teacake does Stargate: punch it

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by teacake, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Maybourne's great. When I did my own watch-through of SG-1 back in late '10 through mid-'11 (that is one long damn show :lol:) I found myself hating Maybourne at first and then gradually coming to like him a lot. He was one of my favorite recurring characters.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Proving Ground: ehh..... Hayley wasn't as bad this time round. This was typical but it DID have Grace Park in it :D

3. teacake

48 Hours: This one had everything. Dramatic rescue, the latest Goa'uld, Maybourne, the NID, silly Cold war stuff and the best thing ever: RODNEY MCKAY.

He is so young and annoying and adorable! Of course he's more of a little bitch than in SG:A but he's quite a bit older there :lol: He has more hair and less social graces here. I deliberately did not look up what episode he is in so I was just thrilled to bits to see him after my Stargate marathon tonight.

So. Let me share my joy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:adore:

Carter: God you're a jerk.
    Mckay: I wish I didn't find you so attractive.

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Ah, yes, Rodney's first appearance...In Atlantis, his arrogance actually is part of his charm, but, in his first appearance on SG1, he was a horrible person, that desperately needed to be neutered with a rusty spoon.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

McKay really was a jerk in 48 hours. And that's a jerk for the sake of being a jerk. At least in Atlantis, they lightened it up and played the jerk angle for comedy.

And looking at those pictures, he really gained weight by the time Atlantis rolled around. I'm not criticizing, I'm certainly more than a bit overweight. But still, it is very noticeable with him.

6. teacake

I like him pudgier myself. 48 Hours is the promise of greatness.

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I always thought he and Sam were like the Ross & Rachel of SG. Except they never shagged. Or got married. Or had a baby. On second thoughts, probably nothing like them.

8. gturner

gturner Admiral

Greatness is Walter there to call out the chevron dialing sequence or announce an incoming wormhole, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for ten years, without a vacation or even a pee break.

9. teacake

He loves to dial.

10. gturner

gturner Admiral

Yeah, he's one of the last people in the country who still uses a rotary pulse-dial telephone.

11. Sindatur

I was actually surprised to discover Walter wasn't in every gate dialing scene. I believe it was early on when he got time off, but, yea, later, he's always there (Unless that's backwards?). Still probably the most Guest starring episodes of any actor on the show

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

In the early years he was undergoing a lot of dialing training off base with Lily Tomlin, and for a time the Air Force considered making the standard procedure "One ringy dingy. Two ringy dingy..."

13. Sindatur

Ahhhhh...Of Course :alienblush: Don't know why I didn't put that together :alienblush:

14. teacake

Summit: MY GOD THAT WAS EXCITING.

I loved the soap opera of sending Daniel in to Goa'uld Khitomer with his ex-flame. I was yelling at the screen, DANIEL DON'T BE A PUSSY, YOU HAVE TO KILL HER!! Of course he hesitated. This is why he will never be a real man in my eyes. If you cannot slay your possessed ex-flame who is already doomed in order to spare countless thousands her fate you should go back to the library and get your ass off the SG:1 team.

Martouf now lives on. Hilariously though the Tok'ra can build ships that fly through space and grow tunnels they cannot build rock proof glass. I was impressed that a character I assumed was here today, gone tomorrow is now carrying Martouf's symbiont. This show really excels at using very minor characters sporadically and dramatically.

Zipacna is just hilarious. Such a heavy lidded smarm fest, I don't think I've ever seen anyone flare their nostrils and curl their lip simultaneously to such effect!

[​IMG]

15. teacake

Last Stand: Okay I teared up at the end of this. When I'm watching these eps I make notes throughout because I have the memory of a toilet. This is what I wrote a couple scenes into this episode:

Because you know.. Martouf loved her but now his symbiont is in Elliot. And Elliot is young, just a greenling but there is that whole added dynamic of the boy with a several lifetimes worth of wisdom and memories suddenly a part of his boyness. And Carter is a lot older, a lot more savvy than Elliot but a lot less experienced than Elliot's symbiont and all of a sudden that's a very interesting romance. Fast forward three quarters through the episode and Elliot's telling her that "he" loved her and "he" it seems is not only Martouf but the symbiont itself. And THAT is even more interesting.

