"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No, I don't remember those, ;)

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been getting the DVD's of and enjoying Batman: Brave and the Bold over the last few months (I just need season 1 part one and Season 2 part 2). I just watched the last episode of the series, Mitefall. It was awesome, and on a short list for best TV series ending, but besides that it did show one thing I think is relevant to this topic. It was all about Bat-Mite wanting a new, more serious Batman show, and they did a fake, short CGI teaser for a Batgirl show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTh_oq1sFQ (slight B:TB&TB Mitefall spoilers)

Obviously this was just a joke, but it actually had much better animation and character designs than Beware the Batman (incuding the actually decent looking Batman design near the end). I'm sure however they did it was probably something that would be more expensive than BTB's animation, but I thought it was funny that Batman: TB&TB even does CGI Batman better than BTB :rommie:

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

As great as 90s Batman was, there were TONS of godawful episodes. In fact I would say there was more bad than good.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A rehash of that Justice League episode. Not complaining, just pointing that out. And the Stagg Industries logo is basically an S with an I running through it, a dollar sign basically. Cute.

I was satisfied. I like the idea of a build-up too, but it felt like they established the relationship well enough.

Either that or spumoni.

I still like the show as much as I always did. It's nice to see Bruce dating even if it's a set-up.

5. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought this episode was pretty awesome. Batman and Katana working together and some good villains too. Plus we see the Soul Sword in action.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Not bad, though I'm a little unclear -- did Bruce really fire Alfred or was that just part of his test/plan? I guess he faked it in order to have an excuse to go to Bethanie and be "vulnerable" enough to be convinced to go to the Argus Club.

I would've liked it better if Tatsu had deduced for herself that Bruce was Batman. Really, that should've been the real test -- to see if she had the detective skills to figure that out.

Lady Shiva is fairly impressive as a big bad. A bit too quick to retreat, but maybe that just showed that she had more important matters to attend to than fighting Batman and Katana. Of course, I suppose Ra's will turn out to be the bigger big bad, but she's effective for now.

7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with you about Tatsu. I thought that's what Bruce was testing her for.

Agreed about Lady Shiva as well. She's the first villain that really works for me so far. Even Silver Monkey's storyline was interesting.

8. sojourner

Yeah, plot wise, I'm not sure what the point of the "firing" was. Did Bruce think ninjas were watching him at home and find him an easier target once he "fired" Alfred and Tatsu?

9. Agent Richard07

Reading up on Lady Shiva. She's a fascinating character. And I see that she's Cassandra Cain's mother. Somehow I don't see this show having the time or the opportunity to do anything with that, but you never know. I also see that Lady Shiva appeared on Birds of Prey. I don't remember that.

So, now that Katana is onboard with Batman, does she get a new costume? ;)

10. Christopher

As I said, maybe it was so that he'd appear to have something to be upset about, to give him an excuse to go to Bethanie and let her finally convince him to go to the club. Making Tatsu believe it too was part of her test, because...

Hm. Actually I don't have an explanation for that. It was a bit contrived.

A character named Lady Shiva appeared on BoP, but she had practically nothing in common with the comics' character.

I like her current look, but I suppose a mask would be a good idea, so that people don't start asking questions about why Bruce Wayne's bodyguard is running around with Batman all the time.

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bruce was a little out-of-character it seemed. Like his comment about getting too many credit card applications in the mail and that the insurance covered the damage to the limo. Seems like those are things that wouldn't be on the radar of a playboy tycoon.

12. Agent Richard07

I was wondering how Batman would get back to the cave without Katana noticing that they're headed toward Wayne Manor. Then we saw the tunnels and I'm thinking... How did Bruce manage to get all that made?

Thinking about it further, I suppose it could have been an old network of tunnels that he outfitted with lights. And maybe he has some sort of mechanism to shut everything down if the tunnels are ever discovered.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Old turn of the century mineshafts?

Emptied underground river?

What's the soultaker made out of.

Because it looks like it's designed so that when they have to make a shitty plastic toy version to give away with happy meals, its going to be piss easy.

Is it supposed to be jade, or copper, which has turned green like the statue of liberty?

And why do the characters on the sword look like Celtic runes more so than Japanese symbols?

14. Agent Richard07

It also looked like there was an indentation on the sword where a gemstone was supposed to be.

15. sojourner

So, um, the sword's special power is that it kills people in a way that's slower than stabbing them?

16. Christopher

^Actually bleeding out from a stab wound can be a relatively slow death, depending on the wound.

Per Wikipedia:
    Admittedly, the whole "make those who are evil commit evil acts" thing does sound pretty redundant.

17. sojourner

Yeah, I figured in the comics there must be more to it, but as portrayed so far in the show, it can only do 2 things. Kill fast (stabbing) or kill slow (soul taking).

18. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

When you look at the vast majority of Bat Caves in the comics, movies, tv shows, cartoons, it's probably best not to think about tunnels etc etc.

Just accept that Bruce Wayne/Batman does it and save the headaches :)

19. Christopher

Come to think of it, with Wayne Manor having its own island in this version, that means the tunnel goes under the river (bay?), which is a pretty massive feat of engineering.

20. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He may have access to alien technology, or Clark could have helped?

(This sounds bad)

19th century slave labour, or Chinese slave-like labour?

Thousands of people could have died making that tunnel.

Which kinda puts his parents removal from life into a relative perspective.

(He could have made that tunnel the hard way and only then got access to Thanagarian carving lasers and face palmed.)