The Back to the Future hoverboard is finally here!!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Romulan_spy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Back to the Future hoverboard is finally here!!

http://youtu.be/A4vE_vpkr90

Is this real?? If it is, it is the coolest thing ever!

2. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

From what I'm reading on the Washington Times, this an elaborate marketing campaign dreamed up by Nike for the launch of a new line of shoes in 2015.

3. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So that's why they didn't wait until April 1st.

How do people propel themselves? I mean, on the real device or the marketing fake. Seems like antigravity is one thing but locomotion is another issue.

From Techcrunch:

If you're looking for a well-crafted but ultimately very fake video about hoverboard technology featuring Moby, Terrell Owens, Tony Hawk and Dr. Emmett Brown himself, today is your lucky day. The video above is exactly what I've described, featuring a weird cast of cameos and what appears to be a fake tech team powering everything, plus a soundtrack with Chromeo and Best Coast. Also there's a Mark Cuban endorsement to complete the strange assembly.

The tagline is that the "Future Has Arrived," when in fact it hasn’t. Aside from being a clear (though still technically impressive) fake, the website for this demo and fake company also shows a counter with December 2014 as the projected "destination time" for whatever's going on here. That could just be part of the artificial HUVr product dressing, but it could also be when whatever's being promoted here breaks cover.

4. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

While the Hoverboard as seen in Back to the Future is a long way off in terms of future tech - I can see however the shoes in BTTF which were Nike's of the future that self laced as possible tech today. In fact it is:

Nike designer says yes to self lacing shoes in 2015

5. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Some of those props looked very crude. And they couldn't rent one of the DeLoreans already decked out as the Outatime? Lots of fans have built them.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

We'll know the future has arrived when teenagers start wearing their pants inside out. :)

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Body lean? The more you lean, the faster you go, to stop lean back. Just guess work on my part.

I wonder if they would be street legal?

:)

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

How can anyone watch this and think it's real? Has no one ever been on the internet before or seen CGI before?

Or thought, "Hey, if this type of technology existed maybe the first thing it's used for WOULDN'T be to make a flying skateboard?"

9. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I thought. First, if an antigravity device were to have actually been invented, I doubt the BTTF hoverboard would be the first item that would be built based on that technology (I can picture the military salivating over such a discovery. Imagine all the drones they could build that don't even need motors or rotorblades of any kind)

And even if it were for real, have you guys ever tried to slide on a piece of wet ice? Now imagine trying to slide on something that has zero friction!

Only way it would be feasibly possible is if you have matching "hover shoulder attachments" that stabilize the top half of your body to stay upright. Even then you'd still be at the mercy of a little gust of wind.

Sadly, I am obsessed with the idea of flying cars, but realistically I can't see a way to build one that doesn't look like a Cessna with user removable wings, mainly because of the stability issue. A true flying Delorean would get tossed about like a piece of paper and probably would smash against the ground on its maiden voyage (unless we could come up with some "fly by wire" antigravity activation)

As for the hoverboard, why would you want that pink Mattel one? I rather have the Pitbull hoverboard :)

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Flying cars will never make it because they are simply too big of a security risk. It won't be because of technical difficulties. You simply cannot have hovering and flying cars in a city environment. End of story.

11. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know :wah::weep:

12. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So I am wondering. Could a magnetic track be made and enough power generated that a board of this nature could lift a person while over the track? I don't know the power requirements for that. If they wore a battery vest that plugged into the board would this be even remotely possible?

13. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Certainly. ^^
    There's also a major case against (wasn't this on Mythbusters?) that suggested a car was physically too small to contain the power source required to lift it off the ground in the first place.

Anyway, this was a really fucking stupid 'marketing campaign' and I'm glad people have forgotten about it already, it basically did nothing but spread misinformation and made people even stupider (I still recall when this first happened in 1989 when everyone thought hoverboards were real because of what Zemekis or Gale said in an interview, jokingly).

:guffaw: Why, Chris Llyod, why??