Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, alternatively the "real" set might be mirrored about the longitudinal axis of the conduit thing. It all literally depends on where one draws the line. :)

2. dseabroo

dseabroo Cadet Newbie

I'm suggesting that the line is drawn the edge of the engineering set as we know it, creating two big long conduits with a space between them. One "feeding" each nacelle. I know that I am unique in this perspective, but after years of studying the engineering set I believe that the curved ceiling is more suggestive of the line of symmetry being drawn there than in the center of the of the conduit like it normally is. It also makes for a much different shaped, wider engineering that I found fit nicer into the center of the secondary hull than David Shaw's otherwise brilliant vision current does.

3. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Engineering can't be doubled...we all know that there was a wall there, and on the other side of that wall, the next deck up, was the Emergency Manual Monitor room, which overlooked Engineering through a hexagonal mesh grating. Sorry, but doubling Engineering would be too un-canon. The room was featured in several episodes ("I, Mudd", "The Lights of Zetar", "Mirror, Mirror", and "The Tholian Web", perhaps among others).

However, it's a fine idea, just hampered by what we know to exist on the Enterprise.

4. dseabroo

dseabroo Cadet Newbie

We know there was a room there, but we don't know that it was situated on a wall. Perhaps it was a bridge overhanging main engineering. Also, was the perspective out of that window canon? Afterall, we all know that the big long conduit was actually a small triangle yet we're willing to say it was a long corrodor no problem. Perhaps the room was supposed to be further back then it looked. Also in Day of the Dove we see an entity leaving through the bulkhead of the engine room and when we see it leaving the ship exterior it seems to be further forward than David Shaw's design. This didn't stop him from moving it back though. In my designs it was further forward.

5. Donny

We also know that the access to the Emergency Manual Monitor was via a small room with a ladder located just off a corridor, as seen in "Mirror, Mirror".

I studied this setup for my Star Trek Mod. My analysis led to this conclusion of Engineering:
    http://www.jkhub.net/project/screens/project-50-4ovd73oMbh.jpg

This fits nice into what we've seen on the show, and doesn't contradict anything on the show, except I've changed the ladderway access room slightly to fit in with the more important sets.

Of course, it's completely up to Shaw what he decided to put into his deck plans.

6. dseabroo

dseabroo Cadet Newbie

Very interesting model Donny. I'd love to see it rendered higher res. BTW where did you get the idea for the corridor at the top left?

7. Donny

8. asdf1

asdf1 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just wondering Shaw, how long do you reckon'll it'll take to complete them, how far along are they.

9. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the compliments... in the end part of this project is to make available the parts and pieces for others to bring forward their ideas, so it'll be great to eventually see a double sided engineering idea brought to life.

Not very far... the major part of this is making pieces for people to use and my layout ideas are mainly just a proof of concept for that.

I was hoping to have something usable by the anniversary of when I completed my work on the 33 inch Enterprise... but I don't think I'll make that date now. Maybe late August or early September.

10. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Has anyone ever tried to extrapolate an "impulse deck" for the saucer based on Engineering?

11. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, it was trying to make Engineering work in the saucer that convinced me that there was no way it could work up there.

12. Donny

I bet it could work...not the engineering deck we see on tv, but perhaps making a room we didn't see....using bits and pieces of what we know would be in it.

13. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

It's tough to fit any single room near the impulse engines while still allowing for turbolift and gangway passage, as well as power, data and utility connections.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Let alone a two+story room in an area which is only two decks tall and the rim and gets shorter as you go forward (the indented underside of the saucer).

15. Captain Robert April

I did cook up an Engineering-esque room for that area, but there's no way anybody would mistake it for the main engine room.

16. Wingsley

17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

18. Captain Robert April

Actually, I picture that as what the second season engine room area consisted of before the second season refit.

Incidentally, I wouldn't read that episode too closely for tech details. The writers seemed a bit confused about just what part the dilithium crystals played in the power systems (considering how confused the rest of the script is, this shouldn't be surprising).

19. Wingsley

I looked at it this way: if dilithium can play a role in focusing matter-antimatter fusion energy for warp drive, why couldn't it play a similar role for impulse drive? Sternbach & Okuda seemed to embed the warp coil technology to impulse engines in their Tech Manual.

20. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

I think that when looking at dilithium crystals it is best to recall the period of time in which TOS was being produced. This was in the early days of lasers, and one of the best examples of a laser back then was the ruby crystal laser. It is quite likely that the idea that spawned dilithium crystals was a crystalline material that could arrange raw energy plasma into an ordered/organized form.

Given that, yeah, I could see where having banks of dilithium crystals for other high energy needs (impulse engines, deflectors, phasers) would be needed (and useful) on the Enterprise.

Going back to the ruby crystal laser as an example again, the thing that was very important was the geometry of the crystal. This could be why we often saw dilithium crystals in a very specific shape (and why using uncut dilithium crystals was considered so dangerous). The other thing to consider might be the grade (or clarity) of the crystals. Lower grade crystals might work fine for certain areas of the ship, but not in powering the warp engines. You might even be able to bypass the main crystals and use a large number of secondary crystals in emergencies... but with an understandable loss in efficiency.

And this is (again) an attempt to try to get into the minds of the stuff on TOS by trying to remember what the world of science looked like from their perspective back then (rather than trying to apply too much of what we know today).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.