Budget cut/location change for Trek 3

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Nov 12, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://trekmovie.com/2013/11/11/summer-box-office-budget-reduction-trek-3-tidbits/

Similar is happening for Superman Vs. Batman. I don't think it'll make any difference - this isn't a big-budget-to-glorified-TV-movie downgrade like we got with Wrath of Khan.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Star Trek Into Vancouver?

3. F. King Daniel

Maybe they'll beam down to Canadian Forest Planet from Stargate!:D

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I've been seeing ads here on the site urging me to go to Prague, for some reason I can't fathom. Maybe that's where they'll film it.

5. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Sound like the budget is basically going to be the same as STiD ($20 million less but saved by shooting in a different location). And they got to be saving some money with the new director too.

This is another indication that politicians in my home state (California) are idiots (as if there was any doubts before). They are driving away an industry that is globally associated with Hollywood/California. No wonder that despite some of highest taxes (income, property, consumption) in the country we still have yearly budget deficits.

6. Melakon

It's not just the taxes that causes productions to move outside LA. The trade unions for actors and technical professionals also drive the costs up. Relocating production makes it easier for them to hire non-union crews, though at the risk of on-site pickets.

7. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Not a shock at all. I'd expect the budget to shrink to no lower than Trek '09

The only real shock is that they shot both in LA considering how that isn't really the industry norm these days, cheaper to shoot elsewhere. Vancouver, Detroit, Philly, and Atlanta all have better rates than LA.

8. F. King Daniel

I guess, moving away from California, they'll have no choice but to change engineering - both the brewery guts of the ship (unless they go somewhere else with a brewery, of course!) and the NIF warp core.

Good thing they had that refit at the end of ID.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Greenscreen...Greenscreen...Greenscreen! Damn it guys, you can have any engineering room you want!

Brewgineering is the one thing I can't get past with the new movies. The NIF Core in STID was a huge upstep.

Edit: Took me a while to find it: a TrekBBS Fanart Challenge had a engineering concept I loved.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

How dare they take money away from Star Trek!!!!!

I wish they would film it in Sydney like ROTS. Then I could camp out and beg to be an extra.

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Functionally speaking, they haven't. The thing is, what with the taxes in LA and the bloated and inefficient filmmaking industry in Hollywood, a lot of the budget of the past two movies didn't actually go into the movies themselves. Moving production out of LA lets them put the same amount of money on the screen while saving money overall.

Really, though, I think cutting the budget would be a good thing. With a tighter budget, the next film might have to focus less on spectacle and effects and more on character and story. I think the Abrams films have done pretty well overall with the characters, but the last one had some action scenes that went too far overboard and didn't really feel necessary. I wouldn't mind seeing that stuff dialed back some.

12. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: Massachusetts

13. Melakon

But then you'd have to sign a secrecy agreement and wouldn't be able to tell us about it. Or publish any on-set pictures. Would you survive?

14. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I could have fun with that. "OMG! You should see the [redacted] and when you see it on the screen with [redacted]...you don't know how amazing this is. Gotta go, [redacted] jsut bought the extras lunch for all the hard work we did filming [redacted]"

15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have unions in Canada, allied with their US counterparts in several cases, depending on specific disciplines. But that's not often considered cause for fiscal concern from the US production companies' perspective, apparently. And the VFX houses up here are as competent as anyone elsewhere on the planet.

16. teacake

I have a friend who was on the set for Anakin falling into the lava in ROTS. He had to sign his soul away to see it.

It was very hard on ME not to beg him to tell me something :lol:

17. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The joke about ST: Into Vancouver gets me wondering, though. Nicholas Campbell as an admiral? Ian Tracey or Venus Terzo as one of Kirk's peers in ship-captaincy? :-)

18. teacake

I WANT MIKE DOPUD.

19. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

To have been there, to witness that? I'd sign my soul away...if it didn't already have a couple of liens on it between the wife and the Devil.

20. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, this makes sense. Into Darkness performed below expectations and reducing the budget is just good business sense. They did the same with Wrath of Khan and we all know how that turned out. If anything, a budget cut is a good thing. A smaller budget means less pressure for the film to succeed and more creative freedom for the writer and director.