Question about starships in Typhon Pact/Fall novels (spoiler)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by INACTIVEUSS Einstein, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Thanks, Avro Arrow, and thanks for the spoiler hint. :)

2. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

The Confederate QSD prototype was completely engulfed by Aventine's tractor beam and the exploding ship yard it tried to escape, along with all associated engineers and schematic.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

For a second there, I thought you were trying to say that Jefferson Davis came closer to winning the Civil War than we thought. ;)

4. Markonian

I wonder whether the Breen Confederacy's starship prefix is CSS? :rommie:

5. Sci

Heh.

Although! Moving back to the topic of starships in Typhon Pact, I wonder if the Khitomer Alliance assigns starship prefixes to Typhon Pact starships or its own members' starships the way NATO does for, for instance, French ships?

If it did, I wonder what the prefixes might be? Maybe we could speculate... ;)

Federation starships, of course, get the prefix "U.S.S." Rise of the Federation: A Choice of Futures depicts the early Federation Starfleet as being comprised of the space services of its founding Members, all converted into operating divisions of the larger Federation Starfleet; this seems to imply that "U.S.S." is a way of saying, "All these fleets are now united as one."

We know that Klingon starships have the prefix "I.K.S." for "Imperial Klingon Starship."

Memory Beta uses the term "C.D.S." for Cardassian starships, but I can't find a source.

Ferengi ships... Hmm. Maybe "T.G.S." for "Treasury Guard Starship?"

We know from Plagues of Night that Romulan ships get the prefix "I.R.W."

Breen Confederacy = "B.C.S." ("Breen Confederacy Starship")

Gorn Hegemony = "I.G.S." ("Imperial Gorn Starship") or maybe "G.H.S." ("Gorn Hegemonic Starship")

Tholian Assembly = All their ships names end with the second name Tholis, so that seems to be their equivalent...

Tzenkethi Coalition = "T.C.S." for "Tzenkethi Coalition Starship"

Holy Order of the Kinshaya = "H.O.S." for "Holy Order Starship"

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just double checked on Memory Alpha, and the IRW prefix for Romulan ships goes all the way back to 6th season TNG episode Face of the Enemy.

7. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

That's what I've always assumed. I imagined that U.S.S stood for "United Starfleet Starship", as in "ship of the United Starfleet", the United Starfleet being that amalgamation of members' fleets. I imagine people would drop the "United" and just refer to "the Starfleet", especially as the fleets became ever less differentiated.

Presumably, "Cardassian Defence Ship"? Andor uses the prefix ADS, which I'm again guessing is "Andorian Defence Ship"? I think CDS has been used several times in the novels; for example in "The Slow Knife" from Seven Deadly Sins.

As an aside, I note that the word "defence" gets used quite frequently. Even the Klingons have a Defence Force instead of the far more appropriate Offence Force. I suppose the urge to justify your aggression by framing it in terms of self-defence is universal...

"Imperial Romulan Warbird", I imagine, which implies it's only ships of the warbird tier that get this prefix (whatever the official definition of a warbird is). That said, some of the displays in DS9's later seasons also affixed a PWB prefix to some of the Romulan ships - perhaps "Praetorian War Bird?" Some sources mention a Praetorian Fleet as the most elite division of the Galae, so maybe they have their own prefix?

8. SicOne

Prototype, shipyard, engineers, and schematics all destroyed? ALL destroyed? Well. Isn't THAT a nice and neat and tidy way to put the kibosh on the TP's slipstream drive quest?

Clearly, the Typhon Pact needs a lesson on the benefits of redundancy...

9. SicOne

I am inclined to think of the prefix "USS" as standing for "United Federation of Planets Starfleet Starship". Rather lengthy, but there it is.

10. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

This was covered in Zero Sum Game - why there was only one physical site, and the corruption of the data versions of the new ship.

11. Markonian

Here's a list of starship registries from licensed material. Most of the entries are properly sourced:

http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Registry_number

Btw, the Ferengi's is FMS (Ferengi Merchant Ship). In the novelverse, non-warbirds have the registry ChR; in STO, all Romulan ships are warbird, and thus have the registry IRW or RRW (Romulan Republic(an) Warbird).

12. Sci

And there was absolutely nothing "neat" or "tidy" about that mission. I've often said that that book was very much "James Bond meets John le Carré."

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, Markonian.

As for the list on Memory Beta, I've always assumed that the Yridian YLT stood for "Yridian Light Transport", as the vessel with that registry was the small transport operated by Jaglom Shrek.