Spoilers VAN: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Mar 19, 2012.

?

Rate Storming Heaven.

1. Outstanding

68 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. Above Average

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Average

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

My copy has arrived so I'll probably be starting it tomorrow:)

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Argh! Damn Amazon. Not due to arrive 'til tomorrow.

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Mine shipped today.

4. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Kindled, currently drunk Quinn on cobblestones.

David, do you try to do specifically 60s decors, fashions and designs in your Vanguard-writing (like the beehives that lovely Italian lass had in the first book)? I am picturing some wonderfully brown, 60s brutalist pavements and prefabs in Star's Landing.

5. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

More off-white than brown, but as for style, that sounds about right.

6. Min Zife

Min Zife Lieutenant Junior Grade

Blah. I'm glad its over. I gave the entire series a chance. but no. this is not my cup of tea. Kirk couldn't even redeem it. Nice that its over except for Wards ebook next winter. Bring on the 24th century!

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got mine and will start it on Saturday.

8. David Mack

Another satisfied customer. ;)

Seriously, sorry it didn't work for you. Perhaps you'll find more to your taste in my upcoming post-Nemesis TNG trilogy, Cold Equations.

9. Min Zife

Min Zife Lieutenant Junior Grade

Eagerly awaiting it. You've got the tng crew down. I think i just like the "established trek universe" rather than the new characters.

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dammit, ordered it yesterday from bol.com, together with Ex Machina which I still need to read. Turns out Ex Machina is out of stock and will be delivered somewhat later. No problem, except I chose to have them both delivered together. :(

11. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Just finished this and all I can say was that it was well worth the wait! What an end to a seven-year saga, even though I've read it all over the last year. :)

One unimportant question considering everything that happened in this novel...

I may have missed this in the text, but I just did a search on my Kindle. In the early chapters it makes reference to the Akhiel and the Buenos Aires operating in the vicinity of Vanguard.

However, during the battle there was no appearance of the Akhiel, although the Buenos Aires was drafted in to defend Vanguard. I just wondered what happened to the Akhiel?

12. David Mack

Based on the conversation between Nogura and Cooper, it's safe to assume that the Akhiel was more than four days away at the time of the emergency, which is why it didn't join the fight.

13. bok2384

bok2384 Commander Red Shirt

Of course, I thought that would be the case, but I just wanted to check.

Besides, its cooler to have the Enterprise come to the rescue at the last second than a Loknar-class frigate that no one gives a hoot about. :)

I just want to say again how much I enjoyed this novel. I certainly run the gamut of emotions while reading. You brought me close to tears on several occassions.

14. David Mack

Then my work here is done. :)

15. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Got the book today, and just finished it.

Loved it. Bittersweet like the rest.

I correctly predicted two things that would happen; one bad, one good.

The ending was satisfying and it was precisely how I thought the book would end. :)

But I must confess, I've never been a Carol Marcus fan and her appearance in the Vanguard series made me dislike her even more.

16. CaptainSarine

CaptainSarine Commander Red Shirt

A great book, a fitting end to the Vanguard series, which has to be one of the - if not the - best series in Trek lit.

One little thing - Ensign Kirsten Heffron, is that a wink to our very own kes7???! Or just a huge massive coincidence?

17. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great book, great end to the series.

I started this series on a train going to Nottingham to start University and I finished the series on my balcony in Sydney. I have great memories reading this series a great big thank you to everyone involved.

18. David Mack

I wasn't aware of her TrekBBS handle. I met her at Shore Leave last year; we were introduced by Marco Palmieri.

So no, not merely a coincidence. ;)

19. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Mine came in the post yesterday which was a pleasant surprise. Given the warm weather here I was reading it out in the back garden earlier.

20. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My review:

I spent the last several months longing for this book and I was not disappointed in the least. Storming Heaven was the epic conclusion that such an epic series deserved. Vanguard hasn’t merely been good Star Trek, it has been good science fiction; beyond even being a work of science fiction, it has been a wonderful story about consequences and redemption that kept me reading for the characters as much as the story itself.

I think what I enjoyed most about this conclusion is that although most characters got what they deserved, some of the wonderfully developed good guys met undeserved tragic ends. I’ve read many books where authors won’t kill off beloved characters out of what I imagine to be emotional attachment or a desire to use them again. However, in Storming Heaven I was grateful for the realism of heroic characters dying while doing heroic things with one in particular dying alongside those he was attempting to save thus making a worthless sacrifice. As saddened as I was by that particular loss, I was struck by the realism of soldiers who sometimes die knowing their nobility was in vain. In fact, I was shocked that more key characters didn’t die.

Another highlight about Storming Heaven was the moral conundrum between Dr Marcus, Ming Xiong and their Vault colleagues. I was struck, not only by how well the issues about enslavement, incarceration without trial, and weapons of mass destruction were executed, but also how relevant these topics are to readers. David Mack made me think about my stance in regards to these issues, especially with Carol Marcus’ statement, “Inside every cynic is a disappointed idealist.”

David Mack’s action sequences didn’t disappoint, as usual. The final Taurus Reach showdown was as long and dynamic as I was hoping for after reading the series.

I am very satisfied with Storming heaven and Vanguard itself. I’m glad I followed David Mack’s recommendation that I read these. As much as I wish I could see more of these beloved characters, I’m thoroughly satisfied with the conclusion to their story.