Why were the bolians never developed?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JirinPanthosa, Nov 22, 2012.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

They're well established as one of the founding races of the Federation. They're blue, there's several minor characters of the bolian race. Having sex with them carries health risks. Yet we know nothing real about them. Why were they never used? I only saw the first two seasons of Enterprise, but that would have been the perfect time to develop them, and I assume they weren't suddenly developed in seasons three and four.

2. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

well they weren't one of the founding species, the andorians were. and i guess introducing another blue species would've been too much blue. plus andorians are far cooler.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The farting.

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally one of my favorite extras was that paranoid Bolian in the Adversary.

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

If you think about it, they were "semi-developed." We saw several over time, in different jobs. They helped us see somethings about the Federation, they have (maybe) same sex marriages, a economic system that involves banks, starfleet vessels have civilian workers/contractors on board (barbers).

In addition to being blue, we saw a grey as well, I liked they weren't depicted as a single skin color.

:)

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Regarding what was established, we never really learned that the grey individual from "Conspiracy" would have been a Bolian. Or that the Bolians would be UFP members of any sort, least of all founders. To the contrary, the first-ever appearance and mention of a Bolian (albeit a fake one) in "Allegiance" indicated that Bolians pursued an independent foreign policy, wrt the Moropa.

Granted, Andorians and Tellarites were also "maintaining an uneasy truce" with each other once, sort of - but that was semi-friendly banter between UFP members. The Moropa did not appear to be UFP members any more than the Bolians did.

Timo Saloniemi

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the intent. The name Bolian is derived from Cliff Bole, director of the episode which introduced the species. Bole directed Conspiracy, not Allegiance.

Although it is true that a deleted scene from a TNG episode indicated Bolians were not membes of the Federation, later episodes seem to imply they are. DS9 even featured a Federation ambassador who was a Bolian.

8. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

And the intent was to have Data be the handiwork of ancient aliens, Klingons to be UFP members, and Leslie Crusher to be a pretty little girl. The intent was dropped at various relative points: Leslie became Wesley for the very first episode, Data became Soong's son by middle first season, having remained indeterminate until then, and Klingons actually were canonically referred to as members once before the intent was nullified.

The intent to have Captain Rixx be Bolian just represents another point on that continuous scale: he was never established as one, and all the evidence conspires against him being one, as he doesn't look the like one!

Perhaps Rixx would be half Bolian or something, losing his blueness and transverse color patterns on the skull that way - and Mitena Haro would gain her hair and eyebrows the same way?

TNG featured a Federation emissary who was a Klingon...

Timo Saloniemi

9. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

His makeup is pretty close, though, even if it's not perfect by the makeup standards used for later Bolians. Rixx was originally conceived as being Andorian, but Rick Berman (IIRC) wanted a new alien instead because he thought the Andorian makeup was too goofy looking.

10. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that Rixx's makeup was actually blue, but the lighting they used on the set made it appear that off-greyish indeterminate color.
    Perhaps someone could confirm or refute this.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Actually, even though he may have appeared more grey onscreen, Captain Rixx was very definitely blue. Then-staffer Tracy Tormé once revealed at a New Zealand convention that his original proposal for "Conspiracy" included an Andorian, and it would have been their first TNG appearance. Rick Berman told Tormé: "We don't do antennae on this show."

So the makeup artists went ahead and did a blue alien anyway, simply leaving off the "hokey" antennae. And the Bolians were born.

In fact, if I recall correctly, Dexter Remmick was originally suggested as Andorian in his first appearance, but that idea was quashed early. Remmick returned in this one, and they finally got a blue alien, Rixx, past Berman.

Ha. Didn't see your post. Yes, it was due to the weird lighting on the planetoid, IIRC.

And the lighting on Lal's Andorian persona, in "The Offspring" (and Shran's daughter, Talla in ENT), gave them a greenish hue.

The "Enterprise" Andorians have an orange base coat of makeup, when allowed a more pure blue topcoat to show as reliably blue. Talla probably had no orange base because she was half Aenar.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  12. T'Girl

But we've seen examples that the Vulcans do the same thing, have a independent foreign policy, and have their own embassies with foreign powers.

Never spelled out, but there are indications that the Bolians are members at some level. As far as being "Founders" of the Federation, I've never seen that.

There no sign that the Moropa are Federation members. The Bolians could have had a conflict, even a war, with the Moropa and made the decision not to bring in the Federation. Today, nations do fight wars, and not ask their alliances for help, even when they can.

13. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

We need aB olian admiral in the new Trek movie or something.These guys are like the twileks in SW or the wookies.

14. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I really like the Bolians and do think they need to be developed, though lots of interesting titbits have been thrown our way over the year that makes them sound like a very cool species.

Whenever we get a new series, I'd love to see one included either as a main character or recurring one, so we can learn more about them. Or how's about one character each of the three big blue species: an Andorian Security Chief, a Bolian Doctor, and a Benzite Conn Officer :bolian:

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

He looks like a Bolian to me. Apart from the obvious ridge running along the middle of his head, his coloring is almost a perfect match for Mitena Haro, a confirmed Bolian.

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

And one of the crewmembers murdered by the cardassians on Empak Nor, and one of the Maquis in Learning Curve, and the barber on the Enterprise. Lots of bolian extras have always been wandering around.

And you're right, the Bolians were never firmly established as one of the founding races but heavily implied. Like when Kai Winn said "Would you sacrifice Vulcan? Or Bolias? Or Earth?" Or other cases in DS9 when Bolias is referred to as being very close to Earth. Closer than Betazed, farther than Vulcan. If Bolias was not one of the founding planets of the Federation, it is very close to Earth and considered one of its core races.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Unless I'm remembering the wrong episode, she actually said Berengaria, not Bolarus.

18. T'Girl

Kai Winn said:

"Can you promise me that you will not let one Jem'Hadar soldier set foot on Bajor? Can you promise me that you will use your entire fleet to protect our planet, even if it means sacrificing other worlds, like Vulcan, or Andor, or Berengaria, or perhaps even Earth itself?"

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Berengaria of course was established in TOS an an Earth colony. Enterprise further established it as the site of Starbase 1. There's also dragons living there.