How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2008.

1. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Well, I was only pointing them out specifically as two of the least important supporting cast members. Off the top of my head, we've seen of the recurring variety:

John Lithgow
    Rachel Bilson
    Danica McKellar
    Bill Fagerbakke
    Wayne Brady
    Sarah Chalke
    Laura Prepon
    And the guy who plays Ranjit.

And I'm sure I'm forgetting some. These all appeared in at least two episodes, most in many more. And none of these were "stunt-casting" (like Britney Spears was).

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the life of me, I thought there was an episode a few years back where "future Ted" (Bob Sagat) mentioned something about "Aunt Robin" never having had kids of her own.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

there was.

Just before Marshall and Lillies wedding.

It's why they broke up.

And then there was a talk to the kids about how good Aunt Robin had it travelling the world.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's what I thought. So I kind of had a feeling this pregnancy was going to turn out to either be a false alarm or a continuity screw up.

5. Guy Gardener

I thought they were going to violate their own continuity.

After seven years of Voyager, I'm used to Producers who don't watch/read/remember their own work.

6. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thought I'd bump this thread since there was a new episode last night.
    I hate these episodes when Ted and Barney have some crazy scheme to do something like open a bar or adopt a baby. Kal Penn contributed absolutely nothing to this episode, the Puzzles song was lame, and the whole wet hat bit was just stupid.

The Marshall and Lily stories with their fathers had potential, but since they had to cram in the Ted/Barney, and Robin stories they couldn't do those stories justice. I wish the producers would get a clue that they don't need to give everyone equal time in every episode.

IMO this was the worst episode of the season.

7. Guy Gardener

Ah, but the Puzzles Flashback was real.

That shit is money.

8. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the Puzzles bit and found it much more interesting than the whole "Mysteries of the Unexplained" bit with Marshall and Lily.

I groaned when Ted mentioned that Robin's career turnaround would be explained later, as that's the problem with the show, everything somewhat interesting is teased and we're told he'll tell us later.

9. Guy Gardener

What about the Goat on his birthday.

Have we got to the Goat?

They've cock teased us on that twice now.

Once Robin gets a good job, surely she's moving out.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They did the part with the goat, just explained that he got the year wrong, and that not all the events were happening together (some were that birthday, the goat part was the following year, when Robin was living with him).

11. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

We got to the goat in the fourth season finale. And why would Robin move out? Honestly, they're splitting up the group enough as it is with Lily and Marshall moving to Long Island. Why do it even more?

ETA: Oops... Scout beat me to the punch.

12. tighr

We got teased with the goat a few times, then we actually got the goat story, and then they've "flash-backed" to the goat a few times since.

I actually like that this show throws in the references to people who are paying attention. Like how every time they eat a sandwich, they're really smoking pot. Or this episode's reference with the bouncer punching Barney, they don't even bother explaining why he punched Barney. It rewards fans who have been with the show without boring them to death by re-explaining things.

13. AliciaD496

AliciaD496 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry to pull a little thread necromancy here but I thought after this week's episode it was appropriate...

Intellectually I knew Robin and Ted would never happen (she's been Aunt Robin to the kids since season 2 or so, if not from earlier I think) but I was still rooting for it to happen anyway. Last night was just heart breaking for me. Ted's so willing to throw his own happiness away for Robin and she just tosses it in his face time and again. Poor Ted, I hope they get closer to revealing the mother soon.

It does though, along with seeing the episode where Robin asks Ted to be her best man in reruns today, confirm to me that Robin and Barney aren't through. I'm almost sure now that it's Barney and Robin's wedding we flashed forward to at the beginning of this season. They've danced around each other all season and now both are single and Robin's ready to say yes to someone (just not Ted apparently).

14. tighr

Barney and Robin are happening. It's a foregone conclusion.... At least I hope so.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

She's been "Aunt Robin" since the first episode, actually.

16. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree. Robin ending up with Barney just seems wrong to me. I didn't really like Kevin but I would have preferred that he and Robin had gotten married.

17. Technobuilder

Technobuilder Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We've seen the mother's foot in the apartment of the girl Ted dated for awhile. It was her roommate. So unless Robin was living with a roommate and they never put two and two together... No Dice.

It will NEVER be Robin.

Despite what Marshall did in saying "Not Yet" to Lily.

HOWEVER...

They could go a different Route and have the mother be named "ROBIN" too I guess.

18. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^That could be. That way, Marshall could still win his bet.

So, who is Barney ending up with? We know it ends with a wedding. Does he get back with Nora or is it Robin? And isn't the wedding where Ted meets The Mother for the first time? I guess that means another year until they wrap this all up.

19. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't decide if the wedding... which I think will be Robin and Barney... is at the end of this season or the next.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ted has said in the past that he meets the Mother at a wedding, yes. I think he has said this as far back as season two or three IIRC. I have no problem with Robin and Barney being together. I think fans consider it a bit weird because of Barney's behaviour over the years...but he and Robin seem to be a good couple. He loves her. I saw the tease about Ted and Robin (haven't actually seen many episodes this season unfortunately yet) and as much as I liked them together the best, they weren't gonna go that route again I don't think.