DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'M still reading Demon Knights.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thus proving that magical curses are real.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I was being too flippant. I know I'm not alone mourning the end of the title: I thought Vendetti had some interesting ideas going forward.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Out of the zero year tie-ins that I'm not currently reading right now, I will probably check out the "Batgirl" one (this Margueritte Bennett seems to be making a name for herself right now), Catwoman, Nightwing, and maybe Green Arrow.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that she already kinda confirmed it. Wasn't that why she was banished?

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Refresh my memory. What is it that they do after mating?

7. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What is the last issue of Demon Knights?
    I dropped it at issue #18

8. Admiral_Young

Demon Knights final issue comes out today.

9. Savage Dragon

Just read Batman #23. It was pretty good but felt a little weaker than the previous Zero Year issues. I did like the scene where Alfred was stitching up Bruce though.

10. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I thought the backup was the best part of the book.

11. Savage Dragon

I'm starting to see ads for Forever Evil and I must admit I am a bit intrigued.

12. Admiral_Young

Forever Evil is promising to be more interesting than Trinity War is. I'm looking forward to it.

13. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

That they kill or maim the men involved. It caused an Internet firestorm - "not MY Amazons!!!" level of anger.

Hound Of UIster, do you mean she left the island, told people the secret, and then came back and was exiled for having done so? I don't recall that. There was some online speculation that she was the Amazon seen reaching for her baby son in the panel accompanying Hephesteaus' story in Wonder Woman 7, or someone who was in the same situtation, but I don't remember that ever being confirmed. She just says something about not being able to follow Amazon "drills and codes of conduct" in the issue I'm talking about, when Hippolyta offers to rescind the exile.

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm way behind on Smallville, but I picked up the latest issue and flipped through it. I can't wait to see Smallville's version of Wonder Woman in action. I didn't like the art though. Looks like the characters have taken on a new look and that kind of takes me out of thinking this is an extension of Smallville.

15. Admiral_Young

We do have a Smallville Season 11 discussion thread :) The art was inconsistent at the start of the book, but has improved considerably since the first couple of "episodes". It is really Q's writing that is key to the book and that links it to the series proper.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I skim through it every now and then but I'm too far behind and I don't read the digital releases. Maybe I'll jump in someday though. Plus, it doesn't hurt to promote it for those who don't read it. ;)

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I just went back through my copies of the return of the original Legion stories. Right from the JSA/JLA Lightening story to Superman vs. Earth Man, the Adventure Comics backups, and the rebooted series, up until the new 52 this was excellent. It was like having the old Legion back (well it was having the old Legion back).

Why did DC have to cancel the comic? A year ago they should have introduced a new creative team and maybe they would have saved it. Really, I am a Legion fan from the seventies and eighties, and I miss the DC Universe without them in it.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought LoSH was good under Johns. Adventure Comics too. Not so much once Levitz came back.

19. Admiral_Young

This is the disappointing nature of Levitz. Johns set things up for him very nicely, restored the "old" Legion team and then the frustration with fans began. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for the sales drop. I've no doubt it will return in some form under a new creative team, but Rao was Levitz's writing and plotting frustrating at times. I got so frustrated by it I had to drop the book.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Never had a problem with it, myself.