TOS Voice-Over Actor?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by cblmc1296, Jul 15, 2011.

1. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

^^ Excuse my misreading both your intentions. Going by the “winky” emoticon, I’m pretty sure Gary7 didn’t take the quote seriously either. I still think there ought to be a smiley for irony.

2. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IIRC it was Riker passing on the "mon ami" greeting to Picard from another ship's captain. Don't remember the ep, though.

3. Python Trek

Python Trek Commodore Commodore

West Consin, People's Republic of America
    Wouldn't "North Am" simply be short for "North America"? I don't think the person responsible for that graphic meant to imply that there's a country called "North Am". By the mid 22nd c., nations are all just provinces anyway, as I understand it.

4. cblmc1296

cblmc1296 Commander Red Shirt

We've both almost got it. Here is the exchange between Riker and Picard from Encounter at Farpoint:

PICARD: Did you signal the Hood, Commander Riker?
    RIKER: Your exact message. "Bon voyage, mon ami."
    PICARD: What was my answer, computer?

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Sure, it could've been an abbreviation, but who knows? Language changes in funny ways sometimes, and it often involves abbreviation.

6. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I think my favorite Doohan voice work was in A PIECE OF THE ACTION where he does the commercial ending with, "Brought to you by Bang-Bang, makers of the sweetest little automatic in the world."

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Encounter at Farpoint"? After DeSoto collected Admiral McCoy?

Picard refers to an illusion of his mother as "Maman" (ie. Mom) in "Where No One Has Gone Before".

8. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

In "The Defector," Picard refers to George Custer as a "countryman" of Riker's. So the USA does still exist as a country, Alaska is still apart of it, and Will Riker is the same nationality as Custer ... American.

9. Python Trek

Fair enough. IIRC, I've read one or two sf stories over the years in which the entire continent is united under one government and it's called "Noram".

10. Christopher

Or the "country" in question could be North Am(erica), which includes but is not limited to the former United States. After all, Alaska wasn't a part of the US until just 62 years ago. Countries can grow or combine with other countries.

Now, in "Lower Decks" we did have Riker correcting Sam Lavelle when the latter thought Riker was Canadian. But that could just be like what happened to me at Shore Leave recently when someone thought I was from New York and I told them no, I'm from Cincinnati. Just pointing out the difference doesn't mean they aren't part of the same geopolitical entity.

11. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes; early in Season 1. I was surpised to hear that word on a family-friendly show, just like years later when I heard O'Brien say "bollocks" on DS9.

Doug

12. Python Trek

Do Brits receive broadcasts of Married with Children? If so, what do they think of Peg's maiden name and home county, Wanker? :lol:

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't seem to find the correct screen capture of that graphic, could someone please provide?

Perhaps North Am could be something like the "Northern Armenian Matriarchy." Not to be confused with the SPAM, the "Southern Peoples Armenia Matriarchy."

:)

14. Christopher

It's the country that contains Indianapolis in the 24th century, so I doubt it.

15. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Getting back to the original subject, this sparked an email discussion with Bjo and others.

Suffice it to say that several blanks and erroneous listings have been corrected. Not just Mr. Edmiston, but several others that haven't been credited before.

16. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What was up, though, with the high pitched looping for Harry Townes during the exterior scenes when he leads the landing party to safety? "They're in the body, it's Landru." Yet, in the middle of that we get a close up where he says "It's too late. Look" and his voice is normal. Was the high pitch Townes' voice but screwed up in the studio, or another voice actor trying to imitate him (and failing miserably)?

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Most likely, they missed that bit.

18. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could be the actor himself having to loop a line and just not doing it the same as when the scene was filmed.

(Oh, and 'Looping' is having an actor come in to re-do a line and having the sound editor re-insert it because audio gotten during the actual take was not good enough - and there can be a lot of reasons why that happened.)

19. Christopher

^As I mentioned before, it was routine in '60s TV to loop every line of dialogue recorded outdoors. It may still be routine today. After all, outdoors you have to deal with wind, weather, airplane or traffic noise, and other unpredictable things that can interfere with recording voices.