Star Trek Magazine 39 on sale soon

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by PaulSimpson, Feb 6, 2012.

1. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

For the final time, just a heads up that my last issue as editor of Star Trek Magazine (#39) will hit newsstands in the States next week - subscriber copies have already been sent out.

As well as completing the 45s (with contributions from Mike Martin, David R. George III, Andy Mangels and Kevin Lauderdale), there's a special feature on the final episodes of each show, with short pieces by Dayton Ward, Kevin Dilmore, Marco Palmieri, David Mack, Kirsten Beyer, Bernice Watson, Keith DeCandido and Scott Pearson, and some cool stuff about spying in the Star Trek universe, with a main feature by Dayton once again.

There's an excerpt from Greg Cox's The Rings of Time, reviews of the late 2011 books and comics, an interview with Andrew J. Robinson, and a piece looking at the way that the original series was covered in the newspapers at the time.

And there's a complete run down of the 2012 books, with details not heretofore released... although I won't be in the least surprised if these are spoiled online before the magazine hits newsstands!

UK readers will have a bit of a wait, I'm afraid - I suspect it won't hit stores til mid-March, based on the way the last few issues have been arriving - and of course the magazine is now quarterly.

It's hard to tell how important TrekLit will remain to the magazine under the new editor, but it was a central part of my tenure, and I hope it remains that way!

Paul

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Sounds like you're going out with a bang! Looking forward to the issue.

3. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Best of luck in whaetver future endeavors you aspire to!

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, money is getting tight so I had to let my subscription run out. I'm assuming since I got thing to renew a couple weeks ago it means I won't be getting this one?

5. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish you the best Paul, but with the news of a quarterly schedule, and the Trek universe getting awful quiet, I've given up on the mag and sold some of my back issues (unfortunately, nobody seems to want issues #1-140, only the newer ones!). It was great fun, and I'll probably keep a few for nostalgia's sake, but not worth me continuing with it.

6. PaulSimpson

You should have had a copy - I asked for one to be sent to you, and most others have received theirs...

P

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I got mine today

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Got my copy this morning. Looks like a fun issue. Besides admiring the cool illustrations for my excerpt, I enjoyed the article on the early (and frequently erroneous) press coverage on the Original Series. That was amusing . . . and reminded me of that silly EW review that described Voyager as a time-travel series . . . because the clueless reviewer seemed to think that "light-years" was a unit of time. ("The ship is lost thousands of light-years from home," etc.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I regret that I didn't get the chance to participate in this issue. I guess I'll just have to buy a copy.

10. PaulSimpson

Tried to get as many people in as I could - but you'll be getting some Sci-Fi Bulletin love for Only Superhuman!

Paul

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hold on... I just got a copy of #39 in the mail! Much appreciated!

EDIT: Oh, I see, I must've been sent it because it contains a review of The Struggle Within. Plus maybe the mention of Forgotten History in the 2012 fiction preview.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  12. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

Does the Fiction Rundown include David Mack's new trilogy? Just a yes/no answer is all I am looking for.

I understand he has had trouble with it such as a rejected outline.

I've been looking forward to it because trilogies are usually big.

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yes.

And with surprising (to me, anyway) details

14. TerraUnam

TerraUnam Commander Red Shirt

15. PaulSimpson

I thought I'd asked for one to be sent to you, but that doesn't guarantee anything! Yes - it was for kindly supplying The Struggle Within!

As Mr McIntee says, yes it does, and I was pleasantly surprised at how much material on Dave's books - as well as on David R. George III's - we were allowed to give

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just read the fiction update on the Digital Edition preview on Zinio.com, and Mack's trilogy sounds EPIC!!

17. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good catch. Just read the update there, too... Mack's TNG trilogy sounds very interesting and I'm curious what it'll mean for the future of the TNG crew.

Yeah, my money's going to this too.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would it be ok if I posted the titles?

19. DeVario

DeVario Commodore Commodore

I'm loving it! With DRG's two novels, Beyer's The Eternal Tide, Martin's Fallen Gods and Mack's TNG trilogy, the second half of 2012 will be a great time to be a Trek lit fan!

ETA: I saw there was no mention of Una McCormack's Typhon Pact novel? I hope it's only because the novel was announced after the article had already been written, because I'm really looking forward to that one too.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  20. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds good, I will be onboard for all of the books this year except for the Titan book & DTI, I am sure Mack's Trilogy will be good, even though it is TNG centred who I have become bored of in the last few books

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012