Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

If he had amnesia, how'd the guy who found him know his name was Gregor?

Still tired of Gascon and WAC-47. Unfortunately, according to Wookieepedia, there's still one more episode in this arc, "Point of No Return." We'll have to put up with them for another week. After that will be the final 3 episodes of the Darth Maul/Savage Oppress arc that began with the season premiere "Revival" -- which was originally meant to air later, presumably along with the rest of the arc, but was moved up. (The 4-part arc has been adapted into a young adult novel that was just released, before most of the episodes aired.) That would mean that every storyline this season to date has been a 4-part arc: the Onderon arc, the Jedi younglings arc, this dismal D-Squad arc, and the divided Maul/Oppress arc. Although if this season is 22 episodes like the previous ones (and Wikipedia claims it is, though Wookieepedia doesn't say), there'd have to be a couple of episodes that weren't part of a 4-parter.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Another Droid episode? Crap.....................................enuf Droids already.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not but "Missing in Action" was the 100th episode of the series.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I actually preferred the desert episode to this episode, at least that one was funny. Those two really should have been combined into a single episode.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do think this arc could've stood to be smaller. Picking up again after the long gap just makes it feel even longer.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd much rather see a three-parter about how Gregor will fight his way back to his brothers.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crap, I thought this was finally the end of droid arc.
    As for the episode itself, this was the best of the arc so far thanks to Gregor, but it still wasn't more than OK to me.
    Honestly, as a 100th episode, it kind of pissed me off. It would have been nice to have gotten a 100th episode that focused on the big three (Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Ahsoka), or at least one of them, instead of a bunch of new characters, most of whom no one even likes.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

There was nothing to say his name was Gregor before he was found, was there? It wasn't stated as part of his official record that Artoo had, anyway. Maybe it was in the text if you translated it. I figure that Sullustan just called him that and he took that as his name.

9. Christopher

But Gascon called him Captain Gregor even after reading his official record and discovering who he really was. Presumably his real name would've been in the file along with his rank and service record.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I figured he was just calling him by the name he had gone by since he'd been 'found'.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Another droid episode left? Fudge.

Watching this is becoming a chore.

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But since "Revival" was originally intended to air later, this would technically be the 99th episode.

13. Christopher

^Which just means the 100th episode would've been part 4 of the D-Squad arc instead of part 3. No great difference, unless next week's episode is somehow really amazing.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's probably printed on Gregor's armor and equipment (which the diner owner was keeping stashed away) so it wouldn't get mixed up with other Clonetrooper's gear back when he was still in the Army.

This episode was an improvement over the previous dismal droid/Gascon episodes, if only because Gregor is a compelling character, but the whole "You took me away from the slave army I was serving in and turned me into a slave dishwasher!" thing was bothersome. Not from Gregor's perspective, since obviously the Clone's loyalty to the Republic and later Empire has been programmed into them so they wouldn't question their role (with a few exceptions), but from the series' and franchise's perspective, where the nature of the clones as slaves and the Jedi's/Republic's hypocrisy on that point has continually been glossed over. If they're just making that statement from Gregor's perspective then it's not as big an issue, but if the showrunner's really think there is a distinction between the two, that would bug me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  15. Christopher

^Oh, yeah. That makes sense. I forgot about that.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot about that. Now, that you guys bring it up, I do remember that scene bothering me too.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I think part of the reason why it bugged me is that here you essentially had a clone who was a Jason Bourne type character, where you could explore the nature of his organization from someone who was both an insider and (now) an outsider, and can touch on themes such as whether the ends justify the means and who are the real good guys and bad guys and so forth, or whether such a distinction really has meaning. Obviously that's kind of heavy stuff for a 22-minute animated kid's show, but it has tackled those issues before with the episodes featuring the Seperatists who had legitimate grievances against the Republic.

Apart from the problem of minimizing slavery when it's done by the people who you are ostensibly supposed to be rooting for, it just felt like a missed opportunity to explore something more meaningful instead of just having Gregor regain his memory and then instantly be all gung ho to go back to being cannon fodder for the Republic again. And it also could coincide with the droid's own treatment by Gascon and others. Many of them are clearly sentient beings who are treated as disposable tools by their masters.

What's the point in doing these multiple-episode arcs if they're not going to get into some more thought provoking or hard-hitting themes? It's just felt like three or four disconnected mini-missions so far except for the involvement of the same core characters (who are mostly annoying).

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the droid arc is finally over, and hey Kenobi and Skywalker finally showed up again. Also it was nice of them to explain why a Republic Star Destroyer was loitering around the planet and why it would let a ship from there just land on it.

19. Christopher

That was established last week. The shuttle that D-Squad took up to the star destroyer was the one that the droids on the planet were loading with the explosive fuel. Presumably it was meant to be bringing the last shipment of explosives aboard and thus was expected, though I have to wonder why the Separatist forces didn't bother to meet it when it arrived.

The main benefit of this episode was that Artoo got to play a more central role than he has in most of the arc. Other than that, the main benefit is that it's finally over. Hopefully this is the last we'll see of Gascon and D-Squad.

20. trekkier

trekkier Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Anakin? Obi-wan? Who are those characters? We havent seen more than 2 minutes of them in the whole season!