Dominion Verse Borg?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Crazyewok, May 30, 2013.

1. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Such tactical half-measures are easily adapted to by the borg (by anyone with shield/ forcfield and sensor technology, actually).
    The same goes for ship kamikaze attacks.

2. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Jem Hadar would make great drones--not much on individuality to begin with. The Founders would be attacked directly.

I can see them joining with Species 8472/Undine to cause havok.
    I'd like to see the conflict myself--that and the ori vs the Wraith for that matter on Stargate.

3. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except the Jem'Hadar's bodies would die within days without ketracel-white, so unless the Borg are willing and able to produce ketracel-white the Jem'Hadar would likely die and would possibly go insane before dying, causing a lot of problems.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

If you go by Voyager, nanoprobes assimilate by grasping onto blood cells and injecting stuff into them, and they control minds by directly interfacing with a humanoid nervous system. I find it highly unlikely it would work on a changeling. Or even if they could find a Founder in human form and assimilate his cells, they couldn't control his mind because their fake brain is not what does the thinking for them.

The Borg could probably annihilate the Gem'Hadar fleet but I bet the Founders would get away.

That's not true. The Founders took it upon themselves to 'Bring order to the solids'. If they didn't care about maintaining an Empire they wouldn't have bothered to invade the AQ.

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I find it unlikely it would work on a human. The super-fast zombie-like borgification was added for First Contact, and although it adds to the movie-length danger, I find it annoying. Of course, the the-only-thing-we-can-do-is-assimilate also comes from FC and VOY, so...

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    Borg win this one. They're more technologically advanced, and the Dominion doesn't have the Borg's rapid adaptability feature.

7. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I agree.

Maybe not assimilate since the Great Link is not solid. But I think they would indeed destroy it regardless.

:borg::borg::borg::borg:

8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

If a Jem'Hadar was assimilated, I think it wouldn't need ketracel-white, the Borg would just turn off that part of it's brain.

I don't think the founders can be assimilated, can't they turn to fire? Also, though the Borg can adapt to energy weapons, it might not be so simple to adapt to a kamikaze attack. They never adapted to Worf's blades.

The ability to pop out ships quickly would overwhelm the borg and the kamikaze attack would be the Dominions strength. The Jem'Hadar and the Vorta would kill themselves as soon as anyone of them gets assimilated, then the'll be re-cloned to kamikaze again. In the end, I think a lot of resources would be wasted on both sides in a long drawn out battle.

The Winner: Everyone else. :)

9. Belz...

No, I think it would be a last-ditched effort. Once you're sacrificing ships and crews, you've already lost.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The Dominion are all about that. Not to mention sacrificing a ship is one thing, but sacrificing ships to destroy ships is another thing, especially if it's the only thing working against the Borgs adaptability.

11. Belz...

The Dominion is not "all about that". If they could have destroyed the Odyssey without the suicide run, they would have done so.

The point is that sacrificing crews and ships is not a viable strategy, economically or otherwise.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

When I said "the Dominion are all about that", I meant sacrificing themselves to destroy a ship, not kamikazing for the hell of it. Against the Borg, I don't see a choice for the dominion after the Borg adapt.

13. Belz...

I know what you meant, and I disagree. They only did it when there was no other option.

I agree with the last part of your post, though, which is exactly what I said earlier: desperation, ergo defeat.

14. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

That is the one interesting thing about the Dominion that made them different from other villains is that they dont hesitate to sacrifice ships either to send a message or to defeat an enemy.

But the Borg do it too. They sacrificed an entire cube to protect Voyager--because it had something they wanted.

They sacrifice drones all the time.

They pretty much have the same attitude towards their drones as the Founders do about the Jem Hadar--and anybody else that's not a changeling.

15. Belz...

And the borg have a few trillion drones to spare.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

What about the Dominion Planetary Assault Ship (DPAS)? The Defiant was build to defend against the Borg and took everything the Borg threw at it in First Contact (though it was left adrift), but against the DPAS it was blown to pieces. We've seen what 8472's large amounts of energies have done to the Borg.

Dominion Planetary Assault Ship - 4500 meters long (approximate)
    Borg Assimilation Cube - 3040 meters (approximate)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Never mind, after seeing a comparison of space controlled between the Dominion and the Borg, the Borg are much more vast. If the dominion converted all of it's resources into ships, it still won't be enough.