Primeval: Canada

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by NrobbieC, Sep 13, 2012.

1. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

So while Primeval (the last decent British TV show that was any good since Torchwood went American, the latter still good but not fully British) looks to be dead (again) there's a Canadian spin-off thankfully not a reboot coming soon.

I'm not sure what to expect from it, I'm really hoping it'll be good though it'll have a hard time trying to match the mothership, but as I said it's a spin-off, original characters will pop up, written by the Reeves-Stevens...it does have potential.

Primeval has so many loose threads so if it does stay dead, hopefully they can be tied into New World.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are they still doing this? I don't remember hearing anything new about it in quite a while.

3. NrobbieC

Yeah, it's out in November I think.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, MAD (Amanda Tapping, Damian Kindler and I believe "M" is Martin Wood?) are Producing, now that Sanctuary is done, I think (Though I can't find Damian Kindler's name in the Cast/Crew on IMDB). I like Sara Canning, who was Jenna on Vampire Diaries, so that's a plus, though I am concerned they said they were going younger and sexier than the original UK show. The UK Series was pretty young, considering the premise and responsibilities, I hope they take reason with this "Younger/Sexier" version

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hadn't heard about that, but it makes me pretty happy. I loved Sanctuary.
    EDIT: Just found the first bits of footage on Youtube. I'm glad to see Niall Matter from Eureka got a new gig, I always liked Zane.

6. NrobbieC

Yeah I was a little worried it would become a sexcentric teen drama with dinosaurs, but they lead guy looks about 30 so I think it's safe.

7. Sindatur

Yea, me too. Oh, to have had a final 5th Season in the New Sanctuary :(

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too bad they couldn't have tied it into Eureka and actually made Zane the lead character. I would love to see the Eureka crew deal with the Anomaly's popping up in the town.

9. Sindatur

Oh, yea,
    Niall Matter, he's cool too. Could be hopeful. Wonder if/when the States will get it?

10. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

First time I've seen the trailer. I see they got Connor in for an episode or two. I'll give it a watch.

12. Pindar

Aye, kind of looks like a reboot though.

Will any of the stuff we found out up till now make it into the new show?

13. Bob The Skutter

I was figuring with the ending of series 5 would be where this picks up with anomalies opening elsewhere in the world.

14. Pindar

Was that the end?

I can't remember what happened after they shut down the power generator and ruined Bashir's plans.

15. Maple Dog

Maple Dog Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Type [yt ] [/ yt ]

16. Pindar

Ta.
    :bolian:

17. Bob The Skutter

I seem to remember after they'd started converging the anomalies, they actually ended up opening all over the world and they said it's a new world. I guess hence the title.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Saw the trailer. Looks okay, but much like the original, the main cast is rather lacking in ethnic diversity. I find that disappointing.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about Niall Matter as the lead. For most of his time on Eureka, I didn't like him much, but in the final season, when his character became more mature in some ways, my opinion of him improved somewhat. Still, I'll have to wait and see whether I like him here.

And did I see a shot in the trailer of Eureka's Colin Ferguson talking to Matter?

The most encouraging thing is the Reeves-Stevenses as the creators/showrunners. This will be the second dinosaur-themed show they've done, since they were writer/producers on the syndicated Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

As for the anomalies appearing in Canada now, really, I never understood why they weren't doing that all along. The original show never explained why they only opened around England and particularly London, except for the usual conceit of British sci-fi that London is the center of all things. I suppose maybe they were some kind of "aura effect" of Philip Burton's work, concentrated around the place and time where he created his thingamabob and extending around it both forward and backward in time. But they never really addressed that.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's more likely an issue of budget and the final two seasons were filmed in Ireland anyway, But then it's just as unlikely to see Daleks attacking LA or Chicago for the same reason.

20. Bob The Skutter

There never was an explanation for them only appearing in the UK, other than, I guess, limited knowledge of them. Of course budgetary reasons will have played in to that, though there was occasionally mention of them being outside of the south east, the north sea and in Wales I seem to remember.

But I guess there needs to be no other reason than it's filmed in the UK therefore everything happens here, just like everything happening in Sunnydale in Buffy and in Smallville or Metropolis in Smallville. That kind of thing.