Why did Kirk tell Gaila "That's weird"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by rbnn, Jun 10, 2009.

1. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most likely, yes. Just as in quite a few other cases (although they mostly amounted to kissing, not sex).

He really fell in love 2 or 3 times, but the women (conviently for the show) had to die. He was even married as 'Kirok', when he had amnesia and did not know who he was. And there were cases when he fell for women because of weird outside influences... i.e. brainwashed in Dagger of the Mind, Elaan's tears, the woman in A Private Little War...Again no sex in any of those cases.. We also met some of his exes, and he didn't have the nicest experience with the one in Court Martial... And one of the women he had a relationship with in TOS turned out ot be a serial killer...

All in all, not very lucky with the ladies, all considered?

OTOH, he came off as a bit of a horndog in Wolf in The Fold... but then so did Scotty and McCoy.

He did do the comfort girl in Bread and Circuses, though...

Am I forgetting anything? He was portrayed as a ladies' man in so many episodes, but very few of those flirtations actually qualify as a relationship or a romance, and many did not even go further than the first base (or less).

2. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not so sure - I get the impression that this Kirk has one night stands and short term relationships and doesn't expect them to last and is surprised that Gaila thinks there is something more in this one. Also I imagine that Kirk doesn't want a long term relationship.

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

When Gaila calls for the lights and asks if Kirk doesn't love her, too, Kirk sits back and says, "No, I meant..." -- correcting her, as though he was meaning something else completely. Then Uhura interrupts them.

He's not talking about what she said.

4. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Yeah he really did get quite the rep. as a lady killer...now we only saw what was on screen...... so In my mind I'm granting Kirk a little more action than what actually happened ....of course, off screen wink wink.

That website broke it down and I was really surprised to see ep after ep with Kirk not going after anyone -- this reputation of his is larger than life!

5. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He's looking for a way out of the foot-in-mouth situation he's landed himself in.

6. Jeri

I don't think so. It doesn't look like embarrassment of any sort; just a misunderstanding.

7. Cakes488

We need the DVD dammit! When october right? I've never preordered a DVD...but I just may have to in this situation...then we can all argue all over again...isn't that going to be great!!!! :lol:

8. Jeri

November, I think. Someone said the 17th, but there's no official word that I know of. It's going to be a long few months. :)

There was something going on behind that scene, though; because Kirk found out how to reprogram the Kobayashi Maru from something he gleaned from Gaila.

So I think he's thinking about the test; not about her.

9. Cakes488

Yeah that's right...there is a lot that's left on the cutting room floor! I'm sure the DVD will reveal what the "that's weird" statement is referring too....So shall we make a date right now to argue this point on November 18th ..say around noon? You'll take the pro-point and of course I'll take the con....muuuuahhh. LOL

10. Jeri

I thought you had the pro, too. :lol:

11. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I've only watched it once, but is there any chance what he's actually reacting to is Uhura returning?

I don't know how big cadet quarters are, but could he have heard someone moving around when he's not expecting it? The Kirk version of spider-sense, I suppose.

12. Jeri

I think it's what I said just above. He's thinking about getting information from Gaila about the Kobayashi Maru test...

13. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Cool. so do you think that means there are more Kirk/Gaila scenes out there to be added to the DVD? Because if they never filmed any of it, then that line wouldn't be there.

14. Jeri

I hope so. It's in the book that he got the information from Gaila for the test the night before while intimate; maybe they filmed some of it. Like you said the other day, an extended version like LOTR would be great. It would be weird in itself to respond with "That is so weird," to what Gaila said. I think he was mulling over the test situation.

15. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't say it's impossible Jeri, but improbable based on what we did see in the movie. I believe he was caught off-guard, but I'm open to the idea that it was more than that. Would be really nice to see her again the sequel. In fact, I'd hope that Kirk wasn't so inexperienced with women that he'd say something so clearly awkward.

16. rbnn

rbnn Lieutenant Red Shirt

This information can also be inferred from his comment to McCoy that he was "studying" for the Kobayashi Maru, just prior to his scene with Gaila.

The inference to be made is that his relationship with Gaila encompassed the studying he referenced when he spoke with McCoy - otherwise there would have been no particular point to his comment (and Kirk doesn't make pointless comments).

17. rbnn

rbnn Lieutenant Red Shirt

No, because he was surprised to see Uhura. It is not impossible that Uhura made a noise prior to entering the room, a noise to which Kirk was reacting, but it's an implausible explanation because we don't hear it.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

She was also listed on the credits list only as "Orion cadet" almost from the time Rachel Nichols' casting was announced; the name "Gaila" didn't appear until around the time the movie went into general release, iinm.

19. Jeri

Yes, indeed; thank you for the reminder.

20. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

And you remember Bones saying "Study my ass.." because he knows Kirk is about to bed some woman.

It doesn't matter if he tries to gain information from Gaila about the test or not.. i'm still on the position that he was kind of "ambushed" by the love line because he (at least in my opinion) isn't in love with her and wanted at best some fun.
    However he's decent enough not to outright lie to her face to either get her to sleep with him (only minutes away judging from the scene) or get the info he needs so he stalls for time to think of a proper answer.

Isn't it interesting how the males respond to the scene and how the women here respond? :lol:
    An amateur psychologist would have a field day with this thread.;)