DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I always figured it wasn't always the same hand-- it became the Anti-Monitor's hand or Hal's hand when they were trying to remake things. But only temporarily-- if you can use that term where time travel is concerned. The rest of the time, it's the hand of God or whatever.

Basically, whoever is trying to take over the multiverse gets to say "talk to the hand."

Finally! That explains it!

I want to hear Guy's explanation of why the Inhumans wear masks even though they don't have secret identities.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Holyshit! I just had a fangasm! Just as long no stories feature them getting emotional in the FoS crying over the death of dick-shaped aliens.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

More like malicious omnipotent being makes me think Q. Geez, this is a Star Trek board! :p

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"We've been given the incredible opportunity to show these two icons meeting for the first time at this very early and raw stage in their careers," Pak says. "Neither one of them has ever heard of the other guy."

So, is this not in the New52, or what?

6. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Looking at that Jae Lee art displayed in the article, those look like the New52 suits, with those silly over-emphasized seams.

As great as Jae Lee is, I would have preferred the Meltzer/Hitch team.

7. Fist McStrongpunch

Then someone should let Greg know that this shit's already happened.

8. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's during the 5 year jump in JLA.

9. Fist McStrongpunch

Yes, I understand that, but they already met for the very first time.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why even act like the first meeting between Superman and Batman is some amazing untapped territory? We've seen quite a few versions of that first meeting.

11. OdoWanKenobi

You know, I think I'm starting to get kinda glad that Morrison's Action Comics run is ending. With this issue, I think I've finally reached the breaking point of my tolerance for his complete disregard for anything resembling coherent narrative structure.

12. Trekker4747

Thank you!

13. Admiral_Young

What exactly was incoherent about it? Once again Morrison is bringing things together that he has touched upon prior in the arc. Granted, it can throw you off at times, but I really enjoyed Action Comics #17. Just the sheer level of interference that Lord V (I can't spell his full name) has caused is staggering...and Morrison using the Legion to fix the damage is brilliant. I have agreed that this entire run has been erratic and disjointed. In many ways I would have preferred we just got the original opening arc as Grant planned.

The Sholly Fisch back up story with Jonathan and Clark was awesome. Fisch has been doing great work. He deserves a title of his own, with Sprouse on art.

14. Trekker4747

The biggest part for me is it's not very linear story telling. It's like someone got the script all jumbled up and just rolled with it. I'm still not entirely sure what's going on. But I'll just go on record as being not a huge fan of Morrison's work. I'm enjoy "Superman" a lot more than Action right now, but that's pretty much how it's been since The N52 started.

15. OdoWanKenobi

I've said before that Morrison's writing style is ill suited to a monthly publication format. The nature of comics being what they are, I should not have to go back and re-read the entire run to remember the tiniest minutia that he's touched on. A good comic can tell a lengthy story, but with Morrison's I come in every month thinking I've skipped an issue, or not remembering at all just what the heck was going on, and the issue does nothing to jog my memory. I do not have this problem with any other title that I read.

16. Admiral_Young

Non-Linear storytelling has never been something that has bothered me. Basically the gist of is that Lord V has controlled and manipulated Clark's entire history in order for certain events to happen. He pretty much explained this, the Legion are even just realizing it themselves. Mxy it would seem has been prevented from his role as Clark's "guardian" or stopping Lord V and some kind of big civil war happened in the Fifth Dimension with Lord V gaining power and control .

Remember these are beings from a species who admire Superman ( and Batman in Batmite's case)...Lord V is tainting that or wants that admiration for himself. Morrison even has included the Legion, because as we know, their formation is directly influenced by their admiration for Superman and his legend. In my understanding of the uber-arc...Morrison is actually paying ultimate homage to Superman and just exactly what he means to everyone. I don't know if anyone else has picked up on that, but that is what I've taken from this.

17. OdoWanKenobi

What I've taken from it is: I have no fucking clue what is going on or what any of this is about, but if I don't pretend that I do, all of the Morrison snobs will call me stupid.

One problem is that I think he's introduced far too many concepts, and as a result none of them get the proper development. Ok, we've got V who is the big bad, but then there were angels, and Metallo, and alternate-universe Superman, and Phantom Zone criminals, and more. I just don't feel like the through line has been presented well enough. Instead it just feels bloated and disjointed.

18. Trekker4747

Pretty much how I feel, Odo. Which is why the Superman book and the H'El story has been a lot more entertaining.

19. Admiral_Young

This is why I look forward to the trades when they're released. I agree with your in regards to Morrison's writing style. You get to see the full picture in the trades. When you read it month to month, it sometimes takes you out of the story and you have to go back and re-read stuff. I wouldn't consider myself a Morrison "Snob" but I think I've made my position on him pretty clear in the thread beforehand :) I'd consider myself more diplomatic than some of his hardcore fans are. I think I did a pretty good job of attempting to explain what's going on myself though ;)

The grand finale is going to be huge and probably need to be read like a dozen times to understand it :)

20. Trekker4747

But you shouldn't have to read something a dozen times to understand it or re-read previous books to understand a story.