is "Into Darkness" Quinto's last as Spock?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Maybe Quinto just isn't as skilled at talking for a half hour and saying nothing as Pine is or maybe he's busy with American Horror Story and not available

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Remember, they're all under orders NOT to talk about the film too much. Maybe Quinto just thinks it's easier not to talk about the movie at all rather than watch his words all the time.

When I working on the DARK KNIGHT RISES novelization, I adopted a policy of total radio silence regarding the movie, even with friends and family. It was simply less stressful than constantly parsing my words and wondering what I was allowed to say about the movie. Didn't mean that I hated working on the book or thought it sucked or anything like that. I just decided early on that I wasn't going to talk about it, period, so I wouldn't accidentally slip up and reveal something I wasn't supposed to . . . .

Plus, some actors (and authors) just like talking about their work more than others. There are actors who love promoting their movies and dealing with the press, while there are other actors who would rather have a root canal. Doesn't mean the latter hate their films or have something to hide. They're just not into the dog-and-pony show aspect of the business. They're about the work, not the publicity.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

The problem is, some of this "stuff" isn't that hard to read into. It's processing direct quotes. Everyone does that differently, and some don't do that at all, but most people do. When an actor says things like "... I don't feel particularly attached to what the outcome of that project will be," even if he starts out saying that he's "fulfilled," it just sounds a little lackluster. This is not seeing Zachary with a green bloodstain in a leaked behind-the-scenes set picture and then assuming something about it. It's a direct quote.

One, two, three of these, and it's easy to brush off as the actor being misunderstood. When it starts to become more of a regular occurrence, aka people getting the "wrong impression," then that's where I do think maybe something's up.

Part of it is the character he plays. Just about everybody loves Spock or knows Spock in some kind of way. Even non-Trek fans can associate Star Trek in general with things like Spock (aka "dude with the ears"), LLAP, the Vulcan hand sign, etc. Not to mention that Leonard Nimoy's Spock is probably the most iconic character in the history of the Star Trek franchise. I don't think that was the plan, but there you go. So, the torch that got passed to Zach is probably the biggest one. So, it's not a surprise that every time he says something about the character people are paying attention. And people will respond, one way or another, when it sounds like perhaps he's not happy playing the character anymore, especially when he did such a great job the first time.

I didn't read anything bad in between the lines of that interview. It was just funny. The interview was probably funny for all of the wrong reasons, yes, but funny it was. And I'm not talking about the "Cumberbatch's instrument" part, which was mildly amusing. I like Chris, and I'm glad that he clarified in a more recent interview that JJ and co. aren't having any fun with the secrecy.

I would love it if Zachary really did have a nice time making the film and really does want to come back for the third one (contractually obligated or not) that he say that clearly and with no additional statements attached that seem to take back some of the enthusiasm. I know that he wants to do more with his production company and more behind the camera stuff, and I really hope that he gets what he wants with his career, whatever that is.

I don't think anyone in this thread has made that prediction, and I think you are overreacting. Consequently, though, I do think that some hard-core Trek fans, not necessarily you, could here one of the main actors say flat-out "This movie is bad. Do not watch it," and they'd be like "That's subjective. "Bad" might not really mean what you think it means, and s/he's just putting his expertise in reverse psychology to good use by telling people not to see it. Now everyone will!" Spinning works both ways.

YMMV, of course.

I don't have a problem with him hardly talking about the film, but my concern is the same as yours. He doesn't seem happy about/with it.

That could be the case, but then that's why I do hope they have a coach do some practicing with them for interviews so that when the heavy press/promotional stuff starts they don't end up giving people the wrong impression(s).

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? The only thing that matters is that you don't get the wrong impression(s). ;)

5. Spock/Uhura Fan

I don't think anyone thinks that a "lack" of saying anything is the issue. Yelchin hasn't said a word and I don't see anybody complaining. The issue is what is said, how it's said, and how it can be taken. That's what may need some work, and that's why I think a team huddle with some coaching wouldn't be a bad thing.

6. Spock/Uhura Fan

Really? Seems like I wasn't alone. There were articles and discussions all over the place that seemed to have the "wrong impression." You don't have to look far. What thread are we posting in right here? ;)

7. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Speaking of Quinto, Dear spock/uhura fan have you read the recent issue of the latest star trek ongoing series? the one where Quinto is Photoshopped with a bread at the front cover?

I haven't fully read the issue as I just ordered it online but I have seen some previews and I can sadly tell you that mirror Uhura is total bitch, she dumps Spock in a most cruel way and runs off with Mirror Kirk who is perhaps a very evil person.

We all know how much Trek fans love the Mirror Universe so I hope you and other trek fans pick up this issue, so far it is receiving good reviews and the Art Work is stunning and its a way to keep Nu Trek fans occupied till May 2013.