AND THEN THEY DIE.

:( :( :(

Okay the rest of it..

I was shocked at the Goa'uld eating the symbionts. SHOCKED. And they are suffering a population slump because of this? How many of these things do they eat? Why do they eat them? Do they secretly hate them? Do they fear the competition and want to remain the only system lords?

What an excellent series to raise so many questions. Don't answer these questions please! I am wanting to remain spoiler free.

To recap in pics..

Zipacna, OH Zipacna.. the sneer on this one. I'm in awe.

[​IMG]

And then we have Sarah, so much more interesting and hot as Osiris:

[​IMG]

And finally.. :(

I'm very sad about this.

Poor kid. Poor symbiont.

[​IMG]

I need a cup of tea.

16. teacake

Fail Safe: Carter's hair is just too short. Remember back in the day when I was posting pics of Carter's varying hairstyles and panting over them? I barely notice her now.

[​IMG]

Who are the statues behind Hammond in his office? Not the photos which I assume are of his grandkids, the statues.

[​IMG]

17. teacake

The Warrior: Teal'c is real excited because he gets to join the Jaffa Boys Brigade. But in the end it turns into Crouching Jaffa, Hidden Goa'uld and after the cool air fighting everyone has to run away through the stargate.

18. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Throughout season 1 Walter does seem to be the SGC's only gate dialling technician. However, he has only a handful of appearances throughout seasons 2 and 3 (six in each). Thorughout these seasons gate dialling was handled by others such as Laura Davis, Graham Simmons, Russell Benson and Vern Alberts. Walter steps in more frequently in season 4 though the above do appear a few times. By season 5 through to the end Walter is essentially the only dialling technician in the SGC, with rare exceptions.

Walter has made a grand total of 108 appearances on SG-1 plus the two DVD movies, 12 Atlantis episodes and one SGU.

According to the DVD commentary this was to address what some felt was a plot hole: if every Jaffa has a symbiote, why aren't there more Goa'uld than we see?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  19. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Shocked me too.

"Oh no, Daniel's gonna get implanted...how's he gonna get out of...HOLYCRAPWHATTHEHELLJUSTHAPPENED????"

That's pretty much how my thoughts went.

20. gturner

gturner Admiral

Those were great episodes.

Regarding eating the Goa'uld, I recall talk of a paper on evolutionary biology that used computer runs to show that with relative immortals in the breeding population of a species, evolution slows way down, virtually halting. The long-lived members are obviously extremely fit, and their constant input of the same genes into the breeding population makes it much harder for any novel mutations to spread.

The Goa'uld provide an interesting example of this, where the dominant members have been dominating (if not virtually monopolizing) the gene pool for thousands of years, even though their rate of reproduction could be very high.

Getting away from direct biology, we've got the problem that their offspring will posses their knowledge and be every bit as smart and cunning as they are, such as Tannith, Klorrel (sp? Apophis' son) . The most dangerous adversary to any system lord would be his own offspring, who would already know his secrets and any weakness he'd been concealing from the rival system lords. Given how long the Goa'uld live, and that they're fully aware that they all seek power and dominance, there's almost no way that offspring wouldn't find the oppportunity to slay their parents, given a century or two focusing on Goa'uld who most directly blocks their rise to power.

Viewed in that light, by eating their own offspring the system lords are removing the most direct threat to their continued dominance. It has elements of Jerry Pounelle, Steven Barne's and Larry Niven's books "The Legacy of Heorot" and "Beowulf's Children", based on a species of African frog that survives by eating its tadpoles. The tadpoles don't reach maturity until the parent dies (and thus quits eating them).

So in closing a plot hole, they opened up a view into an interesting dynamic. The Goa'uld figured out how not to become King Lear.