Lost 5x07: "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 25, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

67.1%
  2. Above Average

24.7%
  3. Average

5.5%
  4. Below Average

2.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for Lost 5x07: "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham".
    [highlight]***SPOILERS AHEAD***[/highlight]

"The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham"

[​IMG]

"Locke's fateful mission off the island as Jeremy Bentham is revealed."

This episode and "316" were written at the same time by executive producers Lindelof and Cuse. "The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham" was originally meant to be aired first, but the order was switched because Lindelof thought it would be "cool". - Wikipedia

2. Agent Richard07

Last week, BSG had an episode called "Deadlock". It would have been funny if this one was called "Dead Locke".

3. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Looking forward to this episode, want to see where it sent Locke after he flashed away and what lead to his suicide.

4. Agent Richard07

It looks like the promo gave it away. It looks like he ended up on a road just as a car was coming.

5. DeafPoet

DeafPoet Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah but not just any road from what I can see. We've seen this road before!

6. Agent Richard07

^ You're right. It was the place we saw Ben appear.

7. Agent Richard07

I can't decide between 'excellent' and 'above average', so I'll go with 'above average'. It was one hell of a ride, but it felt rushed for an episode of Lost and a lot of the story was just glossed over even if you could say that we got what we needed. The life and death of Jeremy Bentham was too quick.

8. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

This episode was confusing and informative and shocking. another excellent.

9. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

I was torn with Average. But as usual the last 5+ minutes pulled it up to above average.

10. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Pretty much Excellent

I expected this episode to be completely in the past, showing us what happened to Locke, I didn't think we would see him and the Ajira people on the Island, but I was pleasantly surprised.

So much is going on, there is a war forming indeed. Jack is on Ben's side, and Locke is on Widmore's side. I think Widmore is the good guy anyway, at least as good as you can get comparing him and Ben. It will be interesting to see what Locke does to Ben in the next episode.

11. Agent Richard07

Questions up in the air...

- Why did Ben kill Locke after telling him he had to lead?

- Where and when did the Ajira plane crash happen?

- Who was Matthew Abaddon really, and will we learn more about him?

- People here were mentioning the camera's focus on Locke's toes. Is there really any significance to that?

- Why did Locke have to kill himself anyway?

- What was up with Jack's breakdown? He acted like he's been visited by Locke repeatedly over the last three years or something like that.

- How does Walt factor into all of this and will we see him again?

12. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

I think Jack was f'd up over the daddy issues.

Excellent from me!

13. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

I think maybe because he just wants to be in control and really hated Locke cause Ben wants to lead the others.

Looking at the state of that station, and the fact that no one is there, and the fact that the Oceanic people flashed away, I am guessing the plane landed in "present time" So Locke and Ben and Lupitus and Sun are in the present time, while the others are time traveling. But for all I know they are all in the same time, i dunno.

Well, apparently he can die, heh. I am guessing he was maybe on the island too for a while with Widmore at some point.

My guess, nah

To be a proxy for John's dad, that's what Hawking said.

He just misses the island and is in denial

My guess, he doesn't fit in, not needed.

14. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

If Widmore was a good guy, Alex would still be alive, not to mention Carl and Danielle.

15. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Not perfect, but "gooder" than Ben at least, maybe. I dunno, I haven't seen Widmore personally kill anyone yet.

16. Trippy

Trippy NaNoWriMo Victim Admiral

^he ordered it though...and he was a complete and total ass to Desmond...unless he did it to get Desmond to the island...still an ass though.

Ben...well Ben is teh awesomeness in his own twisted little way :lol:

17. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Like I said in the commentary I think Ben had to make sure Ben died with the least amount of physical damage. A broken neck from hanging might have presented a problem.

I can see when they meet again and Locke confronts him about killing him and Ben says "I did it for yoooou Joooohn. You wouldn't want to be walking around with your head flopping around would you?"

Well, after last weeks episode and the giving of his only son (3:16), we were seeing symbolism of Locke having second thoughts and asking that the cup passes from him. Nonetheless, the Island's will be done.

18. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

he killed an other of bens in season 2 or 3 on the tv to jack

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Ben lies, both are manipulative, but Ben is a big fat lier. Ben is also a murderer. Remember, he may have killed Penny in the last episode.

20. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Excellent.

What a great hour of television. I really liked the format of the episode and Terry O'Quinn gave a knockout performance. It was nice seeing Walt again and all of Jack's visits with the island folks were good. Nice car crash sequence. Poor Helen though. And poor Abbandon.

Could smell Ben killing Locke a mile away but the scene was still effective. Don't know who to trust between him and Widmore. I like that we have a new group of survivors and they are in the present while some of the Five are in the past. One thing I'd like to know though...did Frank remember the way off the island?