Just watched all of Farscape for the first time

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Tombfyre, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Tombfyre

Tombfyre Commander Red Shirt

For some reason.. i avoided farscape for years and years. I saw the seasons go on sale at my local futureshop for like 25.00 a piece and i nabbed all 4 seasons and the peacekeeper wars film.

All i can say is Wow, how did i miss all of this. Aside from only a handfull of lame episodes, the show was epic! I'd place it alongside stargate in quality and fun.

It really seems like 1993-2003 was the best 10 year stretch for sci-fi in history. Becuase this lull we are in now... is horrible. I don't know what to watch now :(

2. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Only show still airing right now that I'm watching is Fringe. If you have HBO I guess the new Fantasy series based on Martin's novel's (A Game of Thrones) looks very good as well.

It's interesting you placed Farscape in such proximity to Stargate. I love both shows but I can't imagine to more dissimilar approaches to Sci-Fi. ;)

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as sf/f goes, I'm watching (when they're back) The Walking Dead, Futurama, The Clone Wars and V (yeah yeah :p).

It would be nice to have a good, kick-ass live-action space opera in the mix. Maybe Blood & Chrome will be that show.

4. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I'm watching the Walking Dead as well. Great season 1, but very short. I started watching V, but never made it past the pilot. My understanding is that it got better in Season 1, I just haven't gotten caught up yet. I'd like to, provided it doesn't get cancelled.

5. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Farscape is outrageous fun, plain and simple.

6. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

V only gets worse.

And Farscape is great. So much fun, so much different from the regular space sci-fi series ...

7. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got the whole series for $57 on Amazon. I'm excited about a rewatch.

8. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

It's a crime that Farscape, the absolute best science fiction show of all time (yes, that includes Star Trek and Doctor Who) has been all but forgotten. Watch it and just be amazed at the beautiful Hensen puppets and the storytelling. It's enough to make you weep when you think about all that could have been and the terrible treatment that this show, at the time the number one show on the number one cable network, was canceled in its prime to make room for TREMORS THE SERIES!

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it was canceled because the people who financed it thought it was costing too much. But from an audience point of view your point is valid.

10. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

I understand that perfectly well. But at the same time, the decision to continue to fund a popular and durable series that offers only a moderate profit seems very sound compared to canceling a sure thing to produce a cheaper series based on a dead film franchise.

11. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I could never forget this show. Sometime in the next few months, I'll watch it again. Seen the whole series a few times now.

12. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In its prime? Seems to me that the show had passed its prime, which was the third season. After forcing myself to finish the fourth and the telefilm, I was glad it ended before it could get any worse.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

13. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

It was planned to continue for a 5th season and do a finale then before series was cancelled prematurely at the end of 4th season. Farscape : The Peacekeeper Wars mini series is in fact 5th Season compressed to three hour movie......

It would be perfect if they did a Season 5 and made the finale at the end of that season.....