Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (Cruise, Renner, Pegg, Rhames)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Directed by Christopher McQuarrie

Starring Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, Rebecca Ferguson, Sean Harris and Alec Baldwin.

Not much is known about the actual plot other than they face off against The Syndicate, a nemesis from the original TV series.

Full trailer:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOW_azQbOjw[/yt]

TV commercial:

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNPZGc0WmfM[/yt]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- ROGUE NATION trailer

A trailer's been released for the fifth Mission: Impossible film, which we now know will be subtitled Rogue Nation. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/tNPZGc0WmfM

The premise sounds promising. I've always wanted to see the IMF go up against an evil version of themselves. That's something the original series only did once or twice, particularly in "My Friend, My Enemy" in season 5. Admittedly, the second M:I movie was basically along those lines, with the villain being a rogue IMF agent, but in that one, the bad guys did more M:I-worthy stuff than the heroes did, so it didn't really have the mirror-image quality I had in mind.

I also like it that the villainous organization is called "the Syndicate." Not only is that a nod to the name used for the mob in the original series, but it's a direct continuation from the closing lines of Ghost Protocol.

It's also picking up on GP by reuniting 3/4 of the team -- Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, and Simon Pegg, plus Ving Rhames again, though it's unclear whether he'll have more than a cameo like last time. That's the most cast continuity we've ever had between films, at least where the core team is concerned. The new female lead is Rebecca Ferguson, who's new to me.

Disappointingly, though, Michael Giacchino won't be returning to do a third consecutive score, even though J.J. Abrams is still producing. The new composer is Joe Kraemer, who worked with director Christopher McQuarrie on his previous two films. I guess the composer is the director's choice, and Abrams and Brad Bird had both worked with Giacchino before, but McQuarrie hasn't.

3. Christopher

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good... but please no traitors...

5. Aragorn

Looks like this board doesn't do the YouTube shortcuts. I used the full URL.

6. Christopher

I don't think I used a shortcut. I hit the "Share" and "Embed" links on the YouTube page, copied the rather long string of text that was highlighted, and pasted it in the post. It was a statement in angled brackets with "iframe" at the start and end. It's different from the URL you used.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Just copy the URL of the video and put it in [ yt] and [ /yt] tags.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re: MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE -- ROGUE NATION trailer

It looks brilliant but all of the MI movies have had brilliant trailers.

This is the one movie series which, IMHO, has gotten better as it's gone along, with each sequel improving on its predecessor. I really do think that they'll have a job in improving on Ghost Protocol but if it's as good as the third movie, it'll still be brilliant. I'm also liking the continuity with the last one - I hope that Michelle Monaghan also reprises her role as Mrs Hunt.

9. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I really dug the trailer so I'm excited for this one.

As Captaindemotion said, this series just keeps on getting progressively better and better with each subsequent installment. I guess I'm one of those that actually really liked Jack Reacher, so I think Christopher McQuarrie was a great pick for director. I also love the continuity in terms of cast. Especially since Simon Pegg and Jeremy Renner were two of my favorite parts of Ghost Protocol, so I'm particularly excited that they are back for Rogue Nation.

Judging from the end of that trailer (apparently we're getting an expanded trailer tomorrow, or erm, later today), McQuarrie and the rest of his filmmaking team are looking to up the ante in terms of scale and action. Ghost Protocol was particularly thrilling in IMAX, so I'm excited to see how McQuarrie tries to top its predecessor in terms of scope and scale. In interviews, McQuarrie seems keen on mimicking the first film in terms of style & tone, some of which was present in this trailer for Rogue Nation. So it'll be interesting to see what McQuarrie does. One of the highlights of this series, at least for me, is that each film feels independent of one another. I love how they hire a new director with each new film to add his own spin on the series. So it'll be interesting to see what McQuarrie adds to the Mission: Impossible series.

I'm sad that Michael Giacchino isn't returning - as I thought his scores for the last two films were brilliant - but I'm friends with composer Joe Kramer on Facebook. Judging from his Facebook posts, he's very excited to be composing the score and seems to be a fan of the series in general, so I think he's going to do the M:I franchise justice at least from a musical perspective.

