STAR WARS: LEGACY to end with issue #50

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by C.E. Evans, Apr 13, 2010.

1. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Kinda knew the end was near:
    Ends in July.

Legacy may be coming to an end, but I sorta doubt this is the end of this era...

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Aw, that stinks. I hope they do more with that era, I've come to really enjoy it.

3. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

Hopefully they'll do an Empire/Rebellion or Republic/Dark Times kind of thing with it.

4. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How did you know? Even one of the creators is expressing surprise about this on Facebook.

EDIT: I've looked more closely, and it seems like it may indeed just be a rebranding of sorts. I'm thinking a new title, with perhaps a time jump and refocusing away from Cade.

No matter what, this whole thing is being very poorly handled and is just causing bad feelings toward Dark Horse and Lucasfilm.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  5. C.E. Evans

Very few Dark Horse titles last more than 50 issues--especially if it isn't a manga. It was just a question of was it going to end at 50, 60, or 75...I was leaning more towards 50 after they recently concluded Knights of the Old Republic at that point. I just didn't see Legacy lasting much longer than that.
    I'm thinking more like "Star Wars: Legacy of the Sith" myself. I think we may see a different Cade this time out, maybe even one that has finally exorcised his demons and decided to return to the Jedi Order (presuming he survives issue #50).
    :confused:

6. Fist McStrongpunch

There's been no real announcement, like there was for the end of KotOR. Just this monthly solicitation for the comic stores. And what's been the response from DH and LFL? Nothing. Not a single word. Writer Jon Ostrander has said only one thing, and it's vague but maybe potentially reassuring, while artist Jan Duursema's two comments have seemingly confirmed our worst fears. And the fact that there has been nothing from DH or LFL leads me to believe that, a)the series was cancelled at the eleventh hour, and thus we won't see the proper closure the series deserves, or b)they just utterly failed to get an announcement together, which smacks of incompetence.

Check out the DH Board and Jedi Council Forum. People are upset, and no one will tell them anything.

I know I'm pissed. Legacy was the last good thing going on in the EU (well, the upcoming comic Knight Errant looks promising too, but that's not out yet).

7. C.E. Evans

I think they want fanboys/fangirls to get upset and raise a big stink. The bigger, the better. Create more publicity, probably. The best way to do that is to drop a bombshell and say nothing, I guess.

I really don't think this is the end of the Legacy era, but just this opening chapter. The vibe I get is that Dark Horse was eventually going to rebrand/retitle the series after it reached a certain point anyway, and they simply decided to do it now (today is when they had to release the solicitations for their July releases). They may have done it full well knowing the furor it would cause.

Someone at Dark Horse may be laughing at us right now...

8. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

The stupid thing is that Legacy is Dark Horse's second best selling series. I think they're rebranding to get people who would be more likely to jump on at issue 1 rather than 51.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I had a bad feeling that Legacy was going to end with #50. Thing have been building up to a head for some time now, especially after the developments with Cade in the most recent issue. I really hope the they continue on with this era with a new #1.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I've never gotten into the comics. Knowing this is a 50 issue story and not a forever ongoing encourages me to someday get it all in trades.

11. Fist McStrongpunch

You really should get into the comics. That's where all the good stuff happens.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a shame that Legacy is ending so soon, it seems like there is so much left to explore. I think the creative team did a bang up job creating Legacy, but to be honest, I wondered how long they could keep up that level of quality. Not to mention how long would Cade's story be. I actually wanted to see other aspects of the universe they had created.

I don't know if there are enough issues left-what is it five?-to wrap up all the story lines and give them proper justice.

13. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I've only been following this series through the trade paperbacks, and agree, it's been good, but I'm curious, are the trades a complete chronological reprinting of the series? I've read four volumes so far and every once in a while it seems like I'm missing something.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've only read the first two trades of Legacy, but based on them and the stuff I've read on wookiepedia they jump around in the numbering. I believe they're doing that in order to keep the arcs together, and help the story flow better in bigger chunks.

15. Fist McStrongpunch

Yes they do switch a few things around, but nothing that should affect your enjoyment of the series.

The only issues that are not included in the Legacy tpbs are #28-31, which are instead included in the second Vector tpb along with the two Vector issues of Rebellion.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Not likely. The sales for the Empire/Rebellion and Dark Times are pretty bad. I think a general lack of interest comes from the fact that there isn't anything new under the sun you can do with these two eras.

The star wars comic favorites are I think 1) the knights of the old republic type material 2) post-luke era stuff like Legacy of the Force 3) and also the original clone wars republic material that dovetailed into RotS.

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe that I'm up to the sixth trade? This is interesting news...I enjoy Star Wars Legacy and I agree with C.W. Evans that it's probably not the end of the universe.

18. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I have to say about this is THANK GOD. I have always felt that a comic series is better to read when it has an endpoint. When it goes forever and ever, it runs the risk of its quality being ruined by overstreching itself.

19. Cmndr J Crichton

Cmndr J Crichton Commodore Commodore

I think it would be cool to do a series that's between IV and V. Not much is known about that era. Beyond the few novels, and marvel comics, (Which never followed a continuity) we don't know what it took to find Hoth. What happened to Luke, Han & Leia (Officially) diuing that time?

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^The newspaper strips, written by the late, great, Archie Goodwin, did stories on the discovery of Hoth and the evacuation of Yavin. Dark Horse reprinted and colored these great stories some years ago.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010