ENTERPRISE SEASON 5 (Netflix)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Rennick, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You seem to have misunderstood. I didn't say war stories hurt DS9's ratings, I said they didn't help the show's ratings. And they didn't. DS9's best-rated season was its first; the later seasons were its worst.

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^However you parse it, it has been well analyzed.

3. Hober Mallow

What's been "well-analyzed?"

I'm not trying to be a douche, but your response, apparently meant to rebut my point, ended up supporting it.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  4. Bad Thoughts

^The contraction of the syndicated TV market has been well analyzed. It's causes are known, its effects are known. Suffice to say that the same phenomena happened to all the top syndicated programs--Baywatch, Babylon 5, Xena, Hercules, etc.

5. Hober Mallow

None of which has anything to do with my point. I wasn't arguing that war stories (or anything at all) caused a drop in DS9's ratings.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well all I know, is that DS9's continual focus on the war (and the fact that it was really dull) drove this viewer away and I had been watching Trek since 1975.

7. Bad Thoughts

It was more apropos than your original response to my point about story.

8. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very interesting post and comment thread on the ENT Season 5 Netflix FB page today....

NX-01.5 refit post

They post a pic of the new Refit NX-01.5 which is EXACTLY like the official Doug Drexler design and there are some rather interesting, yet very ignorant comments from a few folks following the pic. It's rather amusing really as to the negative comments by those who don't like what this Netflix design team has done...er, what really hasn't been done to the ship. As you'll see, I kind of set the biggest critic straight mentioning the Drexler design.

9. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It still amazes me how a schematic for the NX refit snuck its way on the Blu ray menu screens! :lol:

Anyhow, fantastic that there's a Facebook campaign. I mean if it only achieved a single "Season 5" adventure made... somehow... then put out there on iTunes or Netflix... Clearly the whole cast gathering for that In Conversation piece for the Season 2 set, likely means they'd do so again for the right script and proof the SFX underpinning the whole thing doesn't let the side down.

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Yep, same here.

I still like DS9 well enough, but the painfully protracted and tedious war became the primary contributory factor in placing the show at the bottom of my favoured Trek's as it were.

11. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

i thought the Dominon War was great. The early seasons in retrospect were building up to that so that the whole series does create, more or less, a very cohesive bigger story.

12. BillJ

I'm not a fan of the design. They are taking something that has a unique look and trying to shoehorn it into the TOS aesthetic essentially ruining the sleekness of the NX-01 design.

13. Hober Mallow

Same here, although we're definitely in the minority. :)

14. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here. :techman:

15. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed Enterprise deeply, but I think we've just got to let it go. We're nearly to the ten-year anniversary of it's cancellation. If we do get a NetFlix original Star Trek series it would be better to start fresh and go somewhere new.

16. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Gina Torres tired of sci-fi?

17. Shaka Zulu

You said it. Let's face it, the only reason CBS won't make a new Star Trek show is because of the above-mentioned by you, plus all of the crime shows that they have now.

Somebody mentioned the kind of shows that are on the networks now (in particular, one popular sitcom that's on CBS) is why the USA is such a mean society:

The new meanness

If that isn't a good reason/rationale for Enterprise or any other Star Trek show to be on network TV, I don't know what is.

18. BillJ

They were saying the same thing about Seinfeld more than a decade ago.

19. Shaka Zulu

^And sadly, they were right (at least Seinfeld & Co. paid for what they did in the final episode.)

20. BillJ

Yet, Seinfeld was one of the funniest shows to ever air in the United States (in my opinion).

Sometimes we like to watch entertainment that plays to our darker impulses. It's why shows like Breaking Bad are so popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.