JMS Quits Superman & Wonder Woman

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I'm just wonder how Clark even got some of these job interviews. Having been on both sides of the interview table I cant see how Clark could even get a call back, much less an interview without a killer resume with the appropriate background, training and qualifications. Even for a minimum wage entry level postion you dont walk in off the street and score an interview with the Boss/President/Founder/whatever.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here is JMS talking about his decision.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/J-Michael-Straczynski-leaving-montly-comics-101112.html

Wait a second here. He claims that he was brought on to "Superman" for the primary purpose of 'returning Superman to a high visibility profile' then goes on to say with non-comics readers!!! What? Didn't we just go through four years of high impact story arcs and a major, major Superman event during the summer time!!! How was his arc supposed to increase that otherwise??? I don't get that reasoning at all. I think he was brought on originally because he's a high profile writer and has a niche science fiction following because of "Babylon 5" and his other comic book work. They needed someone to fill the void of Geoff Johns profile and JMS cropped up.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  3. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Reminds me of the famous Chris Rock bit about people wanting credit for things they are supposed to do ("I take care of my kids!...Yeah, you're supposed to take care of your kids!")

A lot of my books have been on time!

Yeah, they're supposed to be on time.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I kinda got the impression in that interview that the name J. Michael Straczynski means a lot more for sales that the New Krypton / War of the Supermen epic, according to JMS anyway. Anyone know the sales figures on this?

5. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Superman (JMS) Issue #702 Sales: 50,023
    Superman (JMS) Issue #701 Sales: 54,506
    Superman (JMS) Issue #700 Sales: 67,571
    Superman War of the Supermen One-Shot Sales: 48,357
    Superman Last Stand of New Krypton Issue #2 Sales: 34,553
    Superman Last Stand of New Krypton Issue #1: 38,205
    Superman Issue #699 Sales: 33,183
    Superman Issue #698 Sales: 33,337

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Interesting. Here I was thinking that War of the Supermen was doing really well.

7. Admiral_Young

War of the Supermen was meh so I'm not surprised the sales were down for it. I enjoyed it, but as we discussed during the discussion thread most others doesn't. I'll be getting the hardcover in Feb though along with the prologue which is the Last Stand of New Krypton.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

While I wasn't crazy about the replacement Superman or reducing Supes to a single title, I enjoy the epic scope of the long form story and them changing things up in an interesting way. I just wish they had some decent artists because everyone for that entire story was decidedly B/C list.

9. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

He's of already? Hmm. I didnt care in the slightest for his Superman stuff, but was really enjoying the Wonder Woman.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

JMS interpretation of Star Trek already sucked donkey balls, so why did you think it would get any better with Superman? ;)

11. Admiral_Young

Actually I kind of liked his and Bruce Zybel's pitch, at least he got the character's symbolic significance to the series. As for his plot...it was meh at best, dredge at worst.

12. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of much of his comics work. Midnight Nation was great. Most of the other stuff is, to me, meh at best. That being said, I think he's right that the future of the medium is TPBs and not continuing series. Hell, most of the books out there are written to be collected as trades at this point anyway.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now I haven't been reading this, but couldn't he just do that at the end of each day? Superman? Superspeed? You know, go on his America walk in shifts. Maybe while Lois is in the office anyway.

I did read a blog review of Superman: Earth One that just excoriated it. The basic premise was that almost no single panel in the entire work was original or even worthwile. Made me laugh, 'cause this guy's usually pretty nice. Even did a praising write-up of Blackest Night, the deluded goof.

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.com/2010/11/making-sense-of-straczynski-daviss.html

14. Admiral_Young

Superman is apparently meeting the 'new' Wonder Woman in Chris Robinson's first issue of "Superman" in Feb. Superman feels like he knows her...uhhh so is Diana indeed trapped in some kind of personal time bubble or something? I really haven't read that book since the first issue.

15. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Pardon me for coming in late but let me contribute Larry DiTillio's own words from the introduction to his script as published in the B5 script books:

That was written on June 23, 2008.

He may well have been on-set since he had many friends in the production but he wasn't on payroll.

Jan