HBO: "The Leftovers"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Borjis, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

That was easily the best episode so far.

I wonder if there's a specific reason for not actually showing a departure. Would it just look too cheesy?

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently the person just disappears out of thin air. They are also making some dramatic choices by just focusing on reactions and not the actually act itself.

I wonder if Lori ever told Kevin she was pregnant?

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The sheriff's scene didn't quite match the one we saw early on in the series. That one appeared to have happened at night, mid-coitus, with him running around in a panic in what looked to be a housing community, not a commercial district.

4. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was definitely the best episode of the show so far. Amy Brenneman really shined and Margaret Qualley was great playing a younger version of herself.

5. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I understand that is an artistic choice, but how is it possible that no one saw anyone disappear? And there are no video recording of any disappearance?!?

6. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure many people were seen disappearing, who said they didn't? Also there may be video footage, that just has not been added tot he show.

7. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

Good episode. Best one yet. Explained a little more about pre-disappearance lives

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Great episode that probably should have happened half a season ago so things didn't look so random and aimless, and the motivations of the characters would have been a little more apparent and less loathsome.

It's interesting that all of the people shown to have disappeared have either been unloved, unwanted, or inconvenient or a regret to the characters somehow at the time of The Departure. It explains the motivations of the Guilty Remnant for dropping everything except reminding people of the departed ones (though the smoking is still a mystery), and the public at large who they accuse of trying to forget about The Departure. It's people dealing with the realization and guilt of thinking they possibly "wished" their problems away at that moment and it came true.

Weird with all the cracking walls, cracked mug, "gas" explosions in the sewers, and so forth. Previously the only effect of The Departure was on animal life, but it seems to cause some geological and structural damage as well, though it will likely never be explained. It's also interesting that so many people seem to have premonitions or foreboding that something was coming, or that something wasn't right, and not just the deer and dogs.

I figured there was going to be some kind of doctor/patient relationship between Pam and Lori given the hint by Pam in last week's also excellent "Cairo" that they had had many intimate conversations about personal life, but I had expected their roles to be reversed. Interesting to see Pam so frazzled and directionless, whereas she always seemed to have a singular goal and intellect post-Oct. 14th. The Departure really gave her her calling in life. Glad to see the actress still hanging around in flashbacks since her chilling performance last week was amazing, but I was going to miss her contribution to the cast.

I'm glad I decided to stick with the show till the end of the first season despite my frustration early on, because these last few episodes have been great. Hopefully they keep up the good work.

9. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could you kindly indicate a scene where a character sees someone disappear?

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

For starters, there's the one where they were forming a circuit. Even if they weren't looking directly at the one who disappeared, they would have seen it out of their peripheral vision.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

HA!

Maybe you could only be taken if no one was looking at you?

And everyone that stayed, only stayed because some one was looking at them.

Fucked in the ass by Heisenberg.

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I just watched this weeks episode. While very good, just like the last several, I still think the one that focused on Nora Durst, The Guest is the best episode so far.

However I will say this, I started to cry at the end of this episode and I mean big time. I knew what was coming but what I wasn't ready for what that the last thing Nora does is yell at her daughter before she goes. As a father to three young kids, this thought goes through my mind often. I don't ever want the last thing my child would hear is something negative from me. I tell my children all the time I love them because of this.

13. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

And there were two people holding that persons hand then they vanished they would have noticed. Kevin screwing that woman when she vanished etc.. For dramatic reasons the producers would rather not show the audience them actually disappearing. There were 128 million people that disappeared we have only been shown a handful of them.

14. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too, it turned out to be pretty good.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

A reverse Blink. As the new Doctor would say--you can't even see me.

Here is a premise for your Rapture 2.0

We spend so much time with our devices, our neighbors cease to exist.

Maybe it isn't just gods who die with our worship or honor.

16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

The finale aired. So that't that. Extremely anticlimactic, but still worth watching. It went by very quickly. I was genuinely creeped out by the actions of hate GR today.

17. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Watched the pilot and then a little of the 2nd episode and I AM OUT. I had all the episodes saved and quickly flicked through it and am glad because it looks like literally nothing happens. Also the trailers were mis leading for me as the show literally doesn't focus on solving the rapture like mystery at all.

HBO I expect a lot more from you.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

In every special I have seen of the show, every interview and every behind the scenes looks I have seen of the show all talk about how they will never eve explain why people disappeared. Frankly in real life we would never find out either.

19. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Did anyone else watch and get utterly confused by the premiere episode of the second season? This show is too weird. And they changed the opening theme, which is unfortunate because the old one was so much better and fitting.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it, wow what a crazy episode. Everyone now conveniently moves to a town in Texas where there were presumably no departures . I like the old theme (and fonts) better also.

Pregnant cavewoman opening - WTF!
    Firefighter burning down the guys house - WTF!
    Old guy living on a pedestal - WTF!
    Naked teen girls running through the woods - WTF!
    Guy sacrificing the goat in the dinner - WTF!
    6 of the first seasons cast (and 2 more to come with the ex wife and Liv Tylers character who are on the credits) just moving to a town that is supposaply very hard to buy a house in. - WTF!
    Teen girls disappearing - WTF!