Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

2. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

May she rest in peace. :(

3. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

As if we needed any proof of how much she was loved, both "Elisabeth Sladen" and "Sarah Jane Smith" have been trending on twitter for some time.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Woke up to the news over here. Utterly shocked and saddened by this terrible news. Can't believe it. She was a wonderful lady, too young to go now. I don't think I am overstating it when I say she was one of Science Fiction's greatest characters.

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

shit....

i would think, if anything the S4 and 5 episode will be shown and that's your lot. i doubt the BBC would be so crass as to try casting a new actress as SJS or try replacing her with another ex companion.

6. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

I saw this on Twitter earlier today. I saw her name and all I could think was "I hope there is more than one Elisabeth Sladen" I clicked on her name thinking the worst but hoping the best. Unfortunately my worst fears were confirmed. It was an utter shock because none of us knew about her illness. Her life and her work will always be remembered.

7. Schistocerca

Schistocerca Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I saw the news in the paper on the train this morning and got really choked up, very sad for her family.

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

TBH, Clyde could carry the show easily - they should carry on in some form, but not replace her. A bit like how Taggart continued with the sidekicks taking centre stage after Mark McManus died.

9. Lonemagpie

If it was up to me, I'd show the three completed stories and have novelisations of the other three - with scripts appended as PDFs on the DVD release.

10. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

I can't believe this. :(

I'm genuinely shocked and upset. Sarah Jane was always my favourite companion, and Elisabeth Sladen's wonderful portrayal was a huge part of the character's appeal.

What dreadful news. RIP. :(

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not one to be obsessed with celebrity culture so I was surprised how upset I was when I heard the news. I don't often cry during news bulletins! Sarah Jane was a great character, voted most favourite assistant consistently for decades (she's always been my number one) and I was so pleased that somebody had the common sense to bring her character back. My thoughts go out to her friends and family.

12. Lonemagpie

I think everybody knows she was my favourite. And it's more of a shock than Nick Courtney because he was a lot older and had a few near misses over the last couple of years...

My wife grew up wanting to *be* SJS - she's a role-model, you see, and we just cremated her dad last week, so it's even worse for her...

13. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh geez. That stupid little GIF made me cry and I hadn't all day.

14. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Talk about a double whammy :(

I agree by the way that Clyde and Rani could carry the show, if the BBC wanted to go that route. I'm torn--on the one hand it'll seem so odd without her, but it'd be a shame if along with losing Sarah Jane we never saw Clyde, Rani or Luke again.

15. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone have a link to the BBC report featuring the comments by RTD?

I'm trying to find out more about what is actually being said by people who knew her not commentaries by people writing about her death.

Thanks.

Edit: Found one already (less than a minute after I posted this) but I think there's another one people are referring too.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13137935

16. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

18. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Maybe Luke, Clyde, and Rani could turn up on Doctor Who sometime. As good as they are, I'm not sure they could carry the show by themselves. I really hope they don't try and continue the show with Jo Grant; it's not that I don't like the character, but it just wouldn't be the same.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah I wouldn't want Jo back if I'm honest. I actually don't think you'd need to introduce anyone new, heck have Rani's dad become aware of the alien threat malarky and become the adult member of the team, that would introduce an interesting new dynamic between him and Clyde and I'm sure the idea of a kid bossing the headmaster around would please much of the show's viewership.

This is all academic though, what'll be will be, I think at the moment we should just be mourning Lis.

20. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I think that they should just let it end. No other ex-companions turning up, no sidekicks taking centre stage. Lis is gone, and she was the show.