Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

It isn't his job to dictate societal change for the Onarans.

2. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't that what he's doing by cutting them off from the drug supply?

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I'm sure Picard expected there would be some violence and chaos during the withdrawal process, but that still didn't change the fact that his hands were tied by the Prime Directive.

At least if you're going to follow the Directive to the letter. Personally I always thought TNG was way too rigid about the whole thing, and should have let Picard stretch the rules a lot more than he did.

After watching Kirk and company rush in and help people left and right, it just seemed odd to see the TNG crew suddenly being so hard-assed and inflexible about the whole thing.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

But he wasn't cutting them off. They still had two working vessels and with the Brekians now knowing there bread and butter could evaporate, they will likely push the Onarans towards learning how to repair the technology.

5. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is because of Kirk he can't.

6. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the way they had the characters situated in their roles on the ship, Worf and Yar were redundant.

-Chris

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

If only his hands were as tied during Justice when the good white whitey people of planet white wanted to kill Wesley.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Very nice! I don't remember her, but then I haven't seen that episode for years.

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Picard merely declined to give them the replacement parts. If he had given them the parts, that could potentially be seen as a PD violation. As it is, his decision not to give them the tech was perfectly justified by the circumstances.

11. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Just caught "Too Short a Season", another one that gets knocked. People mention the bad acting but, I don't know, Jameson didn't seem that bad. The makeup does not hold up well though but that's no fault of anyone.

Anyone else notice the scene where Riker follows Picard into the forward bridge turbolift to greet Jameson at the beginning of the epsiode and right as Picard enters the turbolift he appears to yawn or open his mouth wide? I remember seeing this years ago but it's really easy to see now in HD.

Another cool shot from Bowman in this episode was the shot right over Picard's shoulder as he exits the aft bridge turbolift and, a few minutes later, re-enters it. The camera is very active and not static like it often is for those types of shots.

12. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

;) Personally, I've been noticing McFadden's photo double/stand-in, Lorine Mendell a lot more in HD. Her character is Lt. Diana Giddings.

[​IMG]

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Yup, noticed her in almost every episode of season one. Most of the times she seems to enter or leave the main bridge turbolift in the background.

That girl from "Coming of Age" is a cutie, too, however. I'll have to look out for her the next time I watch that episode. :bolian:

15. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Can't believe she was in so many episodes!

16. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone noticed, but during the opening credits, you can see that they actually put the name 'Enterprise' on the neck just below the torpedo launcher and just above the deflector dish. Just freeze the ship when the neck/deflector is the main thing on the screen and you can't miss it.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's always been there (part of the plans/design for the ship), it's just more readable in HD.

18. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, this is a clip in "Great TV Mistakes" show over here, one of the biggest laughs in it for me, actually.

The way it looks is that Picard is actually stunned that a turbolift arrived as he was walking towards the door.
    (Never mind the ten thousand other times that has happened ;) )

Maybe Dr Pulaski was in there, wearing not much "You know you want me on your ship next year, Jean-Luc!" :rofl:

19. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I've been able to notice that for many years. What you may find harder to see are all the other places the ship's name is written, like the inner side of the nacelle pylons, the shuttlebay entrance, and the section of the saucer that's exposed when the ship seperates. I love the level of detail Andrew Probert gave to the Enterprise-D. He seems to have thought of everything, including putting transporter emitters on the outside of the ship, and connections on the spine for deuterium refeuling.

20. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

But in the SD it's just been a streak of black/shadow because of th generational loss; even on the DVD's when they are upconverted you can't even read the name.