Data's character arc - which episodes to watch?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by sebimeyer, Aug 29, 2008.

1. sebimeyer

sebimeyer Ensign Newbie

Hi all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I was planning on watching TNG episodes that focus on the development and character arc of the individual TNG characters, starting out with Data. Since it's been a while, I am actually not sure which episodes I should watch (shame on me, I know) even though I do have all of them on DVD.

Since there is bound to be interest by other people in such a list of episodes, I thought why not compile a list via the Trek BBS?

Data is obviously introduced in Encounter at Farpoint, where he is defined as being like Pinochio, but little else about him is mentioned.

Which episodes, chronologically of course, should I watch next?

2. sebimeyer

sebimeyer Ensign Newbie

1.1 Encounter at Farpoint
    1.13 Datalore

3. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Hi Lurker, sorry I'm not sure where this comes chronololgically, more experienced will be able to help, but a must see in my veiw is 'The Offspring'. Again too novice to give you series number, but it is wonderful and shows Data's struggle to be human:)

4. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, this is my suggestion:

1st season:
    Encounter at Fairpont
    The Naked Now, because of his relationship with Tasha
    Datalore

2nd season:
    Elementary, Dear Data
    The Measure of a Man
    Pen Pals

3rd season:
    The Ensigns of Command
    The Offspring
    The Most Toys

4th season:
    Brothers
    Data's Day
    In Theory

5th season:
    Hero Worship

6th season:
    The Quality of Life
    Birtright, part 1
    Descent, part 1

7th season:
    Descent, part 2
    Phantasms
    Inheritance
    Thin Own Self

And maybe All Good Things, but if you want to do that with all characters, you can watch All Good Things when you're finished with all of them.

5. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr Commodore Commodore

Ahh, see you just need to wait for the people that know:)

6. sebimeyer

sebimeyer Ensign Newbie

wow, fast responses! And all in the time it took me to watch Datalore, no less. :techman:

Any addendums to the list?

7. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Rhaenys seems to have hit all the highlights. OTTOMH, I'd add "Silicon Avatar" to Season 5, as it ties into Data's origins and one particular aspect of his nature that was otherwise unexplored in the series.

8. Renvar

Renvar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Season 2:
    The Schizoid Man - Without giving too much away, it wasn't exactly about Data, but it showed some of how others expect Data to act. Plus, the beginning of the episode is pricelessly humorous.

9. Rhaenys

Rhaenys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, that is a good suggestion, too.

The most important episodes are in my previous post, but if you want more episodes, you could watch Peak Performance, from second season and Deja Q in third. They are not entirely Data episodes, but they show some aspects of his character. In season four you could watch Legacy. And Masks from 7th season, it's not a very good episode and it's not really about Data, but it shows a very interesting experience for him.
    And if you want to see Data in command I suggest watching Redemption, II from season 5, and Gambit from 7th season.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

^I second "Redemption, Part II"...but I'd pick a Data-centric episode like the Time's Arrow" two-parter over something like "Masks".