10. Christopher

Oh... God, that's terrible to hear. The first film was the second-worst in the franchise. It had its moments, but it had an incoherent and illogical story and its characters were shallow and unsympathetic. Ethan Hunt didn't emerge as a remotely human character until the third film, which was also the first one with a reasonably coherent story. I think of the first two films as failed pilots for a series that didn't really get started until Bad Robot took it over.

Whereas I was happy that the past two films have finally felt like a continuous whole, thanks to Abrams staying on as producer. I'm hoping that'll be the case here as well.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i don't think she will be in this one.

12. Aragorn

The full trailer has been added to the OP.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I wasn't even aware this had already been filmed until I saw the TV spot during The Walking Dead, so this was a pleasant surprise. It looks like a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to it.

14. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw the Filming Team here when they were filiming in Dubai for "Ghost Protocol". An Emirati friend got me "in", as much as the crew would allow. Fascinating stuff, and when I watched the movie, it was fun to pick out what I recognized, and also what they took license with in the interest of filming and story. They filmed oooodles more here in Dubai than they showed in the movie, but I guess you cant have a 9 hour movie (except, I KNOW there is the original original 9 hour vesion of Dune running around out there somewhere!!!)

Oh, and there was a moment after the Burj Khalifa climb, where Tom's eyes and my eyes met...
    ...we shared a moment, I know it! :)

15. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been forced to watch this trailer about 5 times over recent weeks with trips to the cinema. A friend I was with one time genuinely thought it was a comedy it looked so cheesy.
    But good god Simon Pegg is annoying in it.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-qBD17wwrQ[/yt]

"An anti-IMF."
    It's like he's looking straight into the camera talking to the audience, "...just to make it clear to you bunch of morons."

Then his hilariously unconvincing "oh my god!!" at the end...
    Is he seriously paying homage to this golden cinematic moment??
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4[/yt]

16. Sir Anthony Eden

Sir Anthony Eden Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I thought the trailer was great, I like the Mission Impossible films and Tom Cruise so I'm looking forward to this.

17. Christopher

I am getting a little tired of the trope of Ethan Hunt and his team always being on the run and accused of treason. The only film in the series where that hasn't been the case was the second one, which is just about the only thing that film has in its favor.

Maybe the problem is that the films have made the CIA bureaucracy such an integral part of the story. In the original series, the IMF seemed to be an off-the-books operation -- a single professional agent recruiting amateur spies without official government sanction, so that "the Secretary" had deniability if their super-dangerous and often criminal missions were exposed. At least, that was how it started out, although they increasingly had official government and police support as they went on and eventually became a straight-up domestic crimebusting agency. Still, they were always acting effectively on their own, and the opening tape messages were the only presence their superiors ever had in the show. But the movies have painted the IMF as a much more official, integrated part of the CIA, and Ethan Hunt has had one superior or another to answer to in every single movie. So in order for Ethan (and his team in the movies that bother to focus on it) to operate independently, the superiors have to be in an adversarial role. Either they're actual traitors, or they think Ethan is one, or there's a mix of both.

Really, though, you'd think that by now, after Ethan Hunt has been accused and cleared of treason on three separate occasions over the past 19 years, his superiors would be a little more inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.

18. Sir Anthony Eden

Sir Anthony Eden Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Well quite, either execute him or realise he's not a traitor.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

To be fair, in all the films he's been accused of treason it was because he was being set up by a traitor within the organization. I know that's not an excuse for the movies to keep using this trope, and he's always cleared at the end anyways.

20. Christopher

Yes, needless to say, but that's essentially my point. Three times now, he's been falsely accused of treason and then cleared. So the CIA would have to be pretty stupid to see Ethan Hunt accused of treason again and not go, "Hey, wait a minute, is this another frame job? Which one of us is the designated traitor this time?" I mean, it's a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation by this point. Nobody should be gullible enough to fall for it again.

Though on the other hand, I could kind of see Ethan Hunt getting fed up with the CIA's constant ingratitude and mistrust and deciding to betray them for real. After all, what have they ever done for him? :D