TRON: Legacy - Review and Grading

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Neroon, Dec 16, 2010.

?

Your rating on "TRON: Legacy" ?

1. Excellent! It should be permanently installed!

63 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Good - could use an upgrade or two but overall stable and inventive

89 vote(s)
    45.6%
  3. Average - Hold its oen with Tron 1982.

29 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Poor - nice to look at but I then it abends all over the place

12 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be immediately de-resed!!!

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Best imdb thread title ever:

Flynn was totally banging Quorra, right?

The Dude abides?:rommie:

2. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was going to post a long drawn out review, but all I'll say is this: what he said.

Excellent movie, no boring parts, aciton was sprinkled with great target, story had a very touching and emotional view. All in all, absolutely GREAT movie. My favorite this year.

3. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Heheh. Glad I could do your work for you. ;)

I agree about the story have a touching and emotional view. I think Jeff Bridges really sold that.

4. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it. Nice amount of homages to the original (were those things on Flynn's mantle a 'yes' and 'no' Bit?) and it didn't drag at all. Good backstory too with the flashbacks. Obviously they're setting it up for a sequel.

5. I thought this was a great movie. I've never seen the original Tron, but I know enough about it to get a lot of the references.

The Grid world was fascinating. Lots of interesting stuff, details, a lot of personality in those colors. It felt pretty epic overall, had a Star Wars (A new hope) feel to it.

One of my fave movies of the year actually.

6. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I just got back from the movie, and it is very good.

I do have minor quibbles but overall a very fitting sequel to the original.
    Tron's fate at the end of the movie seemed rushed and didn't resonate with me.

I thought the look of the tron universe was updated well, but honestly wasn't as interesting as the look of the original.

Other than that, great movie. Good action and Olivia Wilde looked great. Bridges owned the film though, can't wait for True Grit!

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Found this on What's Playing about the possibility for Tron 3... which of course won't happen if this movie can't recoup it's $200 million budget, but anyway:

8. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Is she cute? If so, I entirely forgive you. :bolian:

Fair enough. I agree about the ending, actually. Sam was the worst offender with his hootin' and hollarin' as if it really were a video game, instead of a life-and-death moment. It was still pretty to look at, though. ;)

9. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Much to Sam's chagrin, she is banging a man who claims to be Jules Verne.

10. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I was worried that they were going to make Quorra into one of those generic "Ice Queen" warrior women types. Nice surprise to see her as a genuinely nice, sweet-but-tough warrior type.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Poor.

The only thing that made it worth sitting through was the brilliant decision to feature Olivia Wilde and Beau Garrett in skintight clothing.

Otherwise the primitive original was way better.

12. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night. Love it. Agree with 99% of the positive posts here, so I won't rehash it.

I will say that I saw it in 2D on a very large screen at my local theater, as the 3D showing was sold out, and even in 2D it was spectacular. From what I've read, I didn't miss anything by missing the 3D showing.

Also, I absolutely LOVE the soundtrack. I'm a fan of electronic music anyway and Daft Punk in particular, and they did a wonderful job of blending a traditional score with their minimalist electronic style. I downloaded the soundtrack from iTunes as soon as I got home.

13. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Can you believe that in Toronto in 2010, we don't have any arcades?:wtf::eek: It's true. Wish that I could have been there as well. But I have the option of seeing it at the Scotiabank Theater tonight or tomorrow night (I saw it on Thursday night, but I had/have a touch of the flu with extreme drymouth and was/is feeling weak, and I had to go to the bathroom twice, missing some good parts!:eek:) in 3D, and will see it again.. Wish that I could go to a special showing in 3D at a local arcade with all of the pizza that you can eat and free drinks for only $30 bucks! But I know that would never happen in Toronto now.

Don't be jealous of Neroon: a lot of people, myself included, got to see it on Thursday night in a sneak preview. Enjoy the Christmas events/holiday that you're spending with friends, co-workers, and family; I won't be, because my family is almost gone (my sister has her own life, my brother's in South America, my father's dead, my mother has Alzheimer's and is almost gone, I don't have any friends or family of my own for reasons that are too complex to get into now) and I have nobody to spend Christmas with at all. So even though you might not be seeing Tron Legacy as you'd like to, enjoy your holiday time with those that you hold near and dear to you, and don't be so dismissive of the holiday season (If you want, and you can, go see the movie on Christmas or Boxing Day-treat your friends and family to the movie by being sneaky about it, promising that you'll be seeing something else, but in fact you'll be taking them to see Tron Legacy instead!:rommie::devil:) Have a happy!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  14. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    Everyone in my party loved it.

15. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the music. I'd forgotten to mention that earlier.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Since I prefer my females to be genetically female, I'm gonna have to abstain on that one. ;)

He does not! :wtf:

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got back from seeing the film. Loved it, but the 3D wasn't quite as 3D as I thought (the effect was rather poor, and it made my head hurt). Apart from that, it was awesome. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

And about the 3D, by the way: This convinced me beyond doubt that I will never buy a 3D TV until they find a way to do it without those damn glasses.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always liked that in the original you could kind of see the story as a fanciful imagining of Flynn's hacking into the MCP. That was lost in this one, not that I think they were even trying to go for that, but I think it still hurts it a bit. I wonder if maybe they had tied the server becoming connected to the internet and the "cloud" as an explanation for the new aberrations if that would've worked.

Beyond that, the visuals felt more Matrix than Mead. Like when I saw those high heels on the grid girls (or whatever), and Merovingian's (or whatever) club, it just didn't seem "Tron" to me. The details and CG were really strong, I just didn't care for some of the art direction. I wonder if the light cycles and the like had not been in the previews if it would've been a stronger impression.

I accept that those are subjective and everyone's mileage may vary. However, I still don't think the final confrontations with Tron and Clu were very satisfying, Tron was rather baffling and some
    User ex Machina
    felt underwhelming. The world was a bit strange as it had the Tron minimalism mixed with real world complexity but became a bit muddled in the process.

I did like Jeff Bridge's channelling "The Dude" for Flynn. I don't remember if there were elements of that in the original character or not but I thought it worked here and even provided some needed laughs from the audience. Olivia Wilde was likable and slickly sexy as Quorra though her (dare I say Trinity-like) character felt more convenient than natural. The actor playing Sam did OK

I don't know, I really wanted to like this but I just couldn't connect with it. I'll allow that it might be my preconceptions, I will certainly give it another chance on video and see if I have a better reaction but I found the first viewing rather tepid.

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

No, no he does not.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, Olivia Wilde is a pretty good actress. Of course, it may only look like that since she was mostly acting opposite Garrett Hedlund. :lol: