Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter produced by Tim Burton in the work

I have pressed that people should read the book before they decide to go see the film. The film's script is written by the author. It might help you make that final decision to see it.

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I routinely go into movie threads and say how bad movies look.

Oh.

Wait.

I don't do that at all.

Yeah, I felt a lot of Matrix-style crap in it that didn't impress me. I'll keep watch on it but this trailer didn't impress me.

I shouldn't have to read the source material to something in order to enjoy or "get" the movie.

3. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

All I know is, Mary Elizabeth Winstead is in it, so I'll watch it.

4. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I really like the trailer. I'm sold. (and I have not read what it is based on)

5. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

Looks good, but visuals have never been Bekmambetov's problem.
    Although I'm a bit worryied that the night scenes are quite dark and 3D darkens the image even further.

6. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I didn't care for the trailer, but that's not really bothering me with this movie.

I mean, honestly, I can't think of anything better for pitching this to mainstream audiences.

7. Admiral_Young

8. Admiral_Young

9. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Lincoln's persona in this trailer appeals. At least to me. He didn't speak in the first one, although I enjoyed it as well. Benjamin Walker's a cutie--but not in a pussy, Twilight kind of way.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny, since this guy wrote Dark Shadows as well, that this film seems to be approaching its material in a more straight and serious way than I'd have expected while Dark Shadows went more the other way.

11. Dorian Thompson

That is interesting. Maybe Burton thinks he needs to go the other way because Dark Shadows has always been "gothic"? I wasn't impressed with the Dark Shadows trailer. I was disappointed to see it was a full on comedy. I expected dark comedic elements because it was Burton, but not the whole 70s pastel and lava lamp treatment. Seeing as its been 20 years since the "remake" series, I was hoping to see some gothic again. Not to be. sigh :(

I don't think Abe Lincoln vampire hunter could even sell unless you remained true to the source material's tone. I have got to pick up the book before the movie comes out. The movie will be a huge hit or a huge failure. I can't see it anywhere in between. It's soooooo outrageously out there, you almost admire it for the absurdity. It even caught my mother's attention and she's the quintessential film snob.

Maye it's just that I've "discovered" Benjamin Walker and find him insanely attractive since I listened to some of his bizarre, irreverent stand up comedy routines. :lol: I just about choked to death with laughter at the clip of him singing "I wan to f*** Michelle Bachman...but it would be consensual" as commentary on the Republican candidates. I had no idea he'd done stand up comedy, or was married to Meryl Streep's daughter. He's weird, but in a good way.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The John Carter people should have realized they needed to cast someone like Walker as the lead. For that matter, they should have hired the people marketing this movie, because they know what they're doing. :bolian:

I think semi-comic is a good way to take that movie. There's only so many brooding vampires we can take. It's Depp's performance that bores me. He's doing the same schitck we've all seen too many times before. Anyway, The Lone Ranger is a better opportunity for him to break out of his rut and do something other than Schitck A or Schitck B.

13. Dorian Thompson

Agreed, Temis, on both points. I had literally next to no knowledge of Abe Lincoln, VH, until that first trailer caught my eye. I was like......well, that's certainly different. :guffaw: Point is, it caught my attention. There's a terrific shot of a young Lincoln's eyes, close up, as he stares upward before the female vamp goes on attack in the first trailer that made me ask, "Who is that? His eyes are striking. They grab your attention."

John Carter's trailer seemed like another multi million dollar SFX fest with a non charismatic, male model lead. Attractive but highly bland lead. No soul to it.

Yeah, Depp is doing the usual schtick. I agree 100 percent. Sad thing is, he'd have made a great, brooding Barnabas had they gone that way.

14. Temis the Vorta

I think it'll be a big hit. Maybe the sequel can be Abraham Lincoln: Emo Rock Star.

Not sure if this has been posted in the thread yet, Benjamin Walker in Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-6WQNELm6c&feature=related[/yt]

15. Dorian Thompson

:guffaw: :guffaw: See what I mean? The guy's a divinely inspired lunatic. I'd heard of that musical but didn't know much about it. He does seem to have charisma in spades. I'm thinking that's what will make Abe Lincoln VH work.

I saw a clip of him on youtube in an indepent film from 2010 called The War Boys. Let's just say, Mr. Walker's not homophobic in the least. :devil: I won't link it here. You can find it easily enough if you're so inclined. My girlish adoration is probably already making poor Mr. Adventure gag.

16. Temis the Vorta

I'll have to go look for that one next, but for now I found a better Andrew Jackson clip with more singing:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOII5UB3KPU&feature=related
    [/yt]

17. Dorian Thompson

:techman::techman::techman: Very telling about Jackson, some of those lyrics.

18. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Clicked on the trailer.

Lincoln isn't just a vampire hunter but a supernatural being himself. Also, this superhuman likes to play with his ax before the, uh, blood (that's the ticket:techman:) spurts, doesn't he? Well, if that floats your boat, sail on, sail on.

The superstrength and antigravity antics aside, the accents are wrong, the scenery is wrong, the narration moronic, and mixing in real people in real battles with these testosteronal ballets jarring in the extreme. And the guy playing young Lincoln seems both pasty and flabby, which only fits with someone who has a seriously pervy interest in public display of the axe, not someone who can chop through a tree with one whack.

Makes me feel like I flunked a surreptitiously administered IQ test in a survey to see how smart people really are.

19. Dorian Thompson

Wow.....you're so much smarter than us mere mortals. I'm in awe.

20. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^What's really awesome is turning "Benjamin Walker doesn't make me horny" into "I'm smarter than you." Obviously I'm not, since I could never figure out this logic.