, do you really think your typical comic-book has a story in it that takes an hour and half to tell?

It's possible the comic book wasn't as detailed as the episode and retains Clark's secret identity and the identity of his family and friends. During the course of the episode we, as the audience, were made privy to stuff going on that was outside of what was being read from the book.

Again, I enjoyed this episode for what it was and seeing what little Superman stuff we got at the end was good enough for me. I just wish we got the Donner-esque shot of Superman flying over Earth at the end like in the movies.

And I'm guessing the "present day" stuff took place over a year from now since seven years from now won't be a presidential election year.

6. Admiral_Young

The comic book framing device was never meant to have any logic to it. Since when do things on "Smallville" actually have logic? It was just a homage to comic book readers in general and of "Superman" in particular is my guess. Rao...do we have to rip into everything?

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's actually called Smallville man in this sucktastic universe?

8. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All I know is that the kid in the bed was Green Arrow's sidekick, Speedy; and one day, Ollie is gong to walk in and find him hooked on the junk.

9. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite my Excellent vote for the finale, I still would have liked to see Clark land in the street after dispatching Apoklips for the big reveal. The Blur is finally seen or something to that effect. But I can understand them not wanting to spend the money on creating a supersuit just for five minutes of an episode.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Until last night I've never seen an episode of Smallville. I took the framing device as a bit St. Elsewhere's and a bit Alan Moore's "This is an imaginary story... aren't they all?" from "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"

11. Admiral_Young

^ Yeah there might've been a bit of that intended. It was real though not an imaginary construct or anything like that. I'm kind of baffled why so many people don't seem to get the purpose of the comic book lol.

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now that I think about it, they could have done a motion capture suit on TW, like in the new Green Lantern.

Nah, that'd be too expensive for tv.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless Choe can draw like Gary Frank (Gary certainly did the first pages, I think they were lifted from the recent Superman Secret origin, which was a glancing blow at introducing Chloe before they made her Jimmy's girlfriend, but that bit at the end where he's floating above the earth looked like some one else, although I could be wrong.) and she made it herself.

Saying that you'd never watched an episode of Smallville before this'n Allyn, is like saying you've never shot crack before right before you OD.

14. Admiral_Young

I recognized the homage to Secret Origin's cover and Gary Frank's art work. I don't think he drew the Superman image in the final page though. That looked almost Jim Lee-ish.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Average.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It may have also been a homage to the opening of Superman: The Motion Picture, which also begins with a child reading a Superman comic book . . . .

17. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. All of those things were probably the intention of the scene. Here's a question...where was Chloe? Was she in Star City? Was she in Metropolis? Or was she in Smallville? I'm assuming that she and Ollie have a swank place somewhere in Star City. I still think that scene would be made perfect if she'd called the kid "Roy".

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You'd think.

But methink's it's another "Jimmy".

"Jimmy Davis Queen-Sulivan"

(In the comics, Lana called her kid "Clark" so Pete must have been looking over his shoulder for the entire breadth of those nuptials.)

But then Oliver would have been more than certain that his pappy "Robert" needed to live on in a new muck of flesh too.

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

There wouldn't have been any problem with Chloe reading a Superman comic book to her son. That's completely different than what she had in her hands, especially when in the very same episode they go out of their way to cook up some stupid explanation for why Lex has no idea who Superman is.

20. Admiral_Young

Again that scene with Lex and Tess had more to do with Tess redeeming herself than it did Lex having his mind wipe. This bloody comic issue is comical now how it's being nitpicked.