Kevin Smith Hints that Trek-XI is "Phenomenal"

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Locutus of Bored, Aug 23, 2008.

1. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

The guy thinks The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is only so-so, and thinks Revenge of the Sith is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I love Kevin Smith, but... this does not bode well.

2. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought LoTR was an overrated snooze-fest* and Sith is my third favorite SW movie (after Empire and Hope) so that doesn't bother me.

*Full disclosure: I disdain the vast majority of fantasy.

3. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Someone said LotR just then and I fell asleep..

4. DrTaylor

DrTaylor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The fact that someone saw and liked it bodes well. We don't all agree on the existing Trek movies. Someone on this board will not like XI, it's a fact. The fact that someone has seen and likes XI means that some of us will probably like it too. That's something.

5. Basil

Basil Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That is a large part of what's going on. Somebody in a studio fetted Smith as a spokesperson for Gen-X, and so the thinking is that if he likes it, a bunch of his fans will fall in line fawning after him. I'm rather indifferent to Smith's films, and almost completely unconcerned about his opinion, so it doesn't sway me one way or the other.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

"Nemesis" did that. it was supposed to good (Even).

7. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

Actually he praised the 3rd one which was a good movie. I think he liked the other 2 because he's a Star Wars geek, but he also realizes that they suck too. Same thing with some of us fans and Star Trek movies. Some of us may like whatever Star Trek movie, but you have to realize that it's a piece of shit if it really is one even if you like it.

Kevin Smith will say if it's a movie that only certain people will like and him being more of a Star Wars nerd and not really liking Star Trek that much from what I've seen and heard, adds even more credibility to this being a solid flick. I can't wait to see it.

8. GilmourD

GilmourD Commander Red Shirt

He's a fellow Jerseyite. He can't help but be blunt. :alienblush:

9. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

No, he called the 3rd one PHENOMENAL, and it most certainly is NOT.

10. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes but taken alongside the other two prequels, RoTS was certainly "phenomenal." Take whatever you will from that.

11. Zeppster

Zeppster Commodore Commodore

I think the 3rd one is on par with the original Star Wars movie. Don't know if I would say it's better though.

12. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's more on Smith's screening. Not much more to add other than he now specifically refers to Chris Pine as delivering a starmaking performance and that Zoe Saldana makes Uhura a much more interesting character. Perhaps she has a big role in the film? That'd be really cool.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm very encouraged at this latest assessment by Smith.

All together, now:

He's seen the movie.

We haven't.

Regardless of his taste, his opinion is an informed one.

We're just pissing in the wind, here. :lol:

14. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

Unlike others who have actually eaten faeces, I haven't eaten it, but I'm pretty sure it tastes... like s***.

15. Admiral Buzzkill

Me too, but I'd still give more credit for experience to an assertion by someone who had than someone who hadn't. :lol:

16. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another point is that so far everyone who has seen it: Paramount brass, the filmmakers, Kevin Smith, even Harry Knowles--who only saw pieces, has not only liked it, but loved it. I'd be interested in hearing some of the criticisms of the film from those who have seen it, but I haven't heard any so far.

The only criticisms I've heard about the film are places like this, and it's about relatively superficial stuff like how close stuff looks to TOS. Fun stuff that, but minor enough that my expectations and anticipation are higher.

17. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Swap out his name with Joss Whedon and I'll agree with you. He's the worst. Everything he does has that smart ass, hip, ironic, self referring BS that fanboys exude when they are trying to be cool and distance themselves from the thing they like so as to appear "normal". Whedon's the worst kind of fanboy because he is one, with all the annoying self righteous baggage that comes with it. At least Smith seems like a guy I can have a beer with.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Neither of them are "fanboys" - they're both people who were fans but have the talent, acumen and dedication to make good professional livings as writers/producers/directors.

I guess I'll never adjust to the "fanboy" proclivity to speak dismissively, without unselfconsciousness or any hint of irony, of people who've achieved what they're not capable of.

19. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

No mention of abusive uncles in Smith's review. I'm beginning to doubt that he actually saw it.

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

You mean in that extremely brief and deliberately vague review of the quality of a film he couldn't directly admit to talking about he didn't mention a specific plot detail?

SHOCKING.