Star Trek: (news network)

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by RobertScorpio, Feb 20, 2010.

1. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

We know that there is some sort of 'news media' in Trek. Jake Sisko was sending his reports to some news service, and there were several reporters in TREK 6 recording the Ent-B's launch.

So why not a TREK show that centers around a news network. It could be about the 'news' while focusing on seven major characters.

1. News exec. Deciding which shows to cover or not.
    2. Several reporters (of varrying star trek races). There are some kind of 'soap opera' dynamics between them to explore.

3. News events that could be covered in single episode throwoffs, or two parter-three parter episodes.

Stories they could cover?

Federation Presidency election
    Murder mysteries.
    Launching of Starships
    Disasters on worlds
    Sporting events
    Miss Universe (ratings episode and lots of scanitly clad women)
    Assasinations
    Undercover stories (with lots of sexual inuendo)

STAR TREK;
    FRONTLINE

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

This idea would not work as a TV series, maybe a limited web-series.

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I agree somewhat. I think it could work as part of a promotional campaign for a Trek canon project. A web-only video clips of Federation of Planets news coverage of some event in an upcoming film or TV series.

4. Rhionnach

Rhionnach Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I prefer things set on ships, like the Enterprise.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fed politics has never been depicted as interesting enough (or depicted at all) for the journalism angle to be interesting. Sounds more like a B5 premise than anything that will work for Trek.

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

My wife likes the idea already. And yes, this show would not be based on a ship (yawn) but would be about events happening all over the federation; and center around characters, including a 'driven' female reporter out to get the scoop, as well as her 'soap opera' love life.

Would it be for the hardcore TREK fans? Ummm...no. It would try to attract young women; the kinds of fans that do not exist at your typical star trek convention...

Rob

7. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd LOVE the idea of using jefferiestubes8's idea of a "web series" promo--for upcoming events in canon and TrekLit.

Perhaps we could have coverage of the complete Bacco/Pagro presidential debate. KRAD showed us their clash over foreign policy, but that was it.

(BTW, that clash reminds me, more than anything else, of the clash between Ron Paul and Rudy Guliani in the '07-'08 primaries. Arafel Pagro's a 24th-century Ron Paul, with the semi-isolationist "no alliances with any foreign powers like the Klingons, or any involvement with their affairs" philosophy. And Nan Bacco, like Rudy and the others, puts Pagro in his place with a little common sense.

Apologies if there are any Ron Paul voters here. ;))

We could also, of course, see webcasts of FNS News as "sneak peaks" of the events of future novels and films. Recall the "Harvey Dent Campaign" leading up to "The Dark Knight". Something like that.

8. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except it would turn off the women with the Sci Fi content and turn off the men with the soap content. And you'd be left with the ratings of Defying Gravity.

It sounds like you're trying to create an anthology series without admitting to it being an anthology. The viewers are smarter than that. If you want a series about the news agency you need to make it about the news agency. Sure, Aaron Sorkin could probably pull it off, but why does the show need to be set in the Star Trek universe? If you can take a concept, remove Star Trek from it and not change the concept, then it probably doesn't belong as Star Trek to begin with.

9. TerraNovan

TerraNovan Lieutenant Commander

I like this idea alot sounds like it could be interesting.

10. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Axanar used this kind of concept very successfully as a promo video.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yep, that's exactly what I thought of. PtA was done very well, I could imagine it playing on one of these screens in Trek's world.

I wouldn't want a TV series based on Star Trek news, but I hope we get more fanfic along the lines of PtA and this. And this.

12. TerraNovan

I dont think you quite understand the premise. It would still be based on touring the galaxy.

Except it would be with the intention of finding interesting news stories instead of exploration(whatever thats suppose to mean)

13. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

NCIS - Federation, or CSI - Federation!

14. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it could work a Star Trek series, since Star Trek is about, well trekking. Through the stars.....

I like the concept, I really really do. But as others have noted, maybe a webseries.

15. TerraNovan

How wouldnt they be trekking through the stars. Theyre reporters, they go wherever the story is.

16. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

i wonder if an ensigns show would be interesting. Just following the grunts basically. Get to see them hanging around the mess, talking about nothing like in seinfeld, and bitching about their superiors. Character deaths would be frequent, because redshirts always die, so you could bring in fresh faces easily.

and then you just follow a couple guys through the ranks.

17. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Like every other show.

So, when they go into a hostile area and are attacked by let's say...the Romulans...will the show just show them hunkering down in their quarters or will the action focus on the actual crew of the starship?

18. TerraNovan

I think like in most real situations, would have reporters desperately trying to get to the front line to the action..

It would actually better explain why a civilized society would have its citzens exposed to extreme danger on a biweekly basis.

19. TerraNovan

Yeah Star Trek Lower desks, is pretty much my favorite idea for a series.
    Just watch the episodes I think anyone wanting mass appeal should walk lower desks.

Its the template for the ideal series.

Especially like the idea that the captain being basically a future celebrity, have the fandom of everyone on the lower desks.

honestly makes me think if seth McFarlane did a show, he could have some solid writing.

Although Im not sure if he would have a destructive tendency on continuality.

20. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Unless they're the ones flying the starship, then they're just along for the ride.

If they ARE flying the starship, then they're not really reporters.