Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The perfect Brigadier line.

2. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that is PRECISELY why we're making sure our kids see the classics!

I saw Hartnell and Troughton in the UK as a child, then moved back to the States and only caught the occasional Tom Baker and Peter Davison stories on PBS. Netflix has given me the opportunity to catch up on all that I missed as well as being a source for dependable entertainment that we can share with our (now) 17 & 20-year olds. Alas, it came too late for the 28 year old. He's not yet converted to Whovian. But he's a lifelong Trekkie, so I don't feel that we've failed entirely! :)

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

"The War Games", Patrick Troughton's last serial (well, as the full-time Doctor, anyway). Possibly a bit padded over 10 parts, but it's 10 parts featuring Troughton so who cares? Very enjoyable stuff.

It's depressing, but hardly surprising, that there are people who are unaware of or don't care about the existence of classic Who. Such is life, I suppose.

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The War Games is fantastic, we need more 10 partners.

It is depressing, but usefull to know who these people are so they can be monitored.

5. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Genesis of the Daleks...Up to part 3.....After AOTD last week i'm now in a classic Dalek mood. :)

6. Pindar

I'm watching a fair bit of Cybermen stories, I watched the rise of the Cybermen two parter recently and I had forgotten how annoying ten and Rose were.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

In anticipation of the new series episode I watched Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Pretty enjoyable really. Interesting premise and message with the dinosaurs as more of a fun plot element rather than sole focus.

I like the first episode quite a bit with empty desolate London. Funny how anachronistic just trying to hitch a ride seems these day or a place being dead on Sundays. Pretty gory death scene there especially now in color. Thought the TRex smashing through the house was legitimately cool. People knock the dodgy effects but I would've loved them as a kid and still do in large part. Probably could've done without the extended dino clashing.

Love the Doctor here with his mugging for his mug shot, the retrotastic Whomobile looking awesome and loads ( too much? ) of Venusian martial arts. Could anyone get away with pinky rings and cloaks like Pertwee? Plus he actually saved the day in this one by reversing the polarity.

8. Pindar

Peter Wyngarde could pull of that look.

9. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Tomb of the Cybermen, just to remind myself why I like Patrick Troughton as the Doctor so much.

10. Pindar

Time Flight, good example of how quickly the Doctor can move on after losing a companion.

Looks like I have time to fit in the 5 Doctors this afternoon, think I'll listen to the Davey T commentary.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  11. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    I got through parts 1 & 2 of "Spearhead from Space" last week. It's actually the very first Doctor Who I ever watched back when my aunt loaned me some DVDs back in 2004. I'd say I certainly like this story a lot more now that I actually understand what the hell is going on and who all these people are.

Even then, it feels kinda like a different show than even most of the other Pertwee serials. But the whole thing looks amazing on film. It's a shame most of the rest of the show wasn't shot on film too.

Oh, he was always looking for a graceful way to ditch Tegan. I mean, do you see how excruciating he finds the prospect of her joining up with them again at the end of "Arc of Infinity"? He hates that idea even more than Tegan & Nyssa hate the idea of the Doctor inviting Turlough along with them at the end of "Mawdryn Undead."

Well, if you've seen all of the ones that do still exist, I call that a good faith effort. You can still claim "all" by that point. In fact, I don't even think episodes should count against one's total until they've been released on DVD. So you're off the hook for "Reign of Terror," "The Tenth Planet," "The Ice Warriors," "The Ambassadors of Death," "The Mind of Evil," "Terror of the Zygons," "Airlock," & "The Underwater Menace, Part 2." (What about "Planet of the Giants"? Is that out yet?)

12. Pindar

Yes, it's pretty good too.

Parts 3 and 4 were cut together to to make it a shorter runnig time so the whole thing comes in about the same length as a modern episode.

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, which is odd given I liked Rose with Nine, and I liked Ten with anyone else. It's just together they went all school-girly for some reason!

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Earthshock was the last one I saw, it's always been one of my favorites, the fifth Doctor's catch phrase came from this one, the Cybermen stuck halfway though the door was awesome and I LOVED Tegan's "Mouth on legs" line. But for me my favorite part of the story was the end of part three where the screen is split three ways and you can see the revived Cyberman army, Malcolm Clarke's music was awesome thoughout but especially in that scene.

15. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Pulled finger and watched The Daleks Masterplan 2, The Web of Fear 1 and bit of Inferno.

For shits and giggles I turned the chroma down on the telly: Inferno suddenly became more moody and atmospheric!

16. Pindar

I nearly watched Earthshock on Sunday, going through my dvd's I find my copy of the Twin Dilemma has gone missing.

It's pretty annoying as I have all the dvd's that have been released so far.

They were in a mess so I neatly reordered my shelves and it's gone.

Can't quite bring myself to buy it again, but I probably will.

17. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Wait, the 5th Doctor had a catchphrase?

I just finished parts 3 & 4 of "Spearhead from Space" last night. Liz Shaw is absolutely adorable!:adore: (It was weird though. Throughout part 4, I kept feeling like I was watching part 5 of 6, not part 4 of 4. I kept waiting for the next cliffhanger and all I got was a resolution.)

18. Pindar

I thought Brave Heart Tegan was his catch phrase.

19. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Yes it was and Earthshock was where it started as an ad-lib at that. :cool:

20. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched The Krotons over he weekend.