Was the Temporal Integrity Commission/Relativity/Daniels on vacation?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by roguephoenix, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Neutrino

Neutrino Lieutenant

Re: Relativity

That's the episode which involved a future Braxton. Voyager exploded due to Braxton putting a temporal disruptor on the ship. So it wasn't already in their history, their sensors detected a change in the timeline because someone in their future meddled with the timeline.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!

Actually, this thread makes a strong argument in favor of a whole-sell Star Trek reboot. :lol:

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Just like their sensors should detect a change in the timeline when Nero destroys the Kelvin....

4. Neutrino

Neutrino Lieutenant

Ok, it's 2781 and your sensors (which have a finite scanning range of perhaps 10 years into the future but full range into the past) detects a timeline change, someone from a future time period 2788 has gone back in time and altered history. You immediately go about rectifying the mistake. The mistake is now rectified, because it's rectified in 2781 it doesn't need rectifying in the future because obviously you know it's already done. Imagine it's now 2785, your sensors are still detecting the time jump from 2788 but you already rectified it in 2781 and that information is also on your sensors.
    Your rectifying of the timeline in 2781 makes sure that in 2385 you know that it's been done and you don't need to time jump.

The you in 2781 and the you in 2785 aren't different people, it's the same you and the you in 2785 won't do anything because to that you in 2785 you already went back and sorted it out 4 years previous.

no, because Nero is from their history, Braxton who destroyed Voyager was from their future. They can't detect a time alteration caused by someone from the past because to them it is already done and is history.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

^ they should be able to detect that time travel is taking place, surely they can scan for the properties of time travel and see when it is occuring

6. Neutrino

Neutrino Lieutenant

But it is a part of History, it's not something that's just suddenly going to pop up on sensors because it's already happened 500 hundred years ago! and it is an event that has already shaped their time line. They're not going to see any time line alteration because as far as they're concerned it is already a part of what's happened, to go back and alter it would be to screw with their own time line.
    Detecting new time jumps and alterations by people from the future is different from seeing events that occured 500 hundred years in the past. Nero isn't from the 29th century, he's from the 24th and to the crew of the Relativity it's nothing more than something for the History books.

Imagine it's 2650, for the first time ever you switch on the first ever temporal sensor, it shows you that Nero in 2390 went back in time to 2230 or whenever. What do you do? obviously you do nothing, because to do anything would mess up your own time line and you will be unaware of what the consequences might be.

7. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A.) There is not chance that this movie is intended to be in some kind of alternate time line.

B.) As to being 'fast enough' to fix an alteration in the time line, the only way you could do that is to stop the person from jumping back in time. The very second they make their jump back, any action they take back in the past, even if it takes years or decades for them to achieve their goal, has already occurred in you time frame. If you plan to chase them back in time and you make your jump even a fraction of a nano second after they do, you are too late.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Beg pardon? It's common knowledge by now that this is exactly what happens. Not only that, but it's an alternate timeline that *does not overwrite the original*.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That's how they're spinning it, to keep people from screaming bloody murder. But I still don't see what the real dramatic impact would be if it is an alternate timeline.

Why do I care if this guy creates a seperate timeline if there's no danger to the original one?

10. Son_of_Soong

Son_of_Soong Captain Captain

Maybe each time agency has control over certain types of events depending on what's changed. Or each have jusistiction over certain times. My guess would be that if someone screws with the timeline then the time agency closest to it in the future is the one who responds, if they fail then the next one ahead has all the time in the world to eventually step in and take control, etc etc slowly going further and further into the future until eventually one of them does something.

EDIT: Similar to law enforcement today maybe. Local sheriff is in charge but if he doesnt handle it right or quickly enough the local police take over, if he fails then the FBI step in and take control,etc, and up the ladder it goes except this ladder is a temporal one, the future into the future obviously the more knowledge and control you have.

11. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Temporal jurisdictional hierarchy? Oog.

12. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I have stayed too far away from spoilers I guess, other than watching the previews.

I have to say, setting this in an alternate time line is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, and I have been a defender this movie against criticisms with a wait and see it first attitude.

13. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Somehow, someway, I have the deep, dark, feeling that by the time this Trilogy is done, Orci and Kurtzman are going to revisit our old friend.....The Temporal Cold War.

And they'll wish they hadn't.

14. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

WOO-HOO!:techman:The NX-O1, and Capt.Archer, Finally on the ''BIG'' screen!:cool:(I'd much prefer a ''Phase II'' ENT series, but I'll take what I can get!)

15. The Academic

The Academic Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps that's the real tragedy. Perhaps Spock couldn't save the original timeline since he ended up in/created a new, alternate timeline. We might never find out (other than in TrekLit, for what it's worth) what happened to the original timeline after Spock left.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  16. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, Relativity sure is kind of a weird name for a ship in Star Trek.

I mean, what are her sister-ships' names, the U.S.S. Geocentric Cosmological Model? The U.S.S. Ghosts Cause Cholera?

17. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

did they ever mention if this was a federation only operation or is time travel in the future a piece of tech that other factions/races/organizations are able to use and have at their arsenal?

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

...a small Vulcan time-ship (presumably Spock's, seen in the November and March trailers) and the Narada (Nero's ship, originally a mining vessel of some sort and not originally intended for time travel) and I think that's all we've been told about, officially speaking.

19. roguephoenix

roguephoenix Captain Captain

i meant the relativity. it seems like a federation ship but not sure if it's one of those things that may be built by federation but under the scrutiny of various other factions like how the stargate may be based in the united states but there is an international committee overseeing it's general operation and use.

20. TheMadCloner

TheMadCloner Captain Captain

I've always assumed the Relativity and other "timeships" had some sort of temporal shielding (insert Treknobabble here) that protected them from changes in the timeline in "their" universe. So yes, I would assume they would literally have all the time in the universe to fix things that happened in the past.