Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old March 13 2014, 10:29 PM   #196
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Re: Bill Nye to debate Creationist tonight at 7 - 2.4 on CNN

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 03:19 AM   #197
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I've always disagreed with the concept of home schooling. I'm in favor of compulsory public education. Education should be standardized, and comprehensive.
I'm fine with private schools, it's their being funded with public money that ticks me off.
Old March 25 2014, 03:45 AM   #198
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Months ago I asked the question, why is it an "either or" debate at all? Why can't evolution be seen as one of God's many tools? Is he supposed to control everything at every second? Rain, wind, gene mutations? I guess meteorology is witchcraft as well, because weather doesn't evolve either, thunderstorms are all made by God personally. Wouldn't it be enough to believe that S(HE) created the universe and set up specific rules and mechanics after which the world functions? I don't get why some people are so desperately trying to force the idea of God into the world view.
You'll have to define what you mean by "God." A literal anthropomorphic male personality? Or is the anthropomorphic form not literal, but a symbol for a mystery which transcends all description? Do you mean a transcendence to which we can relate, or an imminence to which we identify in ourselves and each other? The personality of Yahweh, or the impersonal undifferentiated consciousness of Brahma? A father figure aloof somewhere in heaven, or a goddess mother figure symbolizing the creative aspect of earth itself?
Old March 25 2014, 04:41 AM   #199
LMFAOschwarz
Captain

I've never understood who appointed Bill Nye as the Bob Vila of science.

Then again, I've never understood who appointed Bob Vila as the Bill Nye of home repair, either.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 10:26 AM   #200
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I love the barrage and confuse tactics of creationists in a live debate with scientists. They just keep hurling a string of absurdities at these poor eggheads, until they are so concerned with responding to those "points" that the creationist himself can't be taken-on, directly. Scientists just end up looking the fool, because the suckers are there to present facts but are instead made to debunk made-up bullshit, on the fly. These debates always cater to the lowest denominator, taking comments out of context and deliberately choosing creationists with a knack for coming up with off the wall speculation. It's hardly a debate at all, it's merely spectacle.
Old March 25 2014, 10:51 AM   #201
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
that the creationist himself can't be taken-on, directly
In a debate of ideas and concepts, you're not taking on the person presenting them.

If you have to resort to attacking the individual, surely this mean your position is weak, no?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 11:13 AM   #202
J. Allen
Easily Influenced By Friends

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Bill Nye had facts, figures, statistics, and hard research on his side. Ken Ham did nothing more than hold up his Bible and claimed to know the answers. Even so, there were a lot of people who said Ken won the debate. People who want to be fooled, will be fooled, and they will require no evidence to do so. Hopefully, there was at least one person out there whose mind was changed by Bill's excellent efforts.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2014, 11:44 AM   #203
2takesfrakes
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
that the creationist himself can't be taken-on, directly
In a debate of ideas and concepts, you're not taking on the person presenting them.

If you have to resort to attacking the individual, surely this mean your position is weak, no?

I'm not talking about resorting to name-calling to vent frustration and insecurity. I'm talking about confronting the individual about their motives and attempts to knowingly, actively deceive the susceptible public. Instead, the onslought of fiction - often times made up, right there, on the spot - becomes this avalanche that the scientist can't get out of and has to give legitimacy to, in giving a rational response. The individual is not even there to debate, they are there to put on a show and that is what's being protected.
Old March 30 2014, 10:28 PM   #204
publiusr
Commodore

I might retort with some of the remarks we saw on the NOVA documentary:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/evoluti...ign-trial.html

NARRATOR: If they could show Pandas started out as a creationist book, that would suggest intelligent design is simply creationism repackaged and therefore inherently religious.

BARBARA FORREST: In the first 1987 draft, which is the pre-Edwards draft, the definition of creation reads this way "Creation means that various forms of life began abruptly, through the agency of an intelligent creator, with their distinctive features already intact: fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks and wings, et cetera." The same definition in this draft, after the Edwards decision, reads this way: "Intelligent design means that various forms of life began abruptly through an intelligent agency, with their distinctive features already intact: fish with fins and scales, birds with feathers, beaks, et cetera." Same definition, just one is worded in terms of creationism, the other one worded in terms of intelligent design.

NICK MATZKE: Everyone said intelligent design is creationism re-labeled. Never in our wildest dreams, though, did we think that this would actually be recorded in paper in a way that could be documented in a court case.

ERIC ROTHSCHILD: What I did was to pile on the witness stand articles all having very sophisticated explanations for how the immune system evolved, and basically challenged him to respond, given the claims that he'd made.

ERIC ROTHSCHILD (Dramatization): Now, Dr. Behe, these articles rebut your assertion that scientific literature has no answers on the origin of the vertebrate immune system.

NICK MATZKE: And then he starts to say, "Well, have you read this book, Dr. Behe?" And he starts to pile these up on Behe's witness stand. Eventually, Behe was almost dwarfed by the stack of scientific literature on the evolutionary origin of the immune system.

ERIC ROTHSCHILD (Dramatization): All these hard-working scientists publish article after article over years and years, chapters and books, full books, addressing the question of how the vertebrate immune system evolved, but none of them are satisfactory to you?

And if Ham wants to get cute:

TAMMY KITZMILLER: One letter was pretty disturbing. I think this was the one with the passage that...the last sentence especially: "Madeline Murray was found murdered for taking prayer and Bible reading out of schools, so watch out for a bullet."

CHRISTY REHM: We have a neighbor, actually, who was appointed to the school board and was in support of intelligent design, and he was out campaigning and saying very negative things about our family, how we're atheists, and, "if you vote for those atheists, well, then, God is not going to be happy with you."

So what we are left with are supposed Christians guilty of advocating both violence and fraud.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4 2014, 06:00 PM   #205
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

I'm talking about confronting the individual about their motives and attempts to knowingly, actively deceive the susceptible public.
Yes, but if you did do that, isn't it likely that your "opponent" would simply reverse those accusations right back at you?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Even so, there were a lot of people who said Ken won the debate.
People perceptions as to who won a debate is often based on how well they conducted themselves during the course of the debate.

Look at the way you phrased what you said, it wasn't Ken's position that won, it was Ken himself.

Hopefully, there was at least one person out there whose mind was changed by Bill's excellent efforts.
I will alway have a hard time taking Bill Nye seriously, because I remember him as a local Seattle comedian from years past.

To me he is just a performer looking for an audience, this is his most resent way of doing that..

Last edited by T'Girl; April 4 2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old April 17 2014, 05:47 AM   #206
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Bill Nye’s Take on the Nye-Ham Debate

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/bill_n...nye-ham_debate
Old April 27 2014, 09:20 PM   #207
publiusr
Commodore

I loved the part where he decided to use the “Gish Gallop” right back at the creationists.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27 2014, 10:09 PM   #208
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'm fine with private schools, it's their being funded with public money that ticks me off.
Given that it's a portion of "the public" that is sending their children to private schools, what could possible be wrong with a proportional amount of public money being used to pay for those children's education?

If (hypothetically) 10% of children go to private, then 10% of the education money should go there too.