Urban outs the villain. Maybe.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lonemagpie, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. Just like TNG: Parallels.

All those Enterprises/Worfs with different histories, but being in the same place at the same time.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

You're right of course. But if Cumberbatch is playing Mitchell, then there has to be an explanation of why a human is seemingly giving the much stronger Spock a run for his money.

While there are many possible explanations, the simplest one is that they're using Where No Man... as a template for the new film.

3. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Thanks for the support. :techman: That ST09 is packed to the gunwales with coincidences is something everyone agrees on, I would have thought.

As for Parallels, well you may be over selling that a little. I mean there are an infinite number of Worfs so a few thousand in the same place is no big deal really. However even if it is, that's still only one coincidence, since its all the same problem. ST09 on the other hand had succession of different coincidences.

4. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

I honestly don't care by this point.

5. UFO

UFO Captain Captain

Fair enough, I guess a lot of people agree with you that the movie redeems itself in other ways. I was simply opposing (perhaps a little too vigorously) the assertion that: "Its not a coincidence that so many of the crew met ...".

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In which case Orci would not have given IDW Comics a green light to remake "Where No Man..." in its very first two issues of "ST Ongoing."

7. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless that's precisely what we're supposed to think! :lol:

A death that seemed a little more open ended to me. His body left a whole lot easier to retrieve.

So maybe a double bluff? That version of WNMHGB could be recapped as Bond movie style pre-title sequence, which feeds into the TOS remake expectation... before going off on some alternate universe tangent.

8. BillJ

Why?

Did they even have a story locked in for the film eighteen months ago when the comic was written? And would they let a comic read by, maybe 10,000 people, stop them from doing a story for a $185 million dollar movie?

9. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I agree, ChristopherPike. My first reading of that story ending did not have the same sense of finality to it as WNMHGB.

10. BillJ

Honestly, I've had that Cumberbatch is playing Finnegan in the back of my mind for a while now. A canon character that we know next to nothing about, that is of Irish decent.

Especially if we're getting a take on Heart of Darkness.

11. Therin of Andor

AFAIK, the basic story of the sequel film had already been decided before IDW got the go ahead to do an ongoing series of comics based on the first movie. Orci tells them which episodes they can remake, and he approves each one. He is seeding easter eggs into each issue. We won't realise bits of trivia are easter eggs (eg Dr Dehner once had a relationship with McCoy) and which are red herrings until the new movie comes out.

They wouldn't, but the comics had 77 other adventures to choose from, and yet Orci approved them using "Where No Man..." first up, thus reintroducing Mitchell and Kelso (and killing them off), and remaking the encounter with the Great Barrier. Orci is on record as wanting the comics (and the new computer game) to tie-in to the new movie, generate positive word-of-mouth and create one, big, new tapestry, which already includes the popular "Countdown", "Nero" and "Spock Reflections" mini-series from IDW.

Orci and the Bad Robot team also asked Pocket Books to shelve four tie-in original novels set in the same time period. No official reason has been given, but it's easier to vet twelve or so comic two-parters over several years than four novels that were going to come out in a short timeframe.

To satisfy that 10,000 comic buyers, who are spreading that positive word of mouth, it's highly unlikely Orci would approve a story that duplicates "Where No Man".

Now if Cumberbatch turns up and Kirk says something like, "Gary, my old Academy friend - it's you! But how? We all thought you were dead?" maaaaaybe it would work, because the unseen, offscreen, mysterious past event he is referring to isn't needed for this brand new story about a resurrected friend who suddenly has enough superstrength to battle a Vulcan on the rim of a volcano.

But the film is not going to be a color-by-numbers remake of "Where No Man..."

Yep. Or a shape-changing Captain Garth. I can even imagine Garth taking on Gary's appearance, and Kirk knowing its a fake because "the real Gary died months ago".

12. BillJ

I think there are two reasons you don't rule Mitchell out, regardless of the comics...

1. No one has yet to refute Urban's statement that the character is Mitchell.

2. All of us being Trek fans, have seen how radically some of the films have changed from story to scripting to final product. Maybe it wasn't Mitchell when they first started working on the comic, but as the process progressed things changed and Mitchell did become the antagonist. I refuse to believe they would nix using Mitchell because of the comic.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the reason we can't rule out Mitchell, or Khan, or Garth, or Q is because we don't know who's in the film yet. Once we know who's in the film, then we'll be able to rule people out.

:vulcan:

14. Therin of Andor

That's not the bit I'm refuting. I'm refuting your statement that

15. BillJ

A template doesn't equal a "color-by-numbers" remake.

16. BillJ

1. JJ Abrams, as the director, would have the final say on the story and won't ditch a good story because it conflicts with a comic book.

2. If it is Mitchell, there will be no mention of the comic book. Directly or indirectly.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a double negative. It says everyone has refuted Urban's claim.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No one is going to care about 10,000 comic book readers or their "word of mouth."

19. Therin of Andor

Well, what are you counting as a "template"? Do you require elements such as Mitchell, the Great Barrier, Kelso, Dr Dehner, a lithium cracking station and Dr Piper all to be in place, or just Mitchell and his friendship with Kirk?

Goes without seeing, but he is the one who entrusted Bob Orci with the ongoing supervision of the IDW comics that are leading into the new movie.

Since Orci is the co-writer of the film and the instigator of the comic's approved storylines, I don't expect him to contradict himself.

If Mitchell is in the film there will be some suggestion of a previous event having occurred. They allowed the comic to seemingly dispose of Mitchell for a reason; it's either setting up something for the new movie or nothing about IDW's "Where No Man..." storyline will conflict with the next film.

If Orci and JJ didn't care what IDW was up to, and were happy to let them run loose, they wouldn't have canned the four novels over at Pocket.

Ordinarily no, but Orci seems to have a grand plan. Hence the promise of easter eggs.

And why shelve the four tie-in novels if no one cares?

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the story of the movie was already set when they made the comic. So we already know it won't conflict.