Sir Patrick Moore has died

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Zulu Romeo, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

Just heard about it this lunchtime.

One of my absolute idols of science broadcasting. His TV appearances and his show "The Sky At Night," one of the longest-running TV shows in the world, helped continue my interest in amateur astronomy as a child, and still continued to do so today - I saw this month's (extended) edition only last night. I owned a number of his books on astronomy and the night sky, including one called "Astronomy for the Under-Tens" which I still have on my bookshelf.

He was also a terrific xylophonist, and was always a delight on the TV.

RIP, Sir Patrick. :(

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

^ Pretty much this. Patrick was a big influence on my childhood.

A friend whose telescope I used to use would to write to him, and Patrick would to reply in person - that says a lot about the man.

Patrick, you are missed already...

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Ahhhh, that crazy, fantastic old man...

He'll be much missed.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO_Ckg5ott8[/yt]

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admired his passion and eccentricity but some of his personal views left a lot to be desired.

A loss to the scientific community.

6. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I grew up watching him. I love astronomy and he always made even the most mundane aspects of it interesting. Will be sorely missed on the screens as I don't think there is anyone on the BBC (besides the Doctor) who is as openly enthusiastic as he was about the sky at night.

The Universe is quieter without him.

7. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

8. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't like his politics (though you could understand his personal reasons for not forgiving and forgetting over Germany. Not everybody can get past a personal tragedy), but he was a great TV personality, never reluctant to send himself up (The Goodies), and great at getting children into science and astronomy. I've still got his Scott Saunders SF books (near future SF: teenage trainee is assigned to learn from Dr Reggie Vale and Dr Carl Brand... thinly disguised versions of Patrick Moore and the Roger Delgado Master), and though I never met him, he reviewed some space artwork books for me a few years back, when I was running a reviews section, so I got close!

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I happened to randomly watch this month's Sky at Night earlier this week. I catch it maybe few times a year. I remember thinking at the time that it was remarkable how the dude kept going, despite clearly being unwell. I'm not really particularly into astronomy, and certainly not the practical side, though find it interesting as a general topic. But his enthusiasm for the subject was always quite remarkable, and infectious. A national institution if there ever was one. RIP Sir Patrick.

10. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very sad news if not unexpected after his most recent shows where I thought he looked close to death.
    I started watching The Sky at Night in around 1987 when it was already 30 years old since then I hardly missed it.
    I hope despite this really sad news I really hope The BBC don't use this as an excuse to can it.
    As for his political views well as the man himself said 'There are three things in life that you should never talk about in polite conversation; Politics, Football and what came before the universe'.
    I am going to miss him very much he was one of a kind.

RIP Sir Pat

11. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Sad to hear. :(

12. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

RIP I downloaded some episodes, great series. Will the BBC continue the program after his death?