8. Spock/Uhura Fan

No, I haven't read the latest comic because I don't read them. There is a lady in the S/U community I'm a part of online that gives updates, but I haven't visited lately. Thank you for the information. Mirror Uhura dumping Mirror Spock for Mirror Kirk is fine with me so long as it doesn't happen in our AR timeline in the movies.

And by the way, I know you're new and it looks like maybe you don't know how to use the spoiler tags/button. Here's a link to a thread at the bottom of the forum that might help:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=194236

9. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Maybe it's that I just wasn't paying attention at the right time, but I confess I really have no idea what either of you are talking about here. Do we have links to anything where Quinto or any other cast members have expressed unhappiness with any aspect of the production or production process?

I'm not so sure Orci wouldn't mind having a little fun with the secrecy angle, but Abrams is pretty serious about not giving much away ahead of time; mystery is a big thing for him. Have you seen this yet?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just spent five minutes :rofl:ing at this mental image.

11. Sindatur

I think you're changing the quote with your interpretation. I do not remember that being the meaning of that quote. Can you quote it exactly

12. Spock/Uhura Fan

@ KingDaniel - Now you know she meant beard. :vulcan: :p

Hence my quote here:

I think I elaborated a bit after that. The bolded part is not meant as an offense. I have a friend that says she never reads any kind of emotion from emails (or most anything written) because to her that is not possible. "It's just words," she says, and very technically speaking, she's right.

I have not, but I will give it a look and report back. Thanks.

13. Spock/Uhura Fan

Here's the link to the video interview snippet:

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...-star-trek-sequel-will-be-bigger-bolder-54826

This particular interview caused some people to think he was "distancing" himself from the film. At the time, I brushed it off and said that he was mistaken. But, I can and could definitely see how someone could see it that way. That was my point. Words, tone, shrugs/body language all add up for people in varying ways.

Now, I have to go. Will be back.

14. Sindatur

Yea, see I don't interpret it that way at all. He compliments the film, saying it's bigger and bolder, and his part is done. Since it's a collaboration of folks he has faith in, the final product will come from them. I don't see him distancing himself at all, only an acknowledgement that his acting is only a piece of it.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It's always bigger and bolder.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Looked much the same to me. I'm certainly not getting any sense that it was a negative experience for him; quite the opposite - he seemed to feel pretty good about it. However, his part in making it is finished. He's done - at least until J.J. and the post-production crew finish doing what they do and it's time to go out and do promotion tours for the movie.

That's just the way it is being an actor: you do your bit and (if you're lucky enough to work steadily) you move on to the next job, trusting that the end product will be good. It's not that he was distancing himself from the project or thought it was bad; it's just that he has no control over the part which happens after the filming wraps, so he's concentrating on his other projects instead of wasting a lot of time, energy, focus, etc. on something which is now out of his hands. That's showbiz.

17. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So that's it, the same guff about one Quinto interview that magically morphs into a rumor :lol:

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. He might just be focusing on his current project right now. Or be Trekked-out at the moment.

Usually, by the time I finish writing a book, in any series, I never want to look at it again! :)

Doesn't mean I don't want to write another Star Trek book someday. Just means I want to take a break and do something different first.

19. Spock/Uhura Fan

Okay, I just saw this and it was very nice. There are 2 things JJ said about the mystery box that I think are pertinent to this discussion, and the other various discussions/articles that have been posted around about Zachary's "misunderstood" quote. He said that the mystery box represented hope and possibility (to him). If we see this film as a "mystery box," then that means that anyone interested in seeing it has their own hopes about what is possible.

My point was that, for some or many people, an "ending eras of association" comment in an interview when referencing a new Spock we've only seen once, crushes that box a little. Now, you've got some people that think it's funny, and some people who think it's nothing, but you've also got other people who think it's not funny and it's not nothing, and the headlines and discussions that have followed reflect that. That is all.

And that is also why I brushed off the concern some people had about him distancing himself, but I can still understand why they thought what they thought. See my comment above.

This is a very nice statement, and I cannot disagree with it at all.

He can quite obviously say whatever he wants to say, and people will take it how they take it, good, bad, or neutral. Although, if he is focusing on other projects, like his role on AHS, then in interviews about those projects, perhaps it's best to just not say anything (like some people here seem to think is happening when he actually says something) and keep the mystery in the box.

For me, it doesn't matter either way. My plans have not changed. I'll ask a couple of people that I know are going to see the film my 2 questions, and depending on the answers, I'll either go see the film or perhaps maybe catch it when it comes out on HBO or something. No big deal.

So is perception, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What are your two questions?