Disney's Frozen - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by CaptainCanada, Nov 30, 2013.

?

Your grade?

1. A+

28 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. A

22 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. A-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    5.2%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  1. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Do five year olds date?

Children should believe that the world is safe and wonderful; that you can fall in love at first sight, that you live happily ever after., that animals and snowmen have human-like feelings. Kids movies in particular should encourage that view.

Pretty sure conflating "don't marry the first guy you meet" and "stranger danger" is a stretch.

Is the world really so ugly that we must start educating children about it.....even in Disney movies?

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

But you and I know that isn't the truth. Trying to sell them a misleading and false view of the world is even a greater crime.

I don't know where you grew up, but the world has always been terrible.

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

The message was "Don't marry a guy you've just met". ie. a person who is a stranger. So no, not a stretch at all.

Again, what Disney movies have you been watching?

4. hux

What!?

It's a kids film. Infusing it with realism is a bit pointless when there's a talking snowman. The world is great, especially when you're a child

Do most adults marry strangers?? What?

The ones with talking animals and love at first sight and living happily ever after.

5. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

OMG...

[​IMG]

6. hux

Um no, it really isn't.

Kristoff is also a stranger. He just happens to be the second stranger that she meets.

It's the classic Disney trope "love at first sight" being subverted. That's fine but it's a pointless message in a children's story.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says it was supposed to be a message? Not everything needs to have a deeper meaning.

8. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

It's more for the teens and adults in the theater. With my older girls, I tell them that Hans is the guy your mom is already warning you about, even though it's a few years before you date!

9. JoeCabby

JoeCabby Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Watched this with the whole family and enjoyed it. 3 year old boy and 1 1/2 year old girl. The girl loved it, obviously she didn't get the message but she loved the musical numbers. We bought the CD and she enjoys it quite a bit. My son does as well, but he didn't enjoy the movie all that much. He only liked watching the musical numbers, but during the actual story he was playing with cars. My wife and I enjoyed it as well.

As for the message of the movie, I always saw it more as women don't need a man to rescue them. It was the opposite of just about every other Disney Movie where a woman is just waiting for a man to make their life complete.

10. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

^Anna ends up with Kristoff, but he's not the only thing in her life.

In the other princesses' defense, most of them were only children. And Ariel was the youngest of seven, her father was overprotective because of what happened to her mother (Ariel was her mother's spitting image). So one might see why things got lonely.

11. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Aww, that's adorable. Look at all the Elsas. :D

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

‘Frozen’ Copyright Lawsuit Settled By Disney

So, I hope the Disney marketing monkeys have learned something out of all this. I'm sure they were "inspired" by that poor woman's short, and ripping it off wasn't intentionally, but man... all this could have been avoided if they used scenes from the ACTUAL Frozen movie in the first teaser. No, this movie's main character isn't a snowman.

Or they could have also paid her to use her idea for the teaser from the start, and saved alot of wasted time and money.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but I'm sure Disney's default position is "We will always have more lawyers."