Breaking In - New FOX Comedy - Christian Slater, Bret Harrison

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Locutus of Bored, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaVpKVDeQEE[/yt]

The half-hour comedy premiered Wednesday, April 6, 2011 at 9:30 pm on FOX.

Breaking In is about a high-tech security firm that takes extreme, and often questionable, measures to sell their protection services.

The show is executive produced by Adam Sandler and stars:

Metacritic reviews and score.

Watch the full premiere episode on Hulu.

Minor spoilers about the characters follow.

Now that that's all out of the way, while I found the premiere episode a bit subpar from a humor standpoint, and the half-hour format really makes the "mission" plots too rushed, there are a couple things that I think will appeal to fans here.

The first is that three of the characters (fully half the cast) are unabashed Trekkies. Christian Slater should be obvious since he's a Trekkie in real life, and his team leader Oz actually owns Captain Kirk's chair from TOS and conducts meetings from it (while telling Harrison's character Cameron he can't sit in the chair). He acquired the chair by doing a job for William Shatner, who was being stalked by Alphonso McAuley's character Cash in full Trek regalia. Cash dresses up as Spock and Han Solo, goes to cons, wears genre t-shirts, and spouts frequent inside references when he's not hazing the new guy.

The other reason some here might want to check it out is that Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum returns with all his hair as the douchebaggy Hummer-driving boyfriend of Odette Yustman's Melanie / other end of an obvious future love triangle with Cameron. He has a job selling clean urine to people taking drug tests.

The premise of the show is essentially a wackier version of the security testing company in 'Sneakers,' with similar character tropes (though a much younger cast). There's the enigmatic team leader, the young hacker, the intelligence guy, the safe-cracker, etc. They recruit or blackmail minor criminals and flakes into working for the group to test the security of various corporations. The first mission involves testing the security of a high end car dealership by stealing a car, and of course things go wrong and hi-larity ensues.

As I said, the show is a bit rushed in the half-hour format, to the point where the mission is shown happening through a series of flash forwards as the characters were still mapping out the plan. For people who enjoy the technical aspects of such shows, there's not much to see here. Unfortunately it also failed to really bring a lot of laughs (the Trekkie/Star Wars stuff was fun, though), but that could be a result of having a large cast to introduce in the premiere episode. I'll give it another shot next week to see how the show does with a less exposition-heavy episode.

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

With all the hoopla with Rosey coming back to 'Smallville'...he wanted people to check out his new show...I would have thought he had a bigger role. :lol:

I need to check this out though...Bret Harrison was great on 'Reaper' :bolian:

[edit] I am gonna watch this now on the FOX website.

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Apparently he was only supposed to be a guest star originally, but they liked his character and performance so much that they decided to make him a regular, so maybe he'll get more face time from now on.

4. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Ok...just got done watching it...

Cash is a bit over the top...but I'll allow it. :p Serious...there are somethings here people on this site might appreciate. ;)

Bret Harrison does a pretty good job...I really liked him on 'Reaper' so hopefully that will carry over here.

Christian Slater is great...no problems there.

I didn't like that Josh guy too much but whatevs.

Melanie was kinda meh...need to see more eps to decide whether or not I care about this character.

Over all a funny ep and wished it was an hour and not 30 minutes...actually online it worked out to be just under 22 minutes. :sigh:

As for Rosey...don't know where they will go with his character but with Cameron eying his gal...it could get interesting with Dutch. :)

[edit] I think this is well worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet. :bolian:

5. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Watched the pilot. It is likable enough, but the half-hour format really feels strange.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I didn't notice this before. I honestly didn't think anybody but me would bother with the show. :rommie:

I'll watch it for Christian Slater and Bret Harrison (I miss Reaper :(), and hope that they expand the premise, which is pretty thin at this point. I like the black nerd/Han Solo/Ensign Psycho and whoah, is that Michael Rosembaum as a redneck?

I don't mind the half-hour format. It didn't seem like it ended too quickly, in fact, the freneticness is downright tiring.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was amiable enough but I don't know if this will last on my watch list.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Anyone watch the second episode? Trevor Moore went from regular to guest star status.

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rosenbaums essentially playing the same character from Kickin it Old School where he was the dbag boyfriend.

10. Temis the Vorta

This show is definitely a case of shallow, unimaginative writing being propped up by genuine comic talents in the cast. I'll stick with it on the hopes that, even if the writing never improves, it will give the cast more material to work with, and at least they can provide the entertainment value. Introducing Slater's frakked up marriage is a good step. The more backstory the characters get, the more the actors have to work with. The missions themselves are uninteresting.

I don't get why we should care about Bret chasing his co-worker. He doesn't have any chemistry with her, it's just not something to root for, unless they make Rosenbaum more of a dirtbag, which would push the writing even more in the direction of cliche, which isn't the direction they should be going in. Also, if she has a dirtbag boyfriend, she should dump his ass, and if she doesn't, it's because she's an idiot and then why would we want Bret to be stuck with a stupid girlfriend? Chuck and Sarah, this ain't.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone cares, Michael Rosenbaum has a big role in this next episode.

12. Temis the Vorta

I think Rosenbaum has been upgraded to defacto regular? If he has been, that's a good sign that the producers are on the ball. With the thin writing, this show really needs all the scene stealers it can get.

13. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[LEFT]brett harrison was great on reaper loved that show wished it got picked up for a third season oh well. as for this new show got caught up on hulu and now I have set it to my DVR and michael look so weird with hair. did'nt even realize that was him.[/LEFT]

14. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I saw the second ep...I guess the 3rd ep comes on tonight?

The second ep was funny...the show is fast paced which is good but it doesn't leave alot of room for character development which can be done in a 30 minute format if the story is written right. I'd like to see a full season of this...but based on 2 eps...feels pretty shallow at this point.

15. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the fact that they threw in a lot of star trek on the pilot which was. and then they used highland and star wars refrences which was awesome. I am looking forward to tonight. this has great potiental.

16. Obiwanshinobi

^.....to be canceled....

17. Temis the Vorta

Last I heard, the ratings were solid.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Oh it's only a matter of time Temis.

19. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ Buzzkill. :klingon: Look, we need our weekly dose of Christian Slater. One of his shows has gotta stick sometime...:p

20. Obiwanshinobi

I actually liked his schizophrenic spy show on NBC.