(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. lau03143

lau03143 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

My two teams won today.

Rangers beat Motherwell 2-1.

Bayern Munich beat Nurenberg 1-0, keeping them in the hunt for the Bundesliga title.

Mia San Mia

2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well whilst I'm amused to see the house of King Kenny come tumbling down, I hope Perch gets some kind of fine for that play acting that got the goalie sent off, he clearly makes zero contact.

Still what can you expect from a former Forest player:p

3. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Sorry I can't hear you over the bullshit :p;)

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

5. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Are Derby looking to be rid of Chris Maguire or is he just on loan with Pompey for experience/development? What a goal. If you don't want him, I think I would definitely take him down here.

Also if Derby could give their annual capitulation at our place this month and help with our goal difference, that would be great ;) I thought it might be better to miss out on the play-offs this season but what the hell, got to have a chance in the lottery. If we're going to fail for the fourth season in a row, just as well do it properly!

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Lord knows...the prevailing wisdom appears to be that he hasn't been doing it in training, Nige seems to only have time for players who give 100%, or else Maguire critisised Clough/the coaching staff. Some players just don't fit in certain set ups. To be honest I'd rather have Robinson and Steve Davis (god if that guy could just stay fit for a season!)

I think Clough said it best yesterday, if there were 10 games left the playoffs might be a possibility, but barring some other teams massively falling off I don't think its likely this year.

7. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

7 points clear with 12 poins on the table though our next 2 games are Blackpool & Reading so its not over just yet. Hull City n Pompey being the last two games should see us get there should we need another win to make sure of it. Just checked foxtures of Coventry and we might need one more win since they play...

* Burnley
    * Millwall
    * Doncaster
    * Southampton

Millwall & Donny are winnable games for them and Burnley can go either way maybe a point at least. Southmapton may be promoted by then so Coventry could even give them a run for their money. Bristol City who are 3 points behind us have much tougher fixtures so they may go down instead of Coventry despite beating them last night.

8. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doncaster and Pompey are gone. Beyond that it's between Forest, Bristol C and Coventry - all three of whom have come into a bit of form of late.

Personally, I think it's Coventry who're going to take that final spot in the drop zone.

Maguire - probably depends on what happens with a few of the other players we've got around the squad. I'd be inclined to give him another chance.

9. HappyDayRiot

I think it's going to be Coventry as well - they look like their luck will run out before the finish line, and losing to Bristol hasn't helped them in the slightest.

Please, please....if we don't make the play-offs, please don't let it be Leicester who take our place. Boro or Brighton fine, but not them. Two wins and a draw from Barnsley, Derby, Leeds and Palace should be enough. And whilst we're not winning much, we're not losing either. We could yet have a chance. I would happily fancy us in a one-off with any of Brum, Blackpool or West Ham (though Blackpool would be truly horrible to go through again).

I truly hate this part of the season :D

10. Angel4576

I think you'll make the playoffs, and after that it's anyone's.

West Ham will finish 3rd, and you may well finish 6. Over 2 legs I'd probably fancy West Ham to go through, but you can't underestimate the crushing disappointment of so narrowly missing out on the automatics.

Reading and Southampton will be the two automatics, and then I'm not overly bothered about who goes up in the playoffs - providing it's not Leicester. I wouldn't mind Cardiff or Blackpool going up.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'd like Brighton to go up, but mainly because my best mate's a Brighton fan and I like what Poyet's done there, and it'd be a great story for a team who not so many years ago only avoided dropping out of the league on the last game of the season and who spent years playing in a small athletics stadium.

Of course one of my other friends is a Hammers fan... ;)

What I would dearly love is to finish above Leicester, that's my only requirement now! :lol:

12. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Why do you all hate Leicester?

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Play off final 1994...

Also

1# The money being thrown about, sorry but it's true. Trying to buy their way to the Prem and it isn't working.
    2# They're a local rival
    3# They think they're a bigger local rival than they are. They imagine they're part of a triumverate with Derby and Forest, but Derby/Forest fans don't see it the same way, a victory against Forest will always be sweeter, same as a loss against Forest will always be more depressing. I suspect Jax will say the same from a Forest perspective.

14. HappyDayRiot

^At least your local rivals aren't the current media darlings of the Premier League ;) And they're in the same league for you to play against. We have Bristol City, which is a million miles away from a proper derby and grudge with Swansea.

I'm sick of the sight of Leicester - we've played them about 10 times in 3 seasons since they last got promoted. And our record at their ground is abysmal. That's their stupidly renamed stadium, too.

It also annoys me that their manager left them to go to Hull, and then went back for the money that poured into the club just after he left. Really shitty to ditch Hull in my opinion.

Also, Jermaine Beckford, who did much the same thing.

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Yep, Forest fans don't care about Leicester :p they aren't rivals.

Derby is the big showdown we all like to see twice a season.

16. Angel4576

Leicester - piss-ant, tosspot club.

As far as local rivalry goes they don't register anywhere on our radar;

Forest
    Leeds
    Stoke

Even with countless millions behind them, they still can't anywhere near going up. :lol:

17. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

^^
    Yeah, that's why I was surprised at the sort of unanimous disgust for them here. It's just some shit never-really-successful nouveau-riche club. Wouldn't you rather see them go up than the rival you really hate? That's how I would feel about it anyway in this situation. ;)

18. Angel4576

It's the contrived faux-rivalries that they're trying to ingratiate on us and Forest - you mean nothing to us, fook off! :lol:

I have respect for Forest, and even for Leeds. For Leicester, nothing. They're a joke of a football club and the very model of how not to run a business. They've already abused administration once to shirk a load of debt and they'll undoubtedly do it again once their current owners lose patience and pull out.

On principle, even though they mean nothing to me, I begrudge them any success. :)

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

To quote Dr Evil, Forest are the snake to our mongoose, the world would be a less interesting place without them. Leicester, meh...

Of course the irony is that my girlfriend is from Leicester and I now work in Leicester, but then again I live in Nottinham so go figure!

I got the feeling Pearson left Leicester because he couldn't get on with Mandric and basically jumped before he was pushed.

Any team that renames their stadium the King Power stadium deserves derision.

Knowing my luck Pride Park will now be renamed the Pampers Stadium :)

20. Angel4576

Pride Park's still bad enough. Never got on with that name.

Should just have been the new BBG.