Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Honestly I don't think the majority of people who buy these sets know or care even which company remasters which season. I have a few Star Trek-Fans as friends that bought the show on Blu-Ray but have no idea about CBS, HTV or Modern Video. I really don't think that us 25 to 50 Hardcore "freaks" on boards like these are representative of the majority of buyers of these seasons.

2. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[/QUOTE]Honestly I don't think the majority of people who buy these sets know or care even which company remasters which season. I have a few Star Trek-Fans as friends that bought the show on Blu-Ray but have no idea about CBS, HTV or Modern Video. I really don't think that us 25 to 50 Hardcore "freaks" on boards like these are representative of the majority of buyers of these seasons.[/QUOTE]

This is a fact that people on this board need to keep in mind ALL THE TIME, it will ensure that sanity is retained along with a healthy sense of perspective. Friends of mine who are fans yet would never post on a message board could care less about who did the remasters on these Blu-rays, they just love the way it all looks.

3. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

For me, I liked all seasons of TNG for one reason or another. I wish the show had retained a bit more of the Season 1 and 2 flavor as it went on, but nothing to be done about that now.

I make up a different group, I guess. For me, quality and consistency of the product mean a lot. I've seen the show many times over and for me it's not a necessity to invest my hard earned dollars in something like say, an HTV level of poor quality work. Season 4, which apparently still has some issues, looks better than HTV overall...so I'll wait for it to be discounted. Seasons 5 through 7 will be an immediate purchase for me as long as CBS is doing all the work though.

4. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

"Friends of mine who are fans yet would never post on a message board could care less about who did the remasters on these Blu-rays, they just love the way it all looks."

Yes, one of the unfortunate side effects of remastered programs in HD resolution which tends to numb or blind the senses for other important issues like proper color, brightness and last but not least contrast levels (with Star Wars on Blu-ray being one of the biggest offenders, most unfortunately). :(

Bob

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I haven't bought, nor do I plan to buy, any of the sets. I've enjoyed following the discussion in these threads, though. :)

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

WHAAAAT?!!!

Just kidding. I must have momentarily forgotten your reason for that. You don't like TNG, you don't have a Blu-ray player/HDTV or you don't have the money?

7. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I refused to buy Season1 & Season2 of the DVD set initially.

ended up getting season2 much later since there are some great episodes onthere, but never got Season1 because it looked so awful.

I have all of them so far though on blu-ray.

8. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I took the time to pause and read Riker's service record while watching "Future Imperfect" tonight. It now lists the Titan as his first command after becoming captain. ;)

9. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Is the gag reel only a minute and a half? All I can find on YouTube.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I noticed another goofy little oddity in The Drumhead. The opening shot of the Enterprise (now a CG replacement) has the ship sitting still in space for a few moments then lurching forward and staying at a constant speed 'til it leaves the screen. Methinks it was originally made to have the fade up from black take place a little later. :D

11. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

Noticed that myself Brillant how they got that in I noticed that riker did a lot with the romulans with the Titan I'm assuming very close to the Titan books. Also I've noticed on admiral Picard,s comm badge that it had a star in the offset of his com badge great HD quality.

I'm loving season 4 but it really should have been CBS digital doing all the seasons the Inconsistency of the effects on the enterprise are disappointing, especially the 4 footer. :-(

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nice easter egg aside, it's a pity no one over there uses a spell-checker. Apparently, Riker once displayed conspicuous "gallandry". :rolleyes:

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool addition... although considering this wasn't his real future but just a fabrication made by Brash from Riker's own memories, I'm not sure how it would be possible.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I have a blu-ray player, and I even bought the complete TOS, but in the last few years I've started to question my need to own any movies at all. As much money as I spent on TOS (admittedly a steal compared to the old VHS prices of $12.99 an episode), I can stream it in HD on Netflix anytime I want for $10 a month. I can stream all the Trek series and films all I want, as well as other things I like, like the Twilight Zone in HD. I just can't justify the expense anymore. All my movies have ended up in storage, donated, or, in the case of my TOS sets, at my dad's house. Of course, TNG in HD available yet for streaming, but sure enough, it will be one of these days.

Even aside from that, I'm just not much of a Trek fan anymore. It's still fun to come here, though, and talk about something that was a big part of my past, as well as to see what's going on in Trek today.

15. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Okay, I remember you expressing that before... it's all starting to come back to me now. :)

The only problem I have with streaming (other than the higher compression and lower fidelity audio), is that things come and go willy-nilly. You know, contracts expire and these streaming companies may eventually decide that something isn't quite popular enough to justify wasting server space and bandwidth on... and it'll just go away. Like forever.

I enjoy Netflix and use it just as you do, but as a supplement only. Right now (since you bring it up) it's kind of bizarre that Netflix is only letting us watch the first two seasons of the classic Twilight Zone. What happened to Seasons 3-5? You got me! Let's say it's just a momentary thing and they'll be back... but say I really wanted to watch the episode "To Serve Man" right now. That's incredibly annoying that I can't do that. But, see, if I own the whole series on Blu-ray, I never have to worry about that happening. With streaming only, you're giving up total control to a company who's more interested in the bottom line and key demographics then any particular viewer's idiosyncratic interests. It's not uncommon for them to shed thousands of titles at a time. Poof! Gone!

16. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Netflix AV quality doesn't even come close to cutting it for me, particularly on an elaborate home theatre system - it really isn't so great. Also, I really like owning the films and TV content I really love, especially Star Trek!

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If you can find the sampler for cheap, you should pick it up. TNG in HD is great to see.

18. Langenscheiss

Langenscheiss Ensign Newbie

Hi guys. I have been reading here along for already quite a while, but with all this discussion about TNG-R going on here, I felt urged to join ;) So first of all, I could not find any Redemption Thread, so I think I just post here. Since I do not own Season 4 yet (I'm waiting for the Italien version to arrive, it's the cheapest offer available for us Germans), I imported Redemption from the US to get a first glimpse at Season 4 material.

On the whole, I am once again very impressed with the overall quality of the episode and the remastering, in particular the colors and sharpness. BUT: What TrekCore described as occasionally crushed blacks really left quite a negative impression on me. Maybe my equipment is not the best and maybe it is just my subjective perception, but compared to the remastered version of "Yesterday's Enterprise" which was also a rather dark episode, the black and dark colors lacked detail in almost all instances. Especially visible, or should I say not visible, in scenes where uniforms and dark hair basically "melt" into the space background.

While this is nowhere near as bad as the DNR issue in Season 2, this is definitely something I do not wish to see in the seasons to come, and it is a CBS-D issue. Considering how much effort was, rightfully, spent on pointing out the weaknesses of HTVs season 2 work and now also of what Modern Video did for Season 4, even down to the blurriness of a single shot, it is surprising to me how little complaints I read about this black level problem. From TrekCore, I could not expect much criticism in that direction because, considering all the exclusive material in their database, that site could be closed down any minute if CBS wished to do so, but I honestly expected more debate about this here and elsewhere. Am I really just the only person that is bugged by this enough to make this a major complaint? Besides, the blurriness of that enterprise flyby shot early on in this episode was far less distracting for me.

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is no debate, CBS digital releases a product you either buy it or not. That is where your "say" comes in. They don't need to hear from a a bunch of anal trek fans on their individual soapboxes as to what is "wrong" with the remasters. They would never get the project done.

-Chris

20. Langenscheiss

Langenscheiss Ensign Newbie

Very funny, just going through the Season 2 thread again. After all, debate is what we are here for, aren't we? Or we might as well call this place "CBS fanclub". To be honest, it annoys me a little that the companys to which the project has been outsourced get so much negative criticism, even if justified, while CBS-Ds work is constantly praised to heaven. Granted, HTV did mess it up, but I believe those guys at blu-ray.com that this was at least as much CBS fault than it was HTVs fault, considering the amount of time, money and experience they had to finish their work.

Now CBS-D had enough time to improve their workflow, so I do not regard me as an anal trek fan by asking them to pay attention to correct colors and contrasts. And bad color correction and contrast is not limited to single messed up shots which appear in abundance in season 2, it is something that affects every scene and thus affects the quality of the whole product. Not saying Redemption is bad work by any means, but compared to many minor mistakes that were debated to death in Season 2, the lack of criticism to the crushed blacks (a few guys here actually mentioned them in their comments on Season 4) did surprise me.