Movies that OFFEND you

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Konata Izumi, May 24, 2013.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the things I enjoyed about "Doc Hollywood" was when the Bridget Fonda and Woody Harrelson characters were allowed to move to LA even as the lead ended up going back to the small town. It was a nice illustration of your point.

(Even if I had a problem with what happened with the female lead in the same film)

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Bear in mind I'm an academic so I often have to watch a caricature of myself undergoing the highly simplistic "feel don't think" conversation process which is shown as a sign of growth in many films rather than a insulting false dilemma.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't get easily offended but one thing really gets me going.

Movies that play it very loose with the truth. Hollywood is really one of the biggest culprits there as it is very US centric going so far to distort truth and facts so that the US or american people can be the heroes whereas facts and history have it play out totally different.

Case in point is the movie "U571" about a US submarine in WW2 that managed to obtain an Enigma code machine from the Germans when in reality it was a british crew who did this way before the US entered the war.

I get the reason why Hollywood does this but it still irks me.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Well the film U-571 didn't go down that well in the UK. After all it was the crew HMS Bulldog who captured the first naval intact Enigma machine and code documents.

But it wasn't the first film to cause a minor stir in the UK esp. about WWII.

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

6. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't recall a movie actually offending me. Are there movies I disdain? Certainly, but none have offended me.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I was offended by Crash.

A mix of "I wasted money renting this garbage" and literally hating every part of it. Yes, the human race sucks, but not everyone in the world is a racist pig.

One of the few movies I turned off without finishing.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I've just seen a trailer for a Brad Pitt film called World War Z. That really offended me. Zombies piling up like ants. What the fuck are they smoking? In general I don't like for zombie movies, but this is the most over the top zombie shit I've ever seen an advertisement for.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Every time this topic comes up in the Trek Movies forum, you get people coming out of the woodwork in support of that very viewpoint. They think the movie doesn't work because it should be ok that those people are asked to move. There were other problems with Inusrrection, but the fact that these people didn't want to leave their home is not one of them.

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Reign of fire offended me for one very simple reason... so I was killing time at the cinema and saw this poster for a film that featured Dragons fighting helicopter gunships over London - holy fuck that looks awesome!

NOTHING ON THE POSTER IS IN THE FILM!

11. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You are a smarter man than me :(

I stuck around to the bitter end. I mean.. it won Best Picture... It had to get better at some point..?!?!

I'd say in general though I don't really get 'offended' by movies. I might find them ridiculous and terrible for numerous reasons. But offended? Ok, well, I guess there was the Phantom Menace.. I mean that was offensive. But aside from that..? Nah.

12. scnj

scnj Captain Captain

I counted five. Riley, Letty, Gisele, Vegh, and Mia.

13. tighr

That's how I felt about The King's Speech.

14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah well.. Oscars and all that.. it was small miracle that Return of the King cleared off most of them that year.

Other than that you really have to dig the topic of the movie or understand what it tries to say to appreciate an Oscar winner.. sometimes i'm really struggling to understand why a certain movie wins.

15. Bisz

Bisz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm with a couple of other people in here, pretty much the only thing that offends me is blatant historical inaccuracy.

I don't care that you have to make a movie that appeals to Americans/Christians/Males/people with money or whatever other group you are pandering to. Nothing gives you the right to re-write history, to take away the accomplishments of an individual/nation/group and give it to another individual/nation/group, U571 being a great example already mentioned, Argo being another.

For better or for worse people "learn" from movies and TV shows which means that people making those movies and TV shows should strive for a higher goal than just to entertain us, they should also strive not to misinform us.

Taking creative liberty for the sake of storytelling is one thing, blatantly lying is something total different. And that blatant lying is what offends me.

16. tighr

See, that's what I mean about King's Speech, though. I really do dig the topic of the British Monarchy, and the story behind George VI and The Duke of Windsor et al; my problem with the movie is that it was just plain boring. There was a better story in there than the one that focused on Prince Albert's stutter. Even then, that's completely ignoring the historical inaccuracies of the film itself... it did not feel like a "Best Picture" to me.

Of course, I'm still bitter that Shawshank Redemption lost to Forrest Gump simply because the year it was picked was stacked (no offense to Forrest Gump), but that other crappy films have won in down years.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Sometimes movies whose core message I agree with bother me more than ones whose message I disagree with. I hate it when movies make really terrible arguments for something I agree with.

I think all of Michael Moore's films fall into this category. He's on the same side as me, but he's making these really awful, really manipulative arguments and keeps putting himself on camera making his own ego a bigger focus than the topic he's trying to address.

He's made a lot of awful movies and succeeded in turning more people against my side than toward it. And he's made himself the fat, smug, obnoxious stereotype straw man for every anti-corporate political cause there is.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Heck, I'm still bitter that "The Morning After" beat "Ben" for Best Song back in 1972.

I really wanted a song about a man-eating rat to win an Oscar! :)

19. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

the only movie that i ever walked out on was the watchmen, everything about that movie pissed me off

20. freak

freak Commodore Commodore

For me, life is too short to get offended by movies. Movies are supposed to be entertaining and fun to watch and if people are offended by some issues that the movie stands by then that's their problem. I don't get offended by movies...but sometimes the dialogue offends me in a